UMDNJ- NJMS (in- state) vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedicalDoc2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hasn't been a post on this since 2006. Which would you chose and why?
Thanks in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

double post

Last edited:
Hasn't been a post on this since 2006. Which would you chose and why?
Thanks in advance for your responses!

NJ, hands down. It's in-state (so cheaper) and NYMC I didn't even attend my NYMC interview (just didn't seem like much of a program). I don't know much about NJ, but I'd expect it's at least as good (if not better) than NYMC.

To add a little data, NJ hasn't submitted info to US News, but NYMC is below average for both primary care (2.3/5.0) and specialty/research (2.3/5.0) residency program reputation and is unranked overall in all categories. It's also not in a particularly desirable location, IMO. Of course, some people like it, so it's all about what you want in a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
NJMS without a doubt. I turned down my NYMC interview after I found out I was accepted to NJ.

Why?
-It will be cheaper
-NJMS has awesome clinical experience, association with Hackensack with is one of the best hospitals in the NY area
-NJMS has a banging match list

Theres no decision in my mind unless NYMC ends up being much cheaper.

Living in Valhalla is probably a lot safer than living in Newark.

I would choose NYMC.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

I would choose NYMC.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

This coming from the person who would choose being an IMG over being a DO... :rolleyes: militantly, I might add.

NJMS hands down, no contest

NYMC doesn't give you any more prestige and therefore doesn't put you in a better position for matching to justify the extra tuition

Thanks everyone for your replies so far! I am leaning towards NJMS at this point, although the facilities were very nice at NYMC. The feeling of collegiality at NJMS is really awesome. Anyone else with any more input on this? Maybe a current NYMC student who chose it over a state school? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.