SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UMDNJ-SOM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Rookie, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Rookie

Rookie lankadoc 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Anybody here a current student of UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine or will be a first year student there? I will be a first year and wanted to get to know my classmates or if you are a student there already, I wanted to pick your brain on somethings.

------------------
    What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey

I'll be a first-year there in less than three weeks. I'm excited, of course, but I really could have contained myself until the end of August. [​IMG]

Paige

4. Rookie

Jul 6, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    I agree Paige, July 30th is WAY tooo sooon.
    Did you move down there yet? I probably move down there on July 23rd. What is your take on the city. It looks a little lame. I think Philly will be the center of our social life.
    Lasanta

5. i live about 10 minutes away from UMDNJ-SOM in voorhees and have to agree with you guys in saying that after living here for 18 years it is not such a happening place. However, the facilities are awesome- although i have not gotten in to med. school yet, UMDNJ was my first choice b/c of the facilities and finances.
    Philly is the main place where people "live it up"- especially in old city and manyunk. also, you're not far from NYC.
    the town around UMDNJ is very pricy but transportation to the city is right by the school..so that's my take after living her for 18 years

6. Rookie

Jul 6, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey Melon1,
    Are you applying for this year or are you waitlisted? I hope I didn't offend you by calling your area lame but I didn't see too much going on around there. Anyway, thanks for the info.
    rookie

7. pirulo

pirulo Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2000
    miami, fl, usa
    i will be an ms-1 this fall also, i moved here about 10 days ago. I actually love the area, I live in voorhees also, it's really quiet, but there's everything you need around here; there's a pretty big mall, movie theaters up the wazzoo, and shoping center malls everywhere, with just about every fast food and department store available within a three block perimeter. Beyond that, philly is about 10-15 minutes, new york is about an hour and fifteen, atlantic city is about forty five...even DC is only about 2 1/2 hours from here, it's really in the middle of everything... I think we're getting the best of both worlds here, a quiet easy to get around town to study, and the rosources of a big city at an arm's length.

8. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey

My housing situation is... interesting. My family is moving to the Cherry Hill area, but we won't be able to move in until late August. This presents something of a problem. I just arranged yesterday to rent a room for a month from two older women who live seven blocks from the school... but they're a little old-fashioned. Well, I can deal with it for a month, I suppose... I'll probably move in a day or so before the white coat ceremony.

I haven't spent all that much time in Philadephia, but I like it so far. I agree- the area around the school is nice, but not very exciting...

Paige

9. mwcgrad

mwcgrad Junior Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Toms River, NJ
    Hi everyone...I'm glad to see that so many responded to that post. I'm going to be a first year also in less than 3 weeks. I'm actually moving into my apartment this weekend.
    I'd agree that the area is not that exciting, but it is nice. I'll be living in Voorhees, and I think that it's a nice place...safe enough from what I can gather.
    Well, I guess I'll see you all on the 30th...I agree, a few more weeks of summer would have been nice, but maybe we'll be better doctors....maybe

10. Rookie,

first- you didn't offend me....voorhees and cherry hill aren't places for partying really. there are bars on route 70- my friends and I like Champs off of rte. 73..but its a little pricy for med. school students. you guys will find places to hang out a/f exams though..as i said b/f philly, and NYC aren't far.

as for my current situation...i'm on the "accept/hold" waiting list at NYCOM and
    am getting very impatient about it. i just graduated from undergrad. and am working but its not what i want to do. Last time i applied really late and so this time i applied with in the first week the application was available....however, they're pretty slow w/ evrything at accomas.

some people i know went to umdnj and loved it- thats all i ever hear...so hopefully you guys will have a great experience!!!

Good Luck!
    melon
    ..if u need help to find a place ask and maybe i can help if u are from out of town

11. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 16, 1998
    New Jersey
    I am an MS11 this year - I can try and answer some questions if you'd like...

