UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorperez

Jesus was a dissident
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heb 10:17

Members don't see this ad.

hey! finally- someone else going to SOM! I've been waiting to see a thread about us! :)

i'm so excited about starting in August! (okay not about the august part- but about the starting part anyway!)

are you originally from NJ? i'm from Morris County, so I'll be living in Southern NJ for the first time.

i'm pretty sure there's other people on here that are going to SOM, but we do have quite a small class, so I didn't expect many.

do u know where you're living yet?

Hi Smilez!1

Gosh I am glad to see you LOL

well no I am not a NJ native..so I am full of south NJ questions. Exactly , we are a small class so this thread most likely will not have as many subscribers at this website.

I do not have a roommate or place to stay yet..actually I am desperately looking...any ideas? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to SOM also. I'm also from North Jersey, but I have a friend that goes to SOM, so I have been there to visit many times. I looked at a few apartments when I was down there, but it is very overwhelming, because there are about a million of them, and they all tell you that they are in a safe neighborhood, when clearly this is not true.

hey, the area where the school is is not that bad, at least it is not in Camden( seriously Rutgers Camden isn't too bad either, if you live on Campus and they are renovating the area drastically)!
I am sure the class of 2005 and 2006 would be happy to give you some tips on finding a place to stay. Didn't the orientation packet also give you a list of apt complexes to look at?
As a faculty member, I congratulate you on your acceptance to our school. If you have any questions about the area and the living facilities please feel free to ask.

Check that out!!

We even got some Faculty - MS1 Bonding up in here! :cool:

Prof. Could you comment on the funding cuts by the governor? I thougt it was something in the past that would not happen but I seem to be mistaking. Thanks .

:clap:

i know a couple of people down there at SOM as well :) they love it!

after taking a day to tour the wonderful apartments in Stratford & the surrounding area (as well as reading online reviews)- I have seen that the number one place NOT to move into is Fountain View Village on Little Gloucester Road. The PR brochures make it look awesome, but I've heard it's a total hellhole to live in.
Other than that it is a toss up I think. I'll be movin' into my new place at the end of July! :)

drperez - i suggest you take a day and go look around at the apartments down there ASAP. A lot of them offer student discounts. Did you get that red packet with the complexes listed in a spreadsheet? If not let me know, I can probably send you some of the info via email.

so excited for the white coat ceremony on August 3rd!!! :)

yay SOM class of 2007!!

:clap:
Doc Perez,

You won't see much of this faculty member until second year!
LOL....
As for the funding problems with the state:
This is something that is happening all over the country, we are having to tighten our belts. Some faculty are being laid off. While that is unfortunate, please be aware that many of the faculty here are commited to providing you with a quality education. Some of us are exploring the use of computer learning in ways to enhance that education. But you as a student must be aware that much of your education is in your hands. Please give us feedback, as much as possible. I for one, need this feedback in order to update my course so that each years class gets the best educational experience possible.
As for living spaces....My recommendation is to try to get apts a little farther away from campus than the local apts....There are communities, which are within 20 minutes driving to campus that are cheaper and in better communities. Try Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Moorestown, washingtownship and Gloucester Township.
By the way..if my moniker doesn't give me away..I teach pathology, second year

hey abs & drperez,

where are you guys from originally? I'm curious to see when we get there in August how many out-of-staters we have. I'm definitely a NJ girl- born & bred! :) (And- I can now proudly say that I will have completed my entire education in the NJ State Public School System...)

I'm kind of upset that I can only bring 2 people to the white coat ceremony.... I have to leave my boyfriend at home :( :( Anybody out there only bringing one guest?? He he he....

I'm kind of upset that I can only bring 2 people to the white coat ceremony.... I have to leave my boyfriend at home

First of all, ignore that. I agonized over it and finally ended up bringing just two of my grandparents (leaving my father, sister, and other grandmother at home, which annoyed me greatly), and arrived to find out that everyone else had brought as many people as they pleased- and that there was still plenty of room. Don't bring the whole football team (especially as the class size has increased in the last year or two), but I don't think you'll have a problem with three or four people.

(Don't quote me on that. It's entirely possible that they've decided to get strict about it- but I haven't heard anything. Then again, I really wouldn't. :))

Re: Housing

I have a friend who lives in Fountain View. She likes it well enough, but the rent is increasing a lot and she doesn't think that it's worth it for next year.

