UMich (OOS) vs. VCU (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalanon

Reaction score

*OOS

Pros:
  • Better name
  • Ann Arbor is a better place to live
  • Better opportunities for research, extra curriculars, and networking?
  • Has community rotations (3 months in D4 year)
  • Has global outreach programs
  • Same campus/connected to undergrad -> bigger community?
Cons:
  • Far from home (flight)
  • Harder curriculum?
  • Colder
  • Starting fresh in a new city

School 2: VCU
* IS

Pros:
  • 25 mins from home (but not planning on commuting)
  • Support system nearby
  • Warmer
  • Solid clinical experience
Cons:
  • less of a "name"
  • not as many extra curriculars or opportunities to engage in global outreach
  • no community rotations or externships
  • not as great of a location
  • isolated from undergrad campus

Summary:
I grew up in Michigan so I am pretty familiar with Ann Arbor and love the city. I have been in Richmond (where VCU is) for years now, so I am itching to leave, but also, my entire family and group of friends lives here in the Virginia area. Although Michigan is OOS for me, the cost difference between the two schools is negligible (would only be about $20k over the 4 years). I think I want to specialize so I am wondering if Michigan holds a better name/opportunities that would allow me to do so. I'm particularly interested in global dentistry and plan on working abroad for some time after graduation, so looking for the best clinical experience possible. Both have new clinics/facilities opening in 2022 and similar class sizes, so basically I want to know - which school has a better overall program and more clinical experience? Is it worth moving away from home for a new city experience? I know I am overthinking but I am really struggling with this decision and what I should be prioritizing in a school!

Members don't see this ad.

I hear Michigan is rigorous, it’s name carries weight when applying to residencies, clinical experience is patient pool dependent (some students are patient rich, some patient poor), ann arbor is nice if you like the small college town vibe and watching football, snows a lot.

Know nothing about VCU

I remember when my sister went to dental school, she came home almost every weekend to be with the family and pick up food our parents made for her to take back since she had hardly any time to cook. Having family within such a driving distance is a huge help and will translate to you performing better in school with all of the various forms of support (at least that's my hypothesis drawn from her experience lol), but UMich has a stellar, though very rigorous, program that is well known and could help with specializing. Personally I'm going to choose my state school (if I get accepted off the waitlist) over UMich for mainly those reasons, plus the cost difference, but it's up to you how you weigh the pros and cons. Personal preference. Good luck! Can't go wrong either way imo

Reactions: 1 user