UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullhorn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the thread.....who else will be at UMDNJ-SOM next August? Holla back...

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there!!! Can I get a what what???

Members don't see this ad :)
AAAHHH!!! I'm on the wait list...... But it ain't ova....

Congrats to you guys! Hope to see ya there in August.:clap:

I'll be there too.

Ill be there as well... looking forward to it!

Joan

Ill be there as well... looking forward to it!

Joan

got the call today. :clap: the ppl at the office are so, so very nice

just got the phone call tonight...

got in to UMDNJ-SOM!!!

does anyone else have a hard choice to make? I got into PCOM and already put money down but tuition would be so much nicer at UMDNJ, decisions decisions.

- J

PTjay, congrats. THere is definitely a tough decision. I, too, had to choose between PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM (and actually a few allopathic schools). No matter how much I liked PCOM, which I did, I could not deny the feeling I got while on UMDNJ-SOM's campus. So PCOM didn't even see a deposit from me. This doesn't mean UMDNJ-SOM is the best place for YOU. I say go with your gut feeling when you were on each of the campuses. You can't go wrong with that decision.

I got wait-listed too. What are the chances of getting in?

I'll be there in August too! Congrats to everyone that got accepted and good luck to those who are interviewing or are waitlisted!

PTJay, I was accepted to both PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM and I originally felt torn between the two schools. However, for me, I just felt more comfortable at UMDNJ-SOM and I'm pretty sure that I will attend in August. Good luck with your choice and just choose the school that will be the best fit for you.

thanks for the good wishes ziggy and bull,

i'm going to take my time with the decision and speak to some residents that i work with (people from both schools who hopefully can help steer me, i was thoroughly impressed with both schools).

congrats to all those who got accepted to SOM's great program!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for those that may have received good news recently...

Congratulations to you all - looking forward to learning with you folks in NJ!

Anyone who got accepted mind posting their stats? I would really appreciate it.

Sure,

GPA overall 3.4, science 3.3
MCAT 31 (B 8, P 12, V 11)

Good luck!

Will anyone attend the reception for accepted students in March? I wonder if we have to dress formally.

I'll be at the March reception too. :clap: I don't think that we have to dress formally. I'm a girl so I'm probably going to wear pants and a sweater.

Just wear something reasonably nice to the March reception... pants and a sweater are fine. It's not formal at all.

(And don't worry- it's not like they'll rescind your acceptance if they don't like what you're wearing.)

Enjoy!
Paige

who is an out of stater and got in? thanks!!

ya, I'm a MA resident

How are people going about with the apt. and roomate search process?

Looking more and more like I'll be attending UMDNJ-SOM. My parents are helping me out big time with the apartment/condo hunt as I'm currently living in LA (long story).

I have spoken with a first year resident who gave some advice regarding where to look for housing. Basically Voorhees, Cherry Hill, and Hinell (? sp) were her suggestions.

Who else will be there and how soon will you get there???

-J

theDr. said:
who is an out of stater and got in? thanks!!

I got in!!!! and I'm from NY if you can consider that out of state.

I got in too.

Trying to figure out the housing situation now. When are most others planning to arrive in Stratford? I thought id try to be moved in and settled by July 20th or so. I have to quite my job, move etc.

Any one have info on first semester classes? Textbooks required? Etc.

I agree with everyone else UMDNJ had a very nice and comfortable campus.

I'm not going there, but I am a South Jersey boy, so if you people want to know anything about the area let me know. Actually I pass by it all the time, and they have really improved the campus from before. I hope you all have a car or access to one, cause its pretty much straight up suburbia at its finest. As for places to live, there's plenty of surrounding suburbs, but try to live near the highway, that way you can be in philly in 15-20 minutes. Also consider Washington Twp as you will rotate through the hospital there, but your commute will be about 25 min to school. There's plenty of surrounding in and around stratford, just all residential, so they aren't so conducive to renters. If you go with Cherry Hill, pick carefully, its probably more expensive then the others and may give you one headache of a commute as well. Voorhees shouldn't be too bad I would think. Anyway, hope I helped some of you.

