1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

UMDNJ-SOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Smokey223, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Smokey223

Smokey223 Member
    7+ Year Member

HI! On this secondary, it states that we should be returning the application back within ten working days. Do you think that means anything serious? I got my secondary more than 10 days ago. Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mr. MD or DO

Mr. MD or DO Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't worry, they are very flexible. I'm sure they will always work things out for your advantage and convinience. I had an interview about a week ago, and just heard I got accepted. It's a great school and one of the most non-competitve and altruistic atmosphere you can find. People are very nice, including students, dean, faculty members and administrators. By the way, does anyone know the precedures and process for changing your residency status. If you wanna be a NJ resident for instance when you are from NY, i heard something like residing there in NJ for a yeat grants you the qualification to apply for the change of residency status. How does it work? (the tuition discrepancy is hugh, about 10,000$/year). Thanks.

4. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Smokey223: Don't worry about the 10 day time limit- I'm pretty sure that it's not seriously enforced (as I certainly didn't get it back within 10 days... and I was still almost immediately invited for an interview when I got mine in). Do your best on it, and send it in as soon as you can... it's best to be on the early side of rolling admissions.

Mr. MD or DO: Congrats on your acceptance! I may be slightly biased, but SOM is a great place with lots of wonderful, friendly people... it's not _easy_ (says she who is way behind in cardio), but the relaxed atmosphere is worth it. You might want to try calling Admissions about your state residency issues... they'll probably know who could answer your question.

If either of you have any questions (that don't relate to state residency), I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Paige

Cornell University '00
    UMDNJ-SOM '04

5. Mr. MD or DO

Mr. MD or DO Member
    10+ Year Member

How much research opportunities are there in UMDNJ-SOM? I heard to specialize in derm, you need a very good grade on every subject, steller score on comples/usmle and impressive reserach published, and great recommendation. what percentage specializes in family med, internal med there? Do some people get into surgery, ortho, derm, plastic surgery...from that school? And how does the school run, when's the schedule like, I know NYCOM is very harsh, from 8:30am to 5 pm straight classes and labs, except an hour lunch. Is the acedemic level as harsh as other med schools? HOw many people per cadavor? How's the grading, stringent or lenient? How hard is it to goto other residency programs out of state, like NY. I heard most people stay in NJ and practice medicine. I'm chossing this school over NYCOM although I live about 15 minutes away from NYCOM, because i just love this school. How much clinical exposure you get, and are those 4 affiliated hospitals sufficient for adequate training in 3-4th year rotation? Where are the rotation sites? Sorry for too much questions, but I just wanna make sure i'm selecting the right school for me. Thank you very much.

6. Mr. MD or DO

Mr. MD or DO Member
    10+ Year Member

Someone from UMDNJ, please answer the question above. Thank you

7. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Sorry that it took so long for me to get back to you- we just finished our cardio module yesterday, and I was studying non-stop for the past week. I slept 11 hours last night... it was good.

We definitely have research opportunities. The school offers stipends to people who want to do research over the summer, and I think that there are a few people who are continuing their research during the year.

I don't know what percentages go into which specialities, but I can look around and find out. I'm pretty sure that we get people into just about everything, and we're very, very well regarded as far as academics go. I'm pretty sure that some people go out of state for their residencies, but I can't give any numbers off the top of my head. I'll look around for some numbers.

Our schedule isn't (thank G-d) a straight 8:30-5, but it's not all that great, either. First year is mostly 9-5 (occasionally 9-4 or 9-3), and second year is either 8-3 or 8-4 with one day of 8-5. We're trying to get that changed so we have more "free" time to study for the boards... hopefully, things will improve.

First year is on a block schedule, which means that we had a week with no classes and three exams. Second year is on a module schedule, which means that our three big classes (medicine, path, and pharm) focus on the same area (like cardio), and we have one day every four weeks or so with three exams (i.e. yesterday). Ouch.

As I said, we're very well regarded academically, and we were #1 on the boards for a long time- and that's despite the administration's refusal to teach to the boards (which a lot of schools allegedly do). We're not graded on a curve, but if enough people get a question wrong, they'll usually throw it out. Most of the professors are very open to feedback, and are pretty willing to make changes.

I've heard that the clinical years are pretty good, and you can rotate at other hospitals if you want to. In our first two years, we have to spend five hours a month essentially shadowing a local doctor. Depending on your preceptor, you can get a fair amount of clinical experience. (I got to put in and take out stitches, but my preceptor is fantastic. There are some who... aren't.) I know that there are rotation sites in Stratford, Cherry Hill, Camden, Jersey City, and probably a few other places... again, I'll look around for the information.

Enjoy!
    Paige

Cornell University '00
    UMDNJ-SOM '04

8. Mr. MD or DO

Mr. MD or DO Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the info, Naraku. It sounds pretty scary though, that much studying and long hours at school! I just finally contacted my friends at med schools and they all got sick physically and mentally from crazy studying and total deprivation of sleep, that they can't even allow themselves to barely contact me. Anyway, i noticed recently that no one ever got into derm residency from NYCOM, for at least pasr 2 years. We are talking about 500-600 DO's graduating. I was dicouraged by such a statistics and i was wondering if it's the same very unlikely possibility in UMDNJ. And are you guys taking both boards (comlex and usmle) if so, is there enough time for preparation? I feel like i'd most likely have to apply even allopathic residencies as well for derm, since it's very limited and competitve. Thanks for taking your time for my enlightment in this school. I know time is very precious in med school. Good luck in classes and hope you do well on all your tests to be a great doc.

9. Ciardeme

Ciardeme Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MR MD or DO, Hi, I work at UMDNJ and am currently applying there also. I do clinical oncology research. There are so many opportunities to do research here! Just pick a field and a good mentor. good luck. Oh, and if you are not already a NJ resident, don't let all the stereotypes about NJ get you down. Most people think all of NJ is like Newark or Hoboken. It's not. I grew up "down the shore". It's nothing like Newark or Hoboken for that matter. Again, best of luck to you. :D