Umich LOR request

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeseop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, Umich says they ask LORs for applicants who are being considered for an interview.
does anyone know how selective this might be?
do they ask almost everyone? or vice versa?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, they asked for my lors early september. My application was complete on Sept 13th, but no interview invite. :( I guess they ask everyone...?

No interview for me either, but they asked for my letters at the same time I sent in my secondary.....JULY 26! I can't believe it's been over 2 months....I suppose I should be starting to consider the fact that I may never hear anything....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UMich on 9/22. However, I had sent in my LORs long before they were requested (at the end of July). I just didn't realize that they didn't want them unless they asked...
:)

Supposedly, Umich says they ask LORs for applicants who are being considered for an interview.
does anyone know how selective this might be?
do they ask almost everyone? or vice versa?

They have had mine for 3 weeks (they are checked off on the status page), but my status page still says "recommendations requested" .

Is this status not changed until they offer an interview or decided to reject you?

They have had mine for 3 weeks (they are checked off on the status page), but my status page still says "recommendations requested" .

Is this status not changed until they offer an interview or decided to reject you?

Same for me. I'd like to know too.
(I actually emailed them today. If I get a response I will let you know)

i don't know about LOR request, but I think when they request a photo it means you're being invited for an interview (check out last year's Michigan thread)

They don't ask everyone for their recommendations. They never asked me ...

i don't know about LOR request, but I think when they request a photo it means you're being invited for an interview (check out last year's Michigan thread)

yea i did a search and saw the thread before.
but it seems like the photo gig was for last yr only.
i couldn't find anything about photos on umich website for this year.

also, the last yr's thread seems to have a general consensus that if u get asked for a photo and LORs, then you are highly likely to be offered an interview.

Same for me. I'd like to know too.
(I actually emailed them today. If I get a response I will let you know)

I received a response from the admissions office today. Basically, I asked why my status still says "LOR's requested" when I have had all my material in for over a month. They wrote back "we are having some technical difficulties. I changed your status to Complete". Upon viewing my status page they did indeed change it to "Complete".

Im not sure if this "technical difficulty" prevented my application from being reviewed at an earlier time. I hope not!!

I interviewed at UMich on 9/22. However, I had sent in my LORs long before they were requested (at the end of July). I just didn't realize that they didn't want them unless they asked...
:)

TSK, were you one of the 50% of the group from California? =)