A lot of people live in the Village in Voorhees. I've heard mixed reviews, but it is close to the school, close to the mall, and close to the train. It's also in a good neighborhood. On the other hand, you pay for it- Voorhees is not a cheap place to live. There have also been a lot of fires there recently...

There are lots of places in Lindenwold, Pine Hill, and the other small towns around Stratford. Lots of people live there but, again, be careful. A lot of them are not in good areas. I had friends living next-door to drug dealers (without incident, luckily). If you can afford it, think outside the box and look at other areas, as our esteemed pathologist has suggested. I live in Cherry Hill and, despite despising my condo (long story- I'm a weird case when it comes to housing... which has led to more than a few problems with financial aid), I'm satisfied with the area. Very safe, and I am conveniently almost equidistant from three of our four major affiliates.

(Another disclaimer: financial aid is great. They're really nice, and they really do their best for you. Unfortunately, my financial aid has gotten screwed up every single year... but that's not the norm, and they're good about untangling problems.)

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm on an easy rotation, so I may actually get back to people in a reasonable amount of time. Current project: a comparison of Scrubs and ER. Yes, for the rotation. Life is momentarily good.

Paige

Hi Smilez

I got the red package, but I find it daunting leasing an appartment off a list without looking at it. I am heading down there to check out the scene in a few days God willing. Thank you anyway. I get butterflies just to think of the White coat Cerem. too. Oh yeah and I am from out of state - pretty far from NJ :cool:.

Dr. dermpathDO we will be seeing more of you second year LOL... all right!. So the cuts are real but bearable. I for one, do not mind being given more responsibility for my own education, I did lots of Indep. studying during undergrad so that should not be too hard during med. school. Plus I get the feeling i can get to build me a really funky medical education (in the good sense of funky that us :laugh: ).

EVERYONE: How is public transportation around school and from the usual rental communities?

I am glad Naraku sorted us out on the White coat ceremony invitee limit there, my, i would have had some upset relatives standing by those auditorium doors :D , I will not bring a football team but you know two or three more than the recommended 2.

And about Housing, Oh Lord allow me to find the right place in little time I pray, amen :)

See you guys there!

BTW : I am doing pre-matric, anyone else?

EVERYONE: How is public transportation around school and from the usual rental communities?

Ha. Funny.

Oh, wait- you were serious? :) This is Jersey. Everyone drives. Everyone. I mean it. I know that there is a such thing as a "bus," and people actually have made use of the "train" (mainly to get into Philly, although there is a stop right by Lady of Lourdes in Camden), but I really can't think of anyone who uses them for day-to-day living. That doesn't mean that there aren't any public transportation devotees... but I really recommend having a car. There was one guy in my class who used to ride his bicycle to class, though.

If you do live on a bus route and if you have friends willing to drive you around when necessary, you can probably get by without one for the first two years. However, once you start rotations, it will be very difficult to manage without a car. We have four local affiliates, and we spend time at each of them in our third year. Even if you can hitch a ride with someone at the same site, we also spend time in different offices, and most offices only have one student at a time. Factor in the weird times we arrive and depart and the random lectures at the school... yeah. It only gets worse in fourth year when you can schedule electives outside of the system.

Anyway, it's possible to get by without a car for a while, but I don't recommend it. Sooner or later, you'll need one.

BTW : I am doing pre-matric, anyone else?

Just relax and enjoy the pre-matric program. It's mainly useful for early bonding with your classmates-to-be. It's billed as a head start, but everyone I've spoken to says that it doesn't really affect your grades either way past the first block. Still, it can't hurt, and it's good to get settled in early.

Paige

come on class of 2007

The 2003 Pre-matriculation program has ended today and I feel that I am ready to start the semester. I can't wait to meet the rest of my classmate. This is a great school!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
come on class of 2007

The 2003 Pre-matriculation program has ended today and I feel that I am ready to start the semester. I can't wait to meet the rest of my classmate. This is a great school!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So bentz have you made up your mind between SOM and PCOM?

