UMich application is incomplete. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Handsome boy

Reaction score
Hi,

I didn't know that the University of Michigan requires two science letters that must be from two science instructors who taught and graded me in a class.
I have two letters from science faculties. One of them is from my organic chemistry professor but the other one is from my research mentor. And I received a notification from UMich saying that the science letter from my research mentor doesn't count as a science letter. Thus, they say my application is incomplete until I submit another science letter from an instructor who taught and graded me.
I have difficulty in finding another instructor who taught and graded me to write me a strong letter. Especially during the pandemic and I cannot meet with any instructors in person.

The first email UMich sent to me was to tell me to pay for the supplemental fee but it didn't mention that one of my science letters doesn't count. After I paid for the supplemental fee, they sent me another email saying that my application is incomplete.

I don't know what to do. Should I ask UMich to withdraw my application from consideration because I don't want to ask one more letter just because UMich needs it. Wasted $180 on applying to UMich without even getting my application reviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

Find another science prof, explain your predicament, and give them your resume/why you wanna be a dentist

Just find another professor, it doesn’t need to be the best letter ever, but why would you give up and waste $180 without even trying

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Better to have a weak supporting letter and a complete application than an incomplete application. Find another professor who you know pretty well and explain the situation to them.

Get that letter and get accepted to Umich!

Edit: Also I'd bet they didn't notice the missing letter until you paid because they didn't look at it until they had the money for the secondary.

Better to have a weak supporting letter and a complete application than an incomplete application. Find another professor who you know pretty well and explain the situation to them.

Get that letter and get accepted to Umich!

Edit: Also I'd bet they didn't notice the missing letter until you paid because they didn't look at it until they had the money for the secondary.
Thanks for your input. I don't know another professor who knows me well. Also, would the weak letter hurt me? Because once I upload the weak letter to AADSAS, all schools that I applied to will receive the new letter.

Thanks for your input. I don't know another professor who knows me well. Also, would the weak letter hurt me? Because once I upload the weak letter to AADSAS, all schools that I applied to will receive the new letter.
Get interfolio, manage the letter this way, and send the extra letter to umich directly, rather than uploading to AADSAS.

Last edited:
Just get any letter, letter of recommendations are no where near as relevant as stats.