anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
BrianUM said:
Just curious to see if there are any other SDNers that got into the 7 year Medical Scholars Program..so far the only one I know on this website that is in it is BuckyBallMD..anyone else?
I am applying this year. But my chances aren't so great since I am out of state. don't they only take 5 people each year?

OP
BrianUM

BrianUM

Future M.D
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Miami, FL
Status
Medical Student
The MSP is for UM students only...if you are in high school I think you are referring to the HPME...its really tough to get in but i thought they accepted more than 5...pm me if you have any more questions :)

About the Ads

James Moriarty

The Napoleon of Crime
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
Gainesville
Status
Pre-Medical
This program sounds really cool, I'm not going to lie. I think anyone at UM who is eligible should apply for it.

Brian, in your opinion, was it hard to gain admission? How does the entire process work? Were you heavily scrutinzed in the interview?

anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
BrianUM said:
The MSP is for UM students only...if you are in high school I think you are referring to the HPME...its really tough to get in but i thought they accepted more than 5...pm me if you have any more questions :)

Oh...I was thinking of the MD/PhD program, not the MSP. My bad!

OP
BrianUM

BrianUM

Future M.D
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Miami, FL
Status
Medical Student
James Moriarty said:
This program sounds really cool, I'm not going to lie. I think anyone at UM who is eligible should apply for it.

Brian, in your opinion, was it hard to gain admission? How does the entire process work? Were you heavily scrutinzed in the interview?
Hey James

Didn't you also get into a 7 year program at UF? I'm curious to know more about that program.

It is very competitive to get into the MSP...supposedly there are stories of people with gpa's MUCH better than mine that did not get in...The interview wasnt bad..I would say no longer than 30 mins maybe and I was asked very general questions...From what I can tell they value physician shadowing and research so if you do that since your freshman year you should have a big advantage...

As for the process, its open to only UM sophomores who have a 3.7 gpa and a certain act (I had a 30, which I think is what the min is now). Everything is do sometime in March and they require you to fill out this application, discuss your patient contact experiences and explain why you want to get in the program. They then invite some people for the interview.

In my case, I entered the school in 2004 and the requirements have since changed. In my letter it says that since the requirements changed I only need to maintain a 3.2 science. 3.4 overall and just take the MCAT. An advisor told me that I just need to take it and dont need a minimum score. I'm still studying for it though

Any other questions, dont hesitate to ask...

James Moriarty

The Napoleon of Crime
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
Gainesville
Status
Pre-Medical
BrianUM said:
Hey James

Didn't you also get into a 7 year program at UF? I'm curious to know more about that program.

It is very competitive to get into the MSP...supposedly there are stories of people with gpa's MUCH better than mine that did not get in...The interview wasnt bad..I would say no longer than 30 mins maybe and I was asked very general questions...From what I can tell they value physician shadowing and research so if you do that since your freshman year you should have a big advantage...

As for the process, its open to only UM sophomores who have a 3.7 gpa and a certain act (I had a 30, which I think is what the min is now). Everything is do sometime in March and they require you to fill out this application, discuss your patient contact experiences and explain why you want to get in the program. They then invite some people for the interview.

In my case, I entered the school in 2004 and the requirements have since changed. In my letter it says that since the requirements changed I only need to maintain a 3.2 science. 3.4 overall and just take the MCAT. An advisor told me that I just need to take it and dont need a minimum score. I'm still studying for it though

Any other questions, dont hesitate to ask...
As you know, UF has a very similar program called the Junior Honors Medical Program which is also very competitive to gain admission. As long as you are a florida resident in your sophmore year you can apply to the program (regardless of the college). Even so, like 99% of the accepted students are from UF.

In the beginning of January, you call the UF Office of Admission's for a primary application which pretty much only asks for your GPA, SAT, and College. Even though the minimum requirements are 3.5 and 1200 SAT, I think most of the applicants have higher then that (however, not all). If they approve of the primary application (deadline Feb 1st), they email you a secondary application which is much more detailed (and from what I understand, heavily mimicks the AMCAS). It pretty much asks for recommendations, high school activities, college extracurriculars, awards, hobbies and interests, and of course a personal statement.

Once you complete this and mail it back to them with a copy of your birth certificate/visa to prove you are a U.S. citizen (deadline is March 1st), you then await another email concerning whether you qualify for an interview. However, Robyn Sheppard (she is so nice, I love Robyn :) ) calls you and tells you that they want to interview and asks when you are available, and then they email you the directions and stuff.

They interview roughly 30 people for a maximum of 12 positions. The interviews are held through out each week in april (with 7 interviewees per week). Each applicant has 4 interviews approximately 30 minutes each. You have to meet with the Chair of the Medical Selection Committee, the program director, and then two additional members of the medical selection committee all throughout the day (interview day is from 11-4). UF also emphasizes that you have clinical experience/patient contact, but the reason you have so many interviews is that they want to be sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. If they believe you are sure know what being a doctor entails, while also conveying a certain level of maturity, you should have nothing to worry about (grades are moot point at this stage in the interview).

Once they receive your final grades, they mail you your decision. The big catch to the UF program is that you do NOT have to take the MCAT Luckily, I was the non-UF guy this time around (I went to FSU). I promptly stopped studying for the MCAT once I received the news.

Tell me something Brian, how did you react when you found out? I am still coming to the realization that I am going to be a doctor haha. Did you celebrate at all?

OP
BrianUM

BrianUM

Future M.D
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Miami, FL
Status
Medical Student
Dude congratulations!

I was stoked that I got in...this is like a dream come true for me...I am going to do something honorable and that makes me happy...

I planned a celebration with my fam and friends and gf the day after the august mcat...when i opened the letter I saw the words "its a pleasure" and it was then that I knew I got in...my mom was crying and screaming lol...

I took about a week off before coming down back to reality and to studying for the mcat...

James Moriarty

The Napoleon of Crime
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
Gainesville
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats to you, too . I was very happy as well, but I didn't fully comprehend the implications of what this meant until a week after I had been accepted. I was just stuck in this "i'm never done, gotta be a competitive premed" mode. Then I got REALLY excited and started partying once I realized I was done and could take a breath for a change. UM and UF are both top notch schools (as are USF and FSU). Florida has it good considering how many medical schools we currently have and will have in the near future. Are you familiar with anyone else accepted into the program? I've been trying to contact my new peers via facebook. Also, when you matriculate into med school next year, are you going to reveal the fact that you are a medical scholar to your classmates?

About the Ads