UMiami vs Case Western (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brabaroni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UMiami vs Case Western (WL)

These posts have been helping a ton and I think I just need some internet strangers to give me some advice so I can decide between letter of interest or intent to Case.

Case Western

Pros
  • True P/F

• Non-mandatory, recorded lectures

• 8-12 small-group only, seems like students have tons of free time to have other interests outside of school. Would make leaving to visit SO much easier.

• Really enjoyed my interview day here. Students were really nice and seemed happy to attend the school. Admin was super nice, idk if this is just a midwest thing but everyone seemed very genuine

• Great match list and board scores

• Cleveland clinic and affiliated university hospital system is incredible.

• arguably one of the best places for cardiovascular research/treatment

• Name recognition

• time for dedicated research

• Masters of science in nutrition program. Free masters to give me specialized training/research opportunities that I'm very interested in.
Cons
  • Cleveland and the weather. I'm from CA and currently live in SF which is the coldest climate I've ever lived in lol (and it almost never gets into the 40s). Not sure if Cleveland as a city is good enough to deal with the cold

• mandatory PBL 8-12 a couple days a week. I liked the sessions while I was there but I could see myself getting lost having to do so much independent study of the cases.

• COA is very high. ~60k for tuition alone. Cost is a big factor to me since I already have some UG loans and I don't think I want to go into derm or surgery.

• I know no one in Ohio and it seems pretty isolating there. I generally feel like I would be less happy here.
UMiami

Pros
  • COA is super low for me. I will have instate tuition (38k) and received a 10k/yr merit scholarship bringing tuition to half of Case's. Will possibly/likely get need-based aid as well. Makes attending this school at LEAST $120k cheaper assuming I don't get scholarship aid from CWRU off waitlist.

• Miami is awesome. Fun international city with diverse culture and amazing weather. People are beautiful and living in the downtown high-rise community sounds dope af.

• incredible match list for mid tier school.

• I really loved my interview day here. I had a lot of fun with the students and they seemed like my kind of people. Very outgoing and a kind of work hard play hard environment. I feel like I would have a healthy amount of fun here.

• My mom moved to South FL about 4 years ago and shes ~2 hrs from Miami. Would be nice to be close to family. I also have a little dog and shes used to be a dog trainer and if times get tough it would be sweet to just have her pick up the dog and fix him up for a couple days lol.

• Will be in a LDR from either SF or DC/NYC with my girlfriend. I think it is significantly more appealing to both of us to meet up in Miami vs Cleveland.

• Established research/clinical departments, residency programs.

• tons of clinical experience freedom. Jackson seems like they give you the ability to do a ton really early on and that kind of clinical experience seems very valuable

• Weather needs to be emphasized again
Cons

• Furthest thing from true P/F. 1-100% grades with quartile rankings. This is by far my biggest worry with going to UM and it has made me really paranoid since my acceptance. Then again, I've always had grades and I'm confused why they are going to all the sudden ruin my life.

• Lower board scores by ~10 points

• on LCME warning for some infractions including student mistreatment. Recent scandal about a pervy/creepy med student.
Interests

Likely something in IM (Cards/Endo/GI) or FM. I'm really interested in chronic preventable disease, specifically T2 diabetes and obesity. I would like to match residency in a coastal big city. Either back west coast or in the north east.

Conclusion

I'm leaning towards Miami. I really loved Case and could see myself in Cleveland for a couple years but Miami just feels a lot better. Main driving factors making me seriously consider Case are the grading system, board scores, student free time, and huge cardiovascular research/experience network. I think if Miami was P/F it would likely be the easy winner to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I am really impressed by Case from what I have read online. On the USNWR page it says that they have a 97% match rate for students first choice rank?? That seems impossible but what it says lol... I'm not gonna vote because I'm waiting to hear back from Miami so don't want to sway you either way.

I think the COL in Miami vs higher tuition at case might even out, but not sure. And I think you will probably be able to find friends in either location. The weather in Miami is of course to die for and it's a phenomenal school as well. You can't choose wrong!

I thought Case only recorded their once-a-week review lessons. Typical lectures aren’t recorded but slides are available online. Please correct if I’m wrong!