UMDNJ-SOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Jessica, Jan 16, 2000.

1. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member

UMDNJ-SOM is my 1st choice. I had the application in at around September 23 and I still have not heard anything. Does anyone have any feedback about this? I have been interviewed at NYCOM, but I still have heard nothing from PCOM or Nova Southeastern. Good luck, guys.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY

Attending Physician
    I applied to all three as well..I just got back from Nova..NY res...still waiting to hear from NJ and NYCOM...and PCOM. Weird eh?

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 01-17-2000).]

4. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Hey, what about us in the West Coast (WesterU/COMP)? [​IMG] Don't you guys want to sun bathe on the beaches of Malibu or hang out in Hollywood w/ the celebs [​IMG]

Best of luck on getting acceptances. I will be wishing positive thoughts to you guys!!!

Rob
    WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

5. Paul's Boutique

Yeah, Rob.... like we'll have -any- time to bathe on -any- beach at all! (How about the lovely beaches of Pomona!) [​IMG]

But you do raise a good point: that when you -do- have some free time, there are many places to see and do things: beaches or mountains...

------------------
    -PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

6. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member

I had my application in at NJ by early September, interviewed in mid-October, and was accepted the next week. NYCOM and Nova offered me interviews, but I decided not to take them because I was _very_ impressed with UMDNJ-SOM. I still haven't heard from PCOM, though.

Good luck, and don't give up hope yet! Try calling the schools to see if there's any way you can make your application stand out.

Paige

7. jdg

jdg

I applied to UMDNJ-SOM as well. My application was complete in early October and I still haven't heard a word. This is also my state school. On the other hand, I have been accepted to Nova but declined the offer, cancelled an interview with LECOM, and accepted to PCOM. I was very impressed with PCOM and have already sent in my deposit to hold my seat. At this point in time, it would be difficult to sway me from PCOM. The only issue that I would really need to address with UMDNJ-SOM is the tuition difference compared with PCOM. Really, its not something I would have to worry about until I hear from UMDNJ-SOM. Can't quite figure them out! Good luck to everyone else. I'm relieved that there are others who also haven't heard from UMDNJ-SOM.

------------------
    JDG
    PCOM 2004

8. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member

Josh, interesting to hear that. I really did like NYCOM. I really like the fact that the professors are mandated to give out notes before classes start so you're not struggling to write down info. You can start absorb the material during the class which is nice. I liked Long Island, but I'm from NJ and I've done an internship at UMD. I'm kind of attached to that school. How did your Nova interview go? When did they say they'd reply?

9. Medic1895

Medic1895 Junior Member

If you are in at PCOM, go there over UMDNJ. I am a S. Jersey resident who got into both. Good schools, but the clinical experience at PCOM is much better than at UMDNJ. UMD uses the Kennedy system, which are small suburban hospitals where everything good gets shipped to tertiary hospitals. Rotations are done at Our Lady of Lourdes as well, but the PCOM opportunities are better.

I am leaning towards Jefferson, but that is not firm and I am still considering PCOM.

10. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member

I have heard that, Medic1895. I have done an internship at UMD. But UMD does have smaller classes and more attention. Well, maybe I should wait to hear before I make any decisions. Thanks.

Jessica

11. jdg

jdg

Medic-
    Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much set on attending PCOM, but I'll still go to a UMDNJ-SOM interview if offered. Can't hurt, right? Again, I definitely was very impressed with PCOM's clinical opportunities and I am excited to begin classes in August.

------------------
    JDG
    PCOM 2004

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 01-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 01-18-2000).]