12. hunter

hunter Junior Member

Jul 15, 2000
    lindenwold, nj 08021
    hey guys....i am a first year student who will start this coming august....since i am doing the pre-matric. program there aleady, i have had a good idea of what things are like (well, to some degree atleast)...there are 16 other students aside from me in this program...let me be the first to let you know that these guys are GREAT!!!...i hope that the rest of the class is similar to them!!...i also had a chance to meet (and get lectured by) some of the profs... wait 'til you see the guy who is the head of histo. dept (dr. ladner)....i swear this guys looks like one of the students and you almost expect him to say something like "dude, the waves are kickin' today, man"...he is REALLY awesome, but at the same time he is very serious and to-the-point-kinda-guy....no "BSing" with this guy....the staff/students/adminisration is so great....i am REALLY glad that i made the choice of coming here!!!...well, i don't mean to bore ya'll with details (unless u wanna hear them)....see everyone during orientation!!!...HAVE FUN THE REST OF THE SUMMER (well, what's left of it anyway)!!!

13. hunter

hunter Junior Member

Jul 15, 2000
    lindenwold, nj 08021
    Oops...i forgot....here are some stats about the first years:
    # of students: 83 (WOW!!!)
    average age: 24
    i forgot some of the other stats

14. mwcgrad

mwcgrad Junior Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Toms River, NJ
    So glad to hear that melon1 likes the school so much! I just moved into my apartment in the Village yesterday so things are starting to come together. I'd be happy to meet with anyone before the White Coat Ceremony. My email is [email protected] Enjoy the rest of summer.

15. mwcgrad

mwcgrad Junior Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Toms River, NJ
    Oops...I meant to say hunter. Sorry melon1.

16. hunter

hunter Junior Member

Jul 15, 2000
    lindenwold, nj 08021
    ok guys...this might sound really corny, but hear me out first....the profs were saying that in the classes, there are NO grades distributed on the basis of the infamous bell curve....so...we (the pre-matric. students) made this informal "pact" (for a lack of a better term) to help each other out as much as possible....we wanna make this class the most intelligent class they have ever seen (I KNOW THIS SOUNDS SO REDICULOUSLY CORNY!!!!!)....but seriously, if everyone in the class gets honors if they get above a 90%, then why not have everyone do just that...the way i am looking at it is that we are not just medical school students..we are also future colleagues to be....who knows, someday you will be working with another person in our class....tell me if this sounds greedy, but if we ALL do awesome, then we can all get the best residency spots in the nation...and if all get the top ones in whichever field, then how great will it be to tell other colleagues that you graduated from UMDNJ-SOM....not only this, but if we can all help each other out, we can all become better healers too, and not just "simply" physicians....i know i am probably living in some kind of dream world or something, and i know that most of the students will say "definitely hunter...sounds like a great idea...yea..i'll help out my fellow classmates" and then try to be #1 in their class...i am willing to be as helpful as i can in this matter, and i know that the other pre-matric. students are also...i was just wondering what all of you other guys think about this....see ya'll later

17. Robb1818

Robb1818 Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Hey Hunter, sounds good to me. See you tommorrow.

18. Rookie

Jul 6, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey everyone,
    Just writing to see how everyone is doing? I am moving down to Stratford with my roommate this Saturday. I am moving to Woodmere, whic is literally next door to the school. Is anyone else a resident there? Well, two more weeks, I am excited. Man, moving is hell. I haven't even packed.
    Hopefully, we can plan something sometime the week of 25th to see if we can all hang out.
    Take it easy.
    Rookie

19. jon8markley

jon8markley Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Riverdale
    Hello
    I will be a first year at UMDSOM also this year. I was wondering if you found an apartment yet? My friend from undergrad is also going to UMD and we found an apartment about 1 mile from campus. The rent is 650 for a 2 bedroom with central air, dishwasher, washer, dryer, garbagedisposal, deck!!! The apartment is nice, if you want the phone number of the apartment complex write me back.
    When are you moving down there for the year? I am going on the 28th.

Hopefully I will see you all around

Jon