UMDNJ students! Where are u living?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymuz

dance!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my gf and I are looking to find a 1 room near umdnj where ill be attending.. i was told some decent places are hoboken, kearny, belleville, bloomfield... are there any recommendations you guys can make? where is everyone staying, and how do you like it? also how far are you from school?

what about living in newark, yeh, its ghetto, or should i just not even bother?

thanks ahead!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm considering living off campus next year. I was wondering who else was looking into this option and who was looking for a roommate? I'm most interested in Jersey City, but also Hoboken (a little pricier).

I should mention that I'll be a first year student at UMDNJ this fall

Members don't see this ad :)
I opted for the 180 west street housing but there are some other places like the University Centre apartments near there too. I actually wanted to live there but it's a little too far to walk (and I am depressively car-less).

I'll be at UMDNJ in the fall too. I wanted a studio in 180 market, but couldn't get anything. I think I'll probably be living in Bloomfield or Montclair. I've been told it's pretty decent around there. Close too.

ive been checking apartments.com and all those other websites and there are a few places nearby, for a 1 br is about $1000 a month, which isnt too bad.. only thing that sucks is that we have a lil dog and everytime i check the dog amenity nothing comes up... is it that hard to find a damn place for the lil fella?!

i remember when i was at interview, they recommended no more than 15 min away, so im gonna try to keep within that distance...

also, has anyone started the loan / fafsa / paperwork yet? how long does it usually take.. im waiting for my packet to come in the maill... hopefully today..

I think it took about a month for my first financial aid offer to come. Start thinking of where you're going to get some extra money for dental school though, the max offer comes up short. At least it did for me.

I think it took about a month for my first financial aid offer to come. Start thinking of where you're going to get some extra money for dental school though, the max offer comes up short. At least it did for me.

Does anyone know why the offers come up so short?
I asked for 70k but got only 46k from Stafford, now I guess I'll have to get the rest via private loans. :thumbdown:

Does anyone know why the offers come up so short?
I asked for 70k but got only 46k from Stafford, now I guess I'll have to get the rest via private loans. :thumbdown:

Yeah that's how much I got total from federal aid. I'm getting the rest through citibank medical loans. They basically threw money at me and the rates are pretty decent.

bump......... so hard to find an apartment that will allow my lil dog!

Yeah that's how much I got total from federal aid. I'm getting the rest through citibank medical loans. They basically threw money at me and the rates are pretty decent.

Phantasm,
How can you go over $55k? I maxed out at 42K but am interested in taking out an additional 15k. I don't mind going through private channels but doesn't UMDNJ have to approve it? And if so, won't they only approve up to the student budget max posted?

Phantasm,
How can you go over $55k? I maxed out at 42K but am interested in taking out an additional 15k. I don't mind going through private channels but doesn't UMDNJ have to approve it? And if so, won't they only approve up to the student budget max posted?

No I got about 44 from federal and the rest I've been approved by citibank which Kimora said is fine. Citibank loans a are a little different where they have no problem giving you a little extra money as well and count it as a private personal loan added to the school loan.

Thats good to know. Thanks phantom.

If you're looking to be in walking distance to the school many students live in Society Hill across the street from the school they are townhouses and if you get a good landlord they can be very nice. I lived there my second year and loved it. They're cheaper than the school apartments too and great for convenience (I walked home for lunch everyday). I highly recommend bloomfield the majority of students live there if they don't live in walking distance to school. It's safe and cheap. Hoboken is amazing but pricey. Most apartments studio or 1 BR start at $1200. You can ALWAYS ask for more money but you have to get it approved and the cost of living is something they will always give more money for.

Good luck (I do recommend living close though)

I personally am a big fan of the dorms. Over priced but super convenient. You will understand/appreciate it more when you're in the lab night before a practical til God knows when, and you're only 3 minutes away from your bed