UMDNJ-SOM - Class of 2011 PBL Group Approved!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBL2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The UMDNJ-SOM Curriculum Committee has just approved a new PBL group for the Class of 2011.

Official letters of notice will be mailed to incoming students no later than Monday, but I was told I could spread the word now.

Dr. Peter Stein has permission to give PBL student e-mail addresses to anyone who wants to know more about the PBL curriculum.

Best wishes,

Rana
UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010
PBL Curriculum Representative

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

The UMDNJ-SOM Curriculum Committee has just approved a new PBL group for the Class of 2011.

Official letters of notice will be mailed to incoming students no later than Monday, but I was told I could spread the word now.

Dr. Peter Stein has permission to give PBL student e-mail addresses to anyone who wants to know more about the PBL curriculum.

Best wishes,

Rana
UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010
PBL Curriculum Representative

I got my letter today...

Question:

What source materials are available for PBL students to use for the self directed learning/small group process...

I'm not the biggest fan of lecture-based learning, but I find that the distilled power-point slides combined with group discussion are more helpful than trying to pull the info out of a book myself. Would I have access to the materials given to the lecture based students or would I be 100% responsible for digging up the material being that week? (if so, where is that usually found? I can wiki/google as well as anyone else, but I'm guessing that won't provide the med school level material needed)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my letter today...

Question:

What source materials are available for PBL students to use for the self directed learning/small group process...

I'm not the biggest fan of lecture-based learning, but I find that the distilled power-point slides combined with group discussion are more helpful than trying to pull the info out of a book myself. Would I have access to the materials given to the lecture based students or would I be 100% responsible for digging up the material being that week? (if so, where is that usually found? I can wiki/google as well as anyone else, but I'm guessing that won't provide the med school level material needed)

Hi Depakote,

I just got off a plane so I'll keep this brief, but please feel free to contact me or my classmates via Dr. Stein for more extensive conversation. My classmates & I got a lot of great advice & information from past PBL students and are eager to help future students in a similar way.

PBL students have access to a wide variety of resources, including lecture materials. However, we typically find that other materials (e.g., books, highly useful online texts and resources available to all students, & each other) are more effective learning tools. I personally find it hard learn from a Powerpoint presentation if I have not attended lecture -- a certain level of detail is important for me to understand a given concept.

I think that the question is not so much one of resource availability, but whether you prefer to learn from professors or in a more self-directed format. There are more great resources available than any med student could possibly explore. :)

Good luck in choosing the best curriculum track for you. Both are great options and the best one for you is highly dependent on your preferences and learning style.

Take care,
Rana

Just a heads up for you guys in terms of online resources... there is a great bookmark in the allo forum for good online resources - I use the Micro one all the time (dl'd all the lectures on my iPOD). Theres also great anatomy videos and all sorts of good stuff.