UMDNJ vs. Temple vs. NYMC Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overlap12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on New Jersey Medical School (the one in Newark)? I just got an interview today but I'm not really sure if I want to accept it because I want to save on interview costs. I have already gotten into Temple, and have already interviewed at NYMC and will be interviewing at University of Chicago. Does anyone think UMDNJ is better/as good as/worse than Temple or NYMC? What are their match results in comparison? I also read on the website that you can apply for in-state residency to get in-state tuition. Does anyone know anything about this?

Here is my profile in case you are wondering:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=04609

Members don't see this ad.

you can easily get in-state tuition even if you aren't from the state (i don't know the exact procedure but have heard of many students that have done so).

Maybe to help you in your decision, figure out what the grading system is for each school. NJMS has Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail. It's much easier and you'll enjoy medical school more if you go to a P/F system. Though if you want to get into a competitive residency, then having honors,HP/P/F has more advantages

4 Ever said:
you can easily get in-state tuition even if you aren't from the state (i don't know the exact procedure but have heard of many students that have done so).

Maybe to help you in your decision, figure out what the grading system is for each school. NJMS has Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail. It's much easier and you'll enjoy medical school more if you go to a P/F system. Though if you want to get into a competitive residency, then having honors,HP/P/F has more advantages

Thank you for your comments. Getting the cheaper in-state tuition (I think it's about 15k cheaper!) might make it worth the trip out to Jersey. I am pretty sure that Temple is also on some kind of pass grading system, although to me it seems to still resemble your classic A/B/C/D/F system. The resident admissions people have to have something look at in terms of grades. I was thinking of doing an OB/GYN residency, I wonder if that's competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
scneuro said:
To get residency you have to have a lease and a valid NJ license. That is not too difficult and could be worth it financially.

So basically I just need to sign a lease for an apartment and apply for a new driver's license at the NJ DMV? Where did you find out that this is true?

Overlap12 said:
So basically I just need to sign a lease for an apartment and apply for a new driver's license at the NJ DMV? Where did you find out that this is true?

It's in the link you included-- you also have to register and insure your car in NJ along with a copy of your one year lease.

2. Students residing in New Jersey for a period less than twelve (12) months before first enrolling at UMDNJ are presumed not to be domiciled in New Jersey unless evidence of establishment of domicile in New Jersey is provided. This evidence must include both a. and b. below:

a. copies of a self-supporting student’s New Jersey resident income tax return (bearing a New Jersey address) for the most recent tax year or a parent’s or legal guardian’s New Jersey resident income tax return (bearing a New Jersey address) for the most recent tax year; and

b. evidence of ownership of or a current long-term (at least one year) lease on a permanent residence in New Jersey by the student or his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

3. If the evidence described in Section VI. B. 2. a. above (i.e., New Jersey resident income tax returns) cannot be produced, then the following may be substituted (in addition to the evidence described in Section VI. B. 2. b. above, i.e., ownership or lease of a permanent residence):

a. (1) current driver’s license from New Jersey. Driver’s licenses from other states must be replaced by one from New Jersey; and

(2) New Jersey vehicle registration if the student owns or leases an automobile.

Thank you for the much needed help. Do you know anyone that has come from out-of-state and applied in-state? It seems to me that even though I had a lease for a few years, to me it would look like I was just trying to get in-state tuition because there is less than a year between the time I signed the lease and applied for school.

I know personally one person from new york who moved to NJ in the summer prior to MS1 and was able to get the in-state tuition. Ironically enough, they aren't too big on forcing out of staters to pay the extra money. Why? I have no idea but its great for the students. I too was surprised to hear about the in-state requirements that anyone could attain no matter where you're from

I don't know much about the NJ school, but I really liked NYMC when I visited it... i don't know why it isn't thought of more highly... great hospitals, awesome facilities (anatomy lab, holy ****), rotations in NYC (didn't see these hospitals though), research opportunities... maybe thats it; I'm not sure :confused:

I ended up withdrawing from my interview for NJMS- the deciding factor for me was not a lot of students are from California (at least not as many as at NYMC and Temple) and so I think that may have some bearing on the types of residencies these students get. Thanks for your help guys!

Overlap12 said:
I ended up withdrawing from my interview for NJMS- the deciding factor for me was not a lot of students are from California (at least not as many as at NYMC and Temple) and so I think that may have some bearing on the types of residencies these students get. Thanks for your help guys!

hey, maybe i'll see you at temple next year (i'm also from cali). one of my good friends is from whittier...