I can't believe tomorrow is August 3rd already!! (Although this week did go by pretty slowly)

I'm very excited to be starting school- but nervous at the same time. Anyone else getting those MS1 jitters??

bentz- did you decide yet? I should hope so- SOM starts tomorrow!! :) ;-)

I think it will really set in tomorrow- we're gonna be doctors guys!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

8:15 sharp!! Tomorrow LOL

Congrats on staying the course and have fun on your first day tomorrow.....Hope you guys can sleep tonite....Maybe I will see you on Weds when i have lecture with the 2nd years....thier lecture hall is right next door to yours.

Hi, everyone

There is nothing I don't love about this school so far. I think the white coat ceremony is awesome :), and Dr. Anderson from KCOM is such a wonderful speaker. Of course, our dean, Dr. Gallagher, and our associate dean, Dr. Wallace, are such lovely human beings. I think our curriculum is very strong and best of all, free food all week long guys. Yee...I never think of being treated this nice in all my college years...:clap: :clap: :clap: What do you guys and gals think?

Have a wonderful volley ball and barbecue tonight.

Looserdude.

i love the school so far too! All of the faculty and staff are very friendly and helpful :) The white coat ceremony was great! I want to see those videos that we made- I still haven't met a lot of people in our class.

I just got back from the BBQ. It wasn't half bad :)

I think we find out who our preceptors are tomorrow. I'm kind of excited about it!

I got to talk to a lot of 2nd & 3rd years today about books & classes & life in general.

Tomorrow- day 2!!

~smilez

I just got back too!

Volleyball was good and so was fuzzball and pool and ping pong

:cool:

The cheeseburguers were not bad, they were good and tomorrow free pizza I heard.

Ahh the videos, I want to see that LOL

This is the best school in the world guys, we are treated like royalty the way it should be...

My preceptor is a guys supposed to be big into OMM his picture was shown by Dr. Mogil, I have enjoyed my preceptorship with him so much. Hope you guys get great doctors as well. Best Wishes!

Ahh the videos, I want to see that LOL

Heh. They're also shown during the graduation dinner. That should be... interesting. :)

The free food will last for a while, especially when the clubs start gearing up for membership. The downside is that you will quickly tire of Papa John's, and you will begin judging organizations by the quality of their food. It's unavoidable.

Orientation is fun- take advantage of it while you can. The reality will start hitting home next week- med school isn't always easy. (But it can be still be fun. Most of the time.)

Any questions, feel free to grab me. I'm at Stratford for the month, and you'll probably see me around. Just look for longish red hair and a distracted expression. Oh, yeah- and a white coat. It grows on you after a while. (Like mold.)

Paige

I will be watching you!!

:cool:

Originally posted by doctorperez
So bentz have you made up your mind between SOM and PCOM?
:clap: :clap: :clap: UMDNJ-SOM all the way baby !!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :

hey..

I asked this question in the pre-osteopathic forum, but i figure that might have more luck asking students that have gone through this last year.

comin from another state like MA for example, will getting a NJ licence and new insurance policy clean ur points on ur insurance or do they stick with ya?

does it depend on the insurance agency? or maybe the state that you're comin from?

thanks

Hi im also starting school in August. I cant wait.
Yeah when i visited Stratford and loved the area.
Previously i went to school in Berkeley and downtown London England so im very excited to be in the suburbs where the pace is a bit more reasonable.

Im on the lookout for anyone look for a roommate. Id probably arrive Mid July.

Let me know if you are also looking or if you know where i can find rooms for rent or cheap places.

[email protected]

Andrew

Where are some places the class of 2007 live? The class of 2008 is looking for apartments/condos/houses. Please share your experiences with where you have lived.

-J

Hey,

I'll def. be needing a job down in stratford, as I'm sure many of my classmates will as well. How easy is it to find a decent place to work down there, off campus, or maybe even on campus?

Are there any really good opportunites that we should jump on soon before classes begin?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

chikantikka said:
Hey,

I'll def. be needing a job down in stratford, as I'm sure many of my classmates will as well. How easy is it to find a decent place to work down there, off campus, or maybe even on campus?

Are there any really good opportunites that we should jump on soon before classes begin?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Working during school is going to be very difficult. Iam sure you've been told this before. The max to take out last year was about 42,000 and you can live on this. If you must work, what sort of work are you looking for??

really just anything with flexible hrs and not much stress. i guess we got classes from 9 to 5 some somethin that would fit in the evenings

*edit* just talked to an 2nd yr and she said that finding time to work between 40 hrs of class a week is probably not a great idea, so thanks anyway.