UMDNJ-SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just received word that I've been granted an interview at UMDNJ. They sent me a date and a reply card. I don't really want to change the date. But if I needed to, would this be detrimental? I mean, it sounds like this date has been chosen for me, and there is no choice to that. If anyone has been to UMDNJ for an interview, do you have any advice? How long did it take to get an answer? Thanks, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Jessica!

Congrats on getting the interview! I didn't have to change my interview date, but I don't think it would have been much of a problem.

I thought that the interview was pretty easy, as these things go. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. I (and the person who interviewed before me!) walked out of the interview room mumbling "They're so nice... they're so nice!" It lasted a bit over 20 minutes, and mostly consisted of what I did besides schoolwork, and what I thought/knew about osteopathic medicine and OMT.

They make their decisions on the third Tuesday of the month, and the Dead calls if you've been accepted. (Word of advice: stay home that day, just in case- I missed the phone call and had to wait until the next Monday to get in touch with the Dean!)

Just relax- it's not that bad, and the school is small, but the students seemed happy and friendly. I was _very_ impressed.
smile.gif

Good luck!
Paige

Hi Jessica,

Another congrats on the interview...you're almost there! The admissions people are very nice and I don't think they'd have a problem changing your interview.

My interview there lasted about 25 minutes and was very very laid back and relaxed. Just know about yourself and why you chose osteopathy and UMDNJ. No real surprises. You might want to check out the med school interview browser site if you haven't already.

I found out about a week after I interviewed that I was accepted. Like Paige I wasn't home when the Dean called and had to wait a few days before I found out for sure ("they wouldn't call me to tell me I didn't get in..would they??") Very nerve racking few days.

About the school, it's small and everyone seems to know everyone...which I think is great. They have a great facilities, reputation, and a great pass rate on their boards.

Good luck and I hope to see you in August!!

Rob

------------------
Carpe Diem

[This message has been edited by Robb1818 (edited 02-01-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice. Do most of these schools give you a call if you are accepted? Or is this really only for UMDNJ. I interviewed at NYCOM on January 5, and I'm still waiting to hear; so I'm wondering if I should be waiting for a call, or just a letter. They told me that I would hear at the beginning of February.

I can't speak for NYCOM but UMDNJ isn't the only school who calls. I was accepted at MSUCOM and was called the day the committee met. I also know LECOM calls the students they accept. Hope you get that call.

Rob

------------------
Carpe Diem

NYCOM calls.

NYCOM didn't call me, I got a certified letter.

As far as I know, NYCOM does not call. They send a certified letter with return receipt.

The one time NYCOM will call, however, is when you're pulled off the waitlist.

Tim of New York City.

Is UMDNJ an allopathic or osteopathic school?

We've been talking about the osteopathic campus of UMDNJ in Stratford, NJ. However, there are 2 other UMDNJ campuses that are allopathic - in Piscataway and Newark.

i just got back from an interview at umdnj and i thought it was surprising how a school with such a good reputation and so many resources, a university hospital on campus, research facilities, etc... doesn't have any money for the student facilities. by this i mean, the classrooms were pretty grim, the histo lab was horrible, the gross lab was even worse... i was also concerned about how the students there were really preoccupied with the d.o. status, and they all seem to stay there, and i mean at the university hospital for residencies... did i miss something?? someone please correct me if i'm wrong...

As a matter fact, I heard that the facilities over at UMDNJ-SOM were pretty nice because they were new. The greatest asset that this school offers is their class size and their tuition to in state students. The greatest asset that my school (NYCOM) offers is the better clinical affiliations. However, I really believe that you cannot go wrong with either schools.

Jessica- Are you a RU grad or student?

All my friends and I have received certified letters.

To answer eusha, I'm a college senior who is applying to med schools. I've been accepted to NYCOM and have deposited, but I have an interview at UMDNJ-SOM in 2 weeks.