smldent

5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i am sorry for starting a new thread but was not getting a reply so started a new one , plz do excuse:oops:

umdnj versus north texas- mph epidemiology program

can anyone guide me about
1)which one of the 2 universities to choose from?umdnj or north texas:confused:.
2) umdnj has a dental school too so will it help me in entering into DDS later( for i am an FTD)?
3) how good is uni of north texas MPH epidemiology program wrt north texas mph epi program?
4) which one of the two are good for job prospects if later i think just to continue with MPH part only?
5)is umdnj campus safe for students, someone told me they not so safe

PLZ DO GUIDE ME about which one is good regarding cost of study ,program , safety on aspects for an international student.............

Feb 9, 2010
Chicago
Status
Other Health Professions Student
These are great questions to ask admissions staff at both schools. Visit if you can and talk to current students. I'm sure someone in the admissions office would happily find you students to email. You will get far more personal attention and quality answers that way.

Good luck.

OP
S

smldent

5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
These are great questions to ask admissions staff at both schools. Visit if you can and talk to current students. I'm sure someone in the admissions office would happily find you students to email. You will get far more personal attention and quality answers that way.

Good luck.

thanx for the reply :), i think i should do this. Actually i was thinking sm1 out here if enrolled in any of the two programs could help me , but ya i'll try your option this is fine.

Oct 13, 2011
India
Status
Dentist
What did you decide then ?
Actually I am in same dilemma as well whether to select UMDNJ- dental public health or MPH at University of Texas, Houston ?

Aug 19, 2010
Status
My question would be is your interest in working in a rural or urban area? If you want to work in a urban setting by all means attend the New Jersey option as North Texas is in a very rural setting. Also as an international student I would imagine you might find the community outside the school far more welcoming in New Jersey than in Denton, TX. In particular as close as you will be to New York City I imagine regardless of what country you are coming from you would have the opportunity to interact with other people from back home which especially if you intend to return home to practice would keep you connected to the community there.

RAMPA

Pimpiro
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2005
Dallas
Status
Non-Student
My question would be is your interest in working in a rural or urban area? If you want to work in a urban setting by all means attend the New Jersey option as North Texas is in a very rural setting. Also as an international student I would imagine you might find the community outside the school far more welcoming in New Jersey than in Denton, TX. In particular as close as you will be to New York City I imagine regardless of what country you are coming from you would have the opportunity to interact with other people from back home which especially if you intend to return home to practice would keep you connected to the community there.
UNT-HSC is actually in Fort Worth, hardly rural

Jan 7, 2011
Status
I go to Rutgers now and have lived in New Brunswick the entire time. In terms of safety, I guess it depends upon what you define as "safe". I have known a few people who have been robbed, and there are incidents of shootings and such. Usually it's college kids who are walking alone who get robbed. The few shootings have occurred in the back streets that are relatively far from campus and don't involve students (usually gang-related).

However, it's more about being aware of your surroundings and not making stupid decisions (walking alone at night in the bad areas). I have never felt threatened or unsafe, and I honestly don't think safety is enough of a problem to rule UMDNJ out. I know I made it sound a lot worse than it is, but I honestly wouldn't go here if it was that dangerous.

Aug 19, 2010
Status
UNT-HSC is actually in Fort Worth, hardly rural
That's actually good to know. When I looked at UNT all their stuff had a Denton address but I was looking at a long distance program they were thinking about doing in Atlanta not sure if they ever went through with it or not.