UMES or LECOM (ERIE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacist Zoom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys need ur help to determine which school to choose...LECOM (Erie) or UMES.....both have accelarated programs and tution costs are almost same. ANY P1 or P2 LECOM Students want to share their experiences........Thank You All:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

UMES all the way!! Actually LECOM costs $28,100 versus UMES' $25, 108. Definitely compare the both I will be helping you.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're punjabi? me too :) are u a chick or a dude?

if you decide umes and you;re a chick, let me know if you are looking for a roommate

Last edited:
Usually I'd choose the more established school. But do you mind LECOMs strict atmosphere?

UMES

1. Modular block system, very conducive for an acceleratate program
2. IPPE, introduced early on in the program (2nd week of classes)
3. Location: Perfect & quiet for studying (Driving distance from
DC, Baltimore,Philly, etc.)
4. MD climate 10x better (I live in Erie now and winters are harsh)
5. MD has more opportunities for rotation sites (DC, MD VA sites)

LECOM Erie

1. More established school
2. Good NAPLEX passing rate
3. Location (not much to do here, good for studying as well)
4. 900 experential hours aren't given by the school, have to do on your own
before your boards
5. Strict dress code/atmosphere
6. You can choose your sites outside of PA if approved by the school...

Hey guys need ur help to determine which school to choose...LECOM (Erie) or UMES.....both have accelarated programs and tution costs are almost same. ANY P1 or P2 LECOM Students want to share their experiences........Thank You All:):):)

Add up these fees to LECOM Erie's tuition by the way. UMES Tuition and fees is 25,108.. Lecom is 28,100 + all the below
Curriculum Fee$300Technical Fee$300Graduation Fee$150Additional FeesLate Tuition Payment Fee$50 per weekBreakage FeeCost of ReplacementStudent ID Replacement Fee$25Transcript Fee$5ERAS Processing Fee$65Other Charges - Mandatory
Student Government$50Student Disability Insurance$504 (Variable/Age Dependent)Student Health Insurance$2,364

the strict atmosphere? you currently go to LECOM? Can you explain the negatives about the atmosphere? Thanks in advance!! God bless!!

Oh, no I don't go to LECOM but I interviewed at their Florida campus. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I will say that some of the tour guides at the interview voiced some displeasure with the way things were/are run.

-I'm not against a dress code, but for me personally I'd rather not have to worry about that every day.
-No alcohol permitted at any student-run events (even off campus)
-No food/water allowed anywhere but in the cafeteria, and there are security cameras everywhere (some students got in trouble for sneaking a snack in between classes)
-Assigned seating

I think it's good that the school tries to instill a professional attitude in the students, but at least for me, I'd rather be at a more "laid-back" school.

UMES

1. Modular block system, very conducive for an acceleratate program
2. IPPE, introduced early on in the program (2nd week of classes)
3. Location: Perfect & quiet for studying (Driving distance from
DC, Baltimore,Philly, etc.)
4. MD climate 10x better (I live in Erie now and winters are harsh)
5. MD has more opportunities for rotation sites (DC, MD VA sites)

LECOM Erie

1. More established school
2. Good NAPLEX passing rate
3. Location (not much to do here, good for studying as well)
4. 900 experential hours aren't given by the school, have to do on your own
before your boards
5. Strict dress code/atmosphere
6. You can choose your sites outside of PA if approved by the school...

Tnx........If given a choice between two....what would be ur choice???

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from MD so I'm definitely attending UMES...the school is more suitable for me :p

I'm curious about something regarding UMES....

They are mimicking a system closely related to USN, which is also a three year program.
Now, in order to pass a test in USN, you need 90%.

In UMES, I believe it was 85%?

Anyways, to the point....

Let's say you wanted to go into residency....and you are from a Pass/Fail school, such as USN or UMES.

In USN, if you have passed everything, they will change the "P" on the transcript to all "A's" since in order to pass in USN, like I said from before, you need a 90%.

Assuming that UMES is also a Pass/Fail school, and you need 85% to pass a test, would they change the "P" to a "B" in this case since you only need 85%?

They are mimicking a system closely related to USN, which is also a three year program.

Let's say you wanted to go into residency....and you are from a Pass/Fail school, such as USN or UMES.

In USN, if you have passed everything, they will change the "P" on the transcript to all "A's" since in order to pass in USN, like I said from before, you need a 90%.

Assuming that UMES is also a Pass/Fail school, and you need 85% to pass a test, would they change the "P" to a "B" in this case since you only need 85%?

Good Question, I will have to you on that one...gonna get some info from UMES...can somone form USN answer this question though?

Assuming that UMES is also a Pass/Fail school, and you need 85% to pass a test, would they change the "P" to a "B" in this case since you only need 85%?[/QUO

We have an honors, pass, fail system!!
Honors: most likely equivalent to an A
Pass: most likely a B: 85%
Fail:anything under an 85 %
And just curious did you get accepted into UMES?

