UMDNJ-SOM vs. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at UMDNJ and NYCOM. I was wondering what people's opinions are about which I should choose. Personally, I liked UMDNJ-SOM better (smaller class, nicer environment), but NYCOM's got a lot that UMDNJ doesn't seem to have: wonderful affiliations, close to family, profs. use the web a lot. Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who chose UMDNJ-SOM over NYCOM and I asked him why, he said:
1) It's cheaper (he's from NJ)
2) It's far from the City (New York, that is)
3) When patients ask me where I went to med school, I can just say "UMDNJ," and be done with it. If I say "NYCOM," I'll have to do all that explaining about what a DO is, etc.

Except for #1, I think those are the DUMBEST reasons to go to UMDNJ. The school's in the boonies! It's in Cow-country, NJ! Those are GOOD reasons.
smile.gif

Just joking. Like I've said in all posts regarding NYCOM, I think it has the best clinical affiliations of all osteopathic med schools. I think UMDNJ's biggest clinical affiliate is Atlantic City Medical Center, which is big, but nothing compared to some of NYCOM's affiliates.

Enough of my NYCOM banner-waving. You've already read too much from me.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.
(Happy Millenium!)

Hmm... I can't really comment too much on NYCOM (I was offered an interview, but turned it down), but I remember how impressed I was with UMDNJ-SOM. Friendly people, near Philly... well, you've heard all that.
smile.gif

The tuition difference probably isn't too big of a deal for you as you're out-of-state, but you might be able to get NJ residency after a year or so. In-state tuition is a _big_ draw for me! Of course, if your family is close enough to NYCOM you'd be able to live there, which would cut down on expenses. If I recall correctly (no guarantees), the area around NYCOM is rather expensive. However, at NYCOM, you'd be seeing a lot of girls in bikinis, if that makes up for anything.
smile.gif

Congrats on having to make the choice!
Paige (who _really_ hopes that SOM does not have a similar bikini policy...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Paige,

I think all osteopathic med schools have a bikini policy for female students during OMM labs. It's the only way to learn!
wink.gif

Tim of New York City.
(who wishes he was in osteopathic med school precisely for the women in bikinis)!
smile.gif

Really. Oh... my. Well, I was planning to start working out anyway... I suppose this will just give me a bit more incentive.
smile.gif

Paige (cringing in anticipation)