UMDNJ-SOM vs. NYCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by RDO, Dec 18, 1999.

1. RDO

RDO Member

I've been accepted at UMDNJ and NYCOM. I was wondering what people's opinions are about which I should choose. Personally, I liked UMDNJ-SOM better (smaller class, nicer environment), but NYCOM's got a lot that UMDNJ doesn't seem to have: wonderful affiliations, close to family, profs. use the web a lot. Thanks for any input.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a friend who chose UMDNJ-SOM over NYCOM and I asked him why, he said:
    1) It's cheaper (he's from NJ)
    2) It's far from the City (New York, that is)
    3) When patients ask me where I went to med school, I can just say "UMDNJ," and be done with it. If I say "NYCOM," I'll have to do all that explaining about what a DO is, etc.

Except for #1, I think those are the DUMBEST reasons to go to UMDNJ. The school's in the boonies! It's in Cow-country, NJ! Those are GOOD reasons. [​IMG]

Just joking. Like I've said in all posts regarding NYCOM, I think it has the best clinical affiliations of all osteopathic med schools. I think UMDNJ's biggest clinical affiliate is Atlantic City Medical Center, which is big, but nothing compared to some of NYCOM's affiliates.

Enough of my NYCOM banner-waving. You've already read too much from me. [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.
    (Happy Millenium!)

4. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member

Hmm... I can't really comment too much on NYCOM (I was offered an interview, but turned it down), but I remember how impressed I was with UMDNJ-SOM. Friendly people, near Philly... well, you've heard all that. [​IMG]

The tuition difference probably isn't too big of a deal for you as you're out-of-state, but you might be able to get NJ residency after a year or so. In-state tuition is a _big_ draw for me! Of course, if your family is close enough to NYCOM you'd be able to live there, which would cut down on expenses. If I recall correctly (no guarantees), the area around NYCOM is rather expensive. However, at NYCOM, you'd be seeing a lot of girls in bikinis, if that makes up for anything. [​IMG]

Congrats on having to make the choice!
    Paige (who _really_ hopes that SOM does not have a similar bikini policy...)

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Paige,

I think all osteopathic med schools have a bikini policy for female students during OMM labs. It's the only way to learn! [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.
    (who wishes he was in osteopathic med school precisely for the women in bikinis)! [​IMG]

6. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member

Really. Oh... my. Well, I was planning to start working out anyway... I suppose this will just give me a bit more incentive. [​IMG]

Paige (cringing in anticipation)