No, I didn't apply to this school....but you aren't answering my question...

Have you asked how residencies worked over there?

No, I didn't apply to this school....but you aren't answering my question...

Have you asked how residencies worked over there?[/QUO
Yes I did and it will be more explained in our package as well. It's Maryland and I have lived here for most of my life. So, it does not cause a problem for residencies.

Just another Stupid Question.......Do u guys think that you need 85% to pass instead of 70%.....will it lead to high retention rates......Just wondering.......because everyone here wouldn't be doing Residencies?????

Just another Stupid Question.......Do u guys think that you need 85% to pass instead of 70%.....will it lead to high retention rates......Just wondering.......because everyone here wouldn't be doing Residencies?????

This is a great question, if I were you I would ask this exact question on the USN thread & see what one of the current pharm students say. They require a 90% to pass, & I'm pretty sure not everyone wants to go into residency. :rolleyes:

So where is USN, and what is the schools actual name? thanks

From what I recall, UMES will have an internal ranking system and they will also internally record grades (not just P/F) so those of us applying to residencies do not need to worry! :)

i ♥ pharmacy;9531721 said:
From what I recall, UMES will have an internal ranking system and they will also internally record grades (not just P/F) so those of us applying to residencies do not need to worry! :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Very GOOD to know....

This is a great question, if I were you I would ask this exact question on the USN thread & see what one of the current pharm students say. They require a 90% to pass, & I'm pretty sure not everyone wants to go into residency. :rolleyes:

This is wat I found about block system of USN on their thread.....Discouraging:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

USN is demanding, USN requires the students to stay focused and to have the best resources possible. After all, USN is a year around school with very limited breaks throughout the year. Therefore, it’s very easy to burn out here. Therefore, students require the best academic resources necessary to move on. You would assume that USN has the best professors, after all they are charging each student $40,000 a year, and there are about 400 students enrolled (whether as a p1/p2/p3), but they do not. Instead they hire some of the worst faculty on this planet, and the faculty that are good end up leaving or getting fired. Most of them are new graduates, who teach because they don’t have any other choice, as a practicing pharmacist couldn’t hold down a job, or who like to hear the word “doctor” in front of their name, or they just want another title to put in their emails. We have faculty that intentionally leave out information on the slides, only to show up on the exam. Now I usually wouldn’t have a problem with this in a traditional school, but USN isn’t tradition by any means. We have no books, we can’t just look up information, and you have to pass with a 90% (with exceptions) on all your exams. If you don’t pass with a 90% on three exams, you are on probation, miss the 90% mark on 5 exams, USN will tell you to pack your bags and thank you for your $40,000 dollar donation. Anyhow, back on topic, some of the faculty will intentionally leave out things, or intentionally not stress important topics so we’d miss them on the exam. Then they will tell you after the exam, what you actually needed to know. There are no review sessions; there is nothing to prepare you for your exam but some old tests written by professors who are most likely not working at USN anymore.
Another problem at USN is the level of difficulty separating the p1 and p2 year and the block system. The p1 is easy mainly because its review of undergraduate material, but its material that is suppose to prepare you for your p2 year, because during your p2 year there are no reviews of systems. Now, because it’s a block system, you can be learning about cardiology during your p2 year, but you are expected to draw back to information you learned a year ago in some obscure chart during your p1 year. Well, at least you would expect your current professor to tell you to go back and review the material, but he/she won’t tell you to do so mainly because your current professor didn’t teach your first block, and doesn’t know what was taught to you. However, what you learned a year ago during your p1 year is fair game on your exam as a p2, even though you had no idea it was going to be on the test (remember USN is paperless, no books, nothing). Since we are talking about exams, let’s continue with exams.
USN utilizes a pass/no pass scoring on all exams. In order to pass, you have to pass with a 90% (6 points) individual, but you can gain 3 bonus points with team points (so total is 9 points, you can usually miss). If you fail the first time (no pass), you can retake a harder version of the test in 2 days, but can only miss a total of 6 points (no team points are allowed). If you fail this, you end up in summer school. IF you have 3 summer remediation, you are on probation, if you miss 5, you are kicked out. This is really stressful. You have over 20 to 25 major assessments each year and you have to score a 90% on all of them. You are allowed to challenge questions after an exam to get the questions thrown out, but the professors don’t have to listen to you, let alone throw any questions out and this depends on their mood lately. If you challenge them, the professors are more likely to degrade you in front of the class, calling you stupid, idiotic, or whatever adjective they feel is necessary to deflect the question. So what do you do, if you can’t challenge a question? Is there an appeals process?
Hopefully my experience will help the applicants make a more informed decision about USN, and hopefully, the p1/p2's who are reading this will know what to expect in the days/years ahead of them. Good luck

This is wat I found about block system of USN on their thread.....Discouraging:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

