umich housing/transpo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roundabout

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is sort of silly stuff, but nevertheless my biggest concern w/umich... :rolleyes: i know that ppl usually live in the 'medschool ghetto' around island drive etc... do these students have to walk to the med school every morning or is there a bus? i'm just really dislike wandering around in the cold :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

isn't it only a five minute walk though? most ppl said the apts sucked but the location was key.

for any umich students: when do these apartments start filling up? i'm thinking about visiting before the 2nd look because i'm afraid it may be too late to find a place in the ghetto before may 8th...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to take care of housing arrangements until the 2nd look weekend. I don't think it'll be a problem. See you in May!

being semi-familiar with the area, i thought it would be about a 15-20min walk if you use the med school entrance(and worse when it snows)... which i mean isn't too bad, but i'm all about public transpo

yeah, the walk from the island park area apts. to the hospital isn't bad at all. i've never done it in the snow, but in summer it was manageable (even though really warm).

There are also a whole bunch of apts. around catherine street, but i think they are popular with the undergrad/nursing students.

either way, i'll probably have to scope one out at some point...

there are cheaper apts down washtenaw st, 10mins straight drive from med schl area/central campus. Like right off US-23 area.
In the range of like $490-$700/1bedroom

I live in the ghetto.......I like my apartment actually............word of advise: med center court is a lot nicer than island drive.........seriously..........on a biased note though, if you are interested, PM me, and I'll give you my name and address. I think I get $200 off my rent for each referral..........either way, whatever I get, I'll split with you :)

As for the walk, there is no bus. It is 15 minutes from my door to the lecture hall door with about half of that walk being in doors. Even when it is snowing hard it isn't bad. Buy a jacket, hat and gloves.........not in Cali or the dirty south, but up here when you move here.

I know with Island Drive Apts there isn't too much of a hurry to sign a lease, my roommates and I didn't sign ours until June of last year, and it turned out all good. I think they were actually getting kind of desperate for tenants as we got our first month free. They aren't the swankest digs, but they're located in a pretty prime spot (and there's a pool for the 3 months of the year when it's warm enough to swim!). Of the walk to the med school, probably less than ten minutes of it is outside.

thanks for all the suggestions!
marakah2 - what condo complex are you buying from? i was sort of looking into buying too...

To those who go to UMich, is it a hassle to live outside of the "ghetto" and park in one of the nearby lots? I checked the bus schedule and one supposedly runs every 5 minutes straight to the hospital. Obviously, there's the added cost of parking, but is this such a bad option?

as a med student, you won't be able to park in any of the nearby lots during the day (until after 3pm)... you'll be able to park, but very far away on north campus... parking really sucks in ann arbor.

Originally posted by SunnyS81
I live in the ghetto.......I like my apartment actually............word of advise: med center court is a lot nicer than island drive.........seriously..........on a biased note though, if you are interested, PM me, and I'll give you my name and address. I think I get $200 off my rent for each referral..........either way, whatever I get, I'll split with you :)

As for the walk, there is no bus. It is 15 minutes from my door to the lecture hall door with about half of that walk being in doors. Even when it is snowing hard it isn't bad. Buy a jacket, hat and gloves.........not in Cali or the dirty south, but up here when you move here.

sunny,

when does med center usually fill up?

I have no clue where there fill up.......

As for parking, and if you want a parking space "near the school" (which puts you about as far away from teh school as the ghetto......maybe you save one minute at best), you have to get to school at 8am everyday.............our classes usually start 9am or later.........which sucks for those commuting in.......