UMiami MD vs MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolaComaEsta

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

After only getting DO acceptances, I'm happy to finally have received my first choice MD acceptance!
I have been accepted to both the MD and MD/MPH programs, but have only weeks to decide which I would rather attend.
I'm really interested in hearing the difference in training aswell as the difference in time commitment between each program! Thank you

MD

PROS:

-Non mandatory lectures
-Stay in Miami all 4 years
-Summer and Winter breaks
-Time for research

CONS:
-8 weeks of straight anatomy
-No MPH degree
-Rotations at Jackson? (Heard less individualized attention)

MD/MPH

PROS:
-MPH degree
-More PBL
-Small class size
-Anatomy spread over entire 1st year
-International capstone opportunities

CONS:
-Mandatory PBL and Public health courses
-Start summer before MS1 and work during summers
-Rotations during 3rd and 4th year about an hour outside of Miami would have to relocate.

Members don't see this ad.

what are your career goals. Unless you are going to use that MPH it is going to be completely useless and going to cost you 200K plus tution.

I want to go into primary care and create programs for underserved communities, but i’m debating whether these aren’t skills I can learn through the regular MD program also. Work life balance is really important to me and i’n curious if a master will inprove residency opportunities considerably?

The MD/MPH is a 4 year degree and cost almost exactly the same as the traditional 4 year curriculum.

I want to go into primary care and create programs for underserved communities, but i’m debating whether these aren’t skills I can learn through the regular MD program also. Work life balance is really important to me and i’n curious if a master will inprove residency opportunities considerably?

The MD/MPH is a 4 year degree and cost almost exactly the same as the traditional 4 year curriculum.
you do not need an MPH to get a family medicine residency. Some primary care residencies actually offer an MPH as part of the deal for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who was also accepted to UMiami, I'm curious where you found your pro of time for research? Is this allocated time or are you saying because you don't have to do all the MPH stuff if you do MD only?

Also, one of the cons I saw with the MPH program was that if I remember correctly there is less time for STEP1. Could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure. Jackson and Miami seem dope and not getting that clinical experience/living situation seems like a big con of MPH to me. To piggy back on what others said, I think you would be fine without the MPH for the reasons you listed. Sounds like extra stress for not a huge benefit in your specific career goals!

Reactions: 1 user