USN is demanding, USN requires the students to stay focused and to have the best resources possible. After all, USN is a year around school with very limited breaks throughout the year. Therefore, it’s very easy to burn out here. Therefore, students require the best academic resources necessary to move on. You would assume that USN has the best professors, after all they are charging each student $40,000 a year, and there are about 400 students enrolled (whether as a p1/p2/p3), but they do not. Instead they hire some of the worst faculty on this planet, and the faculty that are good end up leaving or getting fired. Most of them are new graduates, who teach because they don’t have any other choice, as a practicing pharmacist couldn’t hold down a job, or who like to hear the word “doctor” in front of their name, or they just want another title to put in their emails. We have faculty that intentionally leave out information on the slides, only to show up on the exam. Now I usually wouldn’t have a problem with this in a traditional school, but USN isn’t tradition by any means. We have no books, we can’t just look up information, and you have to pass with a 90% (with exceptions) on all your exams. If you don’t pass with a 90% on three exams, you are on probation, miss the 90% mark on 5 exams, USN will tell you to pack your bags and thank you for your $40,000 dollar donation. Anyhow, back on topic, some of the faculty will intentionally leave out things, or intentionally not stress important topics so we’d miss them on the exam. Then they will tell you after the exam, what you actually needed to know. There are no review sessions; there is nothing to prepare you for your exam but some old tests written by professors who are most likely not working at USN anymore.
Another problem at USN is the level of difficulty separating the p1 and p2 year and the block system. The p1 is easy mainly because its review of undergraduate material, but its material that is suppose to prepare you for your p2 year, because during your p2 year there are no reviews of systems. Now, because it’s a block system, you can be learning about cardiology during your p2 year, but you are expected to draw back to information you learned a year ago in some obscure chart during your p1 year. Well, at least you would expect your current professor to tell you to go back and review the material, but he/she won’t tell you to do so mainly because your current professor didn’t teach your first block, and doesn’t know what was taught to you. However, what you learned a year ago during your p1 year is fair game on your exam as a p2, even though you had no idea it was going to be on the test (remember USN is paperless, no books, nothing). Since we are talking about exams, let’s continue with exams.
USN utilizes a pass/no pass scoring on all exams. In order to pass, you have to pass with a 90% (6 points) individual, but you can gain 3 bonus points with team points (so total is 9 points, you can usually miss). If you fail the first time (no pass), you can retake a harder version of the test in 2 days, but can only miss a total of 6 points (no team points are allowed). If you fail this, you end up in summer school. IF you have 3 summer remediation, you are on probation, if you miss 5, you are kicked out. This is really stressful. You have over 20 to 25 major assessments each year and you have to score a 90% on all of them. You are allowed to challenge questions after an exam to get the questions thrown out, but the professors don’t have to listen to you, let alone throw any questions out and this depends on their mood lately. If you challenge them, the professors are more likely to degrade you in front of the class, calling you stupid, idiotic, or whatever adjective they feel is necessary to deflect the question. So what do you do, if you can’t challenge a question? Is there an appeals process?
Hopefully my experience will help the applicants make a more informed decision about USN, and hopefully, the p1/p2's who are reading this will know what to expect in the days/years ahead of them. Good luck

Please don't listen to this troll, this poster was a past angry "student", or who knows that is venting. If you really want some advice on USN, hit diastole up. He's a current pharm student at USN & has been very helpful to anything I've asked him. Once AGAIN although our curriculum is similar, does not mean we are USN! We set our own pace so don't get intimidated by this!

Please don't listen to this troll, this poster was a past angry "student", or who knows that is venting. If you really want some advice on USN, hit diastole up. He's a current pharm student at USN & has been very helpful to anything I've asked him. Once AGAIN although our curriculum is similar, does not mean we are USN! We set our own pace so don't get intimidated by this!

I know.....but I am concerned about this pass/fail/ honor program......I like UMES and faculty was really nice but when the are following USN module the we gotta chk the success of USN module because it is a very big step to choose the right School.......I hope u understand my concern

I know.....but I am concerned about this pass/fail/ honor program......I like UMES and faculty was really nice but when the are following USN module the we gotta chk the success of USN module because it is a very big step to choose the right School.......I hope u understand my concern

I totally understand your concern and I respect the fact that you take your future education and success seriously. You also have to ask yourself how motivated of a student are you? How are your study habits? I'm pretty sure majority of students in 3 yr, block system schools are passing otherwise the schools would be in trouble. The fact that UMES is having a block system for it's accelerated program in my opinion is fantastic. LECOM is accelerated yet you have 5-6 classes/term crammed down your throat. Not too conducive to learning, don't you think? No one said it's gonna be an easy road but guess what, believe in yourself my friend. Plus we'll all be IN it TOGETHER! We're not gonna let each other fail. Now this is Commitment! I've read that USN post, don't let that ONE student scare you. :)