Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UMDNJ-SOM Summer Program

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Jessica, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member

I'm going to be attending UMDNJ-SOM in the fall, and I just got information about their 5 week summer program. Now I know that it is geared toward nontraditional students, and I'm rather traditional - 21 and majored in chem and bio. But I guess the "premed" in me is making me doubt my abilities. Maybe I should do this? Otherwise, I'm planning on doing a little work at a pharmaceutical company and spending lots of time on the beach relaxing. Any feedback would be appreciated! Much thanks, Jessica.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pirulo

pirulo Member

I'm also going to umdnj-som in the fall, I thought about the summer program, but decided against it. Originally i figured i could use any advantage i could get to make my first year of medical school easier, but now i think that it might actually hurt me not to take a break and relax. I would say, unless you have a week science background, it's probably not worth it, but then again, it's up to the person, knowing me, it wouldn't surprise me if i changed my mind again...

4. siulrc

siulrc Member

jessica, i think that you second option is much better and the way to go. Take a break, relax and enjoy you last summer of freedom. I think that by doing the summer program you may run the chance of burning out with so much studies. so in the instead of helping you is hurting you. Listen to pirulo. By the way Pirulo it is so nice to see that finnally you are listing to me. Well, Jessica good luck in whatever your final decision is and congratulations on your acceptances.

------------------
    siul

5. Robb1818

Robb1818 Member

Hi Jessica, Pirulo, and Silurc...I also thought about the summer program, however, I decided against it. After going there for the reception I thought it was more for those who didn't have ANY type of advanced science background. Relax if you can! I'll be spending the summer doing research...look forward to seeing everyone in August.

Rob

------------------
    Carpe Diem

6. paq314

paq314 Junior Member

Does this summer program allow other August 2000 MSI's to participate or do you have to strictly be accepted at their medical school?? And are there any other summer programs that are similar to this one??

Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I am adamant on taking at least some courses this summer before I start my first year in August. Most would think I am crazy because I will get burned out easily but I am wanting to do this because I have been out of school for awhile and I am not so confident about my sciences as I was during college.

Thanks
    paq

7. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member

I was also thinking about it, but I decided that I'd rather relax- and hopefully make some money- than study during the summer. We'll all do plenty of studying once school starts, summer program or not, and I (at least) don't want to burn out before the year even starts!

btw, does anyone know when classes begin? At the reception, I think they said something about July 30... Well, we still have 2/3 of the summer, I suppose. [​IMG]

Paige