UMiami vs. Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaylit97

Reaction score
About me: I wanna go into Med-Peds or just straight Pedd. I do enjoy research but I definitely don’t see myself being the physician-scientist types. Academic medicine might be in my future, specifically working on admissions commmiteess to increase diversity at med schools. I always planned on getting my MPH, just hate the thought of taking a year of med school. Ultimately, I wanna go to a school that will allow me to get my top match choice (preferably CHOP).

Hofstra
Pros
  • Near home, family, SO
  • I REALLY like their curriculum
  • Really amazing scholarship offer
  • I’m familiar with NY just not LI
  • Brand new facilities
  • True pass/fail
  • Feinstein has great research opportunities

Cons
  • Still kind of a new med school, not much history there if we’re being honest
  • Seems there’s a lack of diversity
  • I’m not sure how I feel about no multiple choice exams
  • I really hate snow and i’m a new driver so that’s nerve wracking for me
  • I didn’t really vibe with any of the interviewees on my interview day
  • COL is high (but the scholarship makes up for it)

UMiami
Pros
  • 2 degrees MD & MPH
  • The curriculum for the MD/MPH program is really great and I like that it’s a smaller cohort
  • Miami would be a super fun place to live
  • Has great diversity
  • Really liked the people I met

Cons
  • Far from my home, SO, family (but I have one family member in west florida)
  • The scholarship money they gave me might just barely cover my rent
  • COL is high
  • Older facilities
  • Not pass/fail

Summary: All in all, Hofstra is the logical choice but I kinda wanna get away from the Northeast for once in my life lol. Also, the MPH in four years is a huge asset in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

How serious are you with your SO? If I'm honest, Hofstra sounds like the better pick in multiple regards, minus the weather.

Miami will be P/F for the next incoming class. I’m a current MD/MPH student who moved far away from family/friends/SO when I could have lived closer, but I have no regrets thus far. The students in MD/MPH are a tight knit group, and the friends I’ve made in the program have provided me with the support system to get through, at least so far!

we're pretty serious. he's applying to master's programs next year as well so i don't wanna be too far aka miami

It sounds like the choice is obvious then :)

Also, if I'm honest, at the risk of trivializing your cons for Hofstra, they really don't sound bad at all; "multiple choice exams, new driver, high COL (which is more than made up for by your scholarship)." Those all sounds like things you can easily get past.