July 20 seems a reasonable time to arrive. That's when I'll get there. I'm staying at work through July 9 then doing the move. Then once I'm there I gotta do the whole lease/car registration (auto insurance, yuck)/drivers license business for tuition purposes.

For that matter, does anyone have a good handle on auto insurance agents they could recommend? NJ makes it difficult for anyone out of state to buy, or even get a quote, for auto insurance (very few if any companies will supply an online quote). Thanks for any leads.

I'll be moving around the same time as glamvamp. Hopefully this will allow enough time to get all the paper work and what not done to qualify for in state tuition and get the NJ license, insurance, apartment set up, etc.

Let's keep this thread going, can't wait to meet more classmates!
-J

glamvamp18 said:
July 20 seems a reasonable time to arrive. That's when I'll get there. I'm staying at work through July 9 then doing the move. Then once I'm there I gotta do the whole lease/car registration (auto insurance, yuck)/drivers license business for tuition purposes.

For that matter, does anyone have a good handle on auto insurance agents they could recommend? NJ makes it difficult for anyone out of state to buy, or even get a quote, for auto insurance (very few if any companies will supply an online quote). Thanks for any leads.

:laugh: Welcome to the state with the nation's highest auto insurance rates. This is partly because there's too many cars (most densely populated state), and partly because we all drive like maniacs. If you want my advice, get AAA auto insurance, it has been by far the cheapest around. You might have to be a member, but that costs like $25 a year or something. Hope that helps.

Yep, you do have to be a member, specifically a member of one of the New Jersey AAA clubs. I called AAA because I'm a member from another state, but I'd have to get a totally new membership in NJ. But, as you say, if it's the least expensive, then it will be totally worth it! Thanks for the tip.

As a first year student and someone that didnt make it to the orientation a few months ago, how do you go about the roomate process.

Is there a way to get a hold of people that are lookin in certain areas? I'm sure most of the people have roomates that also go to UMDNJ..that would def be ideal in terms of a good environment..

Any one with experience from thier first year care to share how they went about it? I pretty much am lookin at the smallest commute to the school.

thanks.

bump

where are all the SOM 2008ers?

I was wondering if you guys could post your stats. I'm applying right now, and UMDNJ-SOM is #1 on my list. I was at the Open House and fell in love with the people and the campus. I'm looking for GPA, MCAT, and State of Residence....thanks a bunch!

hypersting said:
:laugh: Welcome to the state with the nation's highest auto insurance rates. This is partly because there's too many cars (most densely populated state), and partly because we all drive like maniacs. If you want my advice, get AAA auto insurance, it has been by far the cheapest around. You might have to be a member, but that costs like $25 a year or something. Hope that helps.

Hey hypersting or anyone else that might know,

comin from another state like MA for example, will getting a NJ licence and new insurance policy clean ur points on ur insurance or do they stick with ya?

I thought maybe some NJ-ites might know..

thanks

chikantikka said:
Hey hypersting or anyone else that might know,

comin from another state like MA for example, will getting a NJ licence and new insurance policy clean ur points on ur insurance or do they stick with ya?

I thought maybe some NJ-ites might know..

thanks

Usually when you apply for a new insurance policy (this is not particular to NJ) they ask you about your previous tickets/accidents/etc. within a certain timeframe, say, the last three years. Number of years I think depends on the insurance company and/or the state. So your new auto insurance premium will reflect those incidents, if any. As for the drivers license, I don't know how they process that, if there's cross-talk between the states' agencies or not. I don't know if they ask you for incidents or descriptions of your points on your license. As long as your license is valid (i.e. not expired, not suspended), you should be able to trade it in for the NJ license, provided you have proof of person, age, and NJ address. Check out below. Being currently out-of-state myself, this is what I have to go on:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/index.shtml

Any golfers in the class of '08? I'm looking to spend some time on the links before classes begin in August.

-J

We should get this in the mail soon, but the online brochure regarding the health insurance we are eligible for through the school is available now. Here is the start page listing both the mandatory (if you don't have any other coverage) health care plan and the optional dental plan:
http://www.universityhealthplans.com/temp/UMDNJ/intro.html .

Just wanted to pass it along!