Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UMDNJ-SOM vs. CCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Jill, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Jill

Jill Junior Member

Hello everyone -
    Congrats to all those who have been accepted - and good luck to all of those who are in the process!

I am stuck at the moment - trying to decide between two schools UMDNJ-SOM and CCOM, and I was hoping prospective students as well as currently enrolled students could give me some feedback about both of them, because the information I have found hasn't helped me make a decision yet, they both seem like good schools.

Basically, I am instate student for UMDNJ, but I liked CCOM more, and I am looking for any reason, other then I like chicago and the campus, that can justify the MUCH added expense of CCOM.

Another question is, does going to a midwestern school hinder obtaining an east coast residency because I'd like to come back here after medical school?

So if anyone out there can shed some light on some details of these schools, I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can offer.

Thanks for reading - hope to hear from you all soon! Good luck to all -

Jill

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. applying

applying Member

I'm no expert, and am trying to decide between UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM. however, a cousin of mine who is a DO has said that PCOM and CCOM are considered the best, although UMDNJ-SOM is a well respected school. hope my two cents helps. good luck!

4. Doc Blondie

Doc Blondie Member

What i have heard in the hospital from DO attendings is that it doesnt matter what school you go to its where you do your clerckships. And if you like chicago you could always go to SOM and do electives in chicago. If you can save money, you best bet is to do that. From what i know SOM is right up there with PCOM. Becuase they are 20 minutes from each other and have a lot of the same expereinces