UMDNJ OR TEMPLE? ALSO another imprt. question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osushi gurl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek:
I'm really stressed out guys!

I have been accepted to Temple and UMDNJ, and waiting for UOP (they want me to retake the DAT)

Since I am not familiar with the east coast, does anyone have any opinions about these 2 schools. Yes, I visited the schools for interviews but I really don't know which school to pick!

I know they don't rank schools, but which has a better reputation?

OH ONE MORE THING...I want to go back to California to practice. People say its harder to pass the boards here. why? how? they also say they teach different here than the east coast. How so?

and...what is the procedure for taking the CA boards? do i have to take the northeast regional exam first?

help me out!!!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Both schools have good reputation as clinically-oriented schools. Temple is a private school while UMDNJ is a state school (which might be cheaper even for an out-of-stater).

I think it boils down to if you want to be in Philly or Northern Joisey (right across the Hudson River from NYC).

No, you don't have to take the NERBs first if you want to practice in CA. You can fly right back to CA to take the state board there as long as you have the necessary patients for the clinical portion of the exam (you may have to fly the patients out to CA with you).

It might be a good idea to do the NERBs though. In case you don't pass the CA boards on your first try, at least you got 21 other states where you can practice!

HTH!

i'd go for umdnj for the price alone... the school should be about the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by UBTom
Hi,

Both schools have good reputation as clinically-oriented schools. Temple is a private school while UMDNJ is a state school (which might be cheaper even for an out-of-stater).

Temple is a private school which is subsidized by the state...so it is cheaper for residents as compared to non-residents...but still cheaper than a lot of other private schools out there..just wanted to clear that up...:D

You may also want to see if either of the schools offer the West Coast Board exam at their school. I know some of the schools I interviewed at mentioned that they did this and that many west coast folks take advantage of it.

Really? which schools did you interview at that has the option of taking CA boards?

Definitely not UMDNJ-- It is a public school, and it exists to serve the State of New Joisey. :D They ain't about to help their own taxpayer-subsidized dental students move to the West Coast by offering to prepare them for the WREB or CA Boards.

Some private schools might, yes, but definitely not public schools like the SUNYs or UConn or UMDNJ.