UMich Status page - Does this mean I'm rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfrenkie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - On august 9th my status on my UMich status page changed from "no status" to "Ready for preliminary review" even though my materials had been complete with them for several weeks. It hasn't changed again since. I know that they don't issue rejections until mid-october, so does this likely mean that they've already decided to reject me and they're just sitting on it? Anyone else in a similar situation or get marked as "Ready for preliminary review" around the same time as me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys - On august 9th my status on my UMich status page changed from "no status" to "Ready for preliminary review" even though my materials had been complete with them for several weeks. It hasn't changed again since. I know that they don't issue rejections until mid-october, so does this likely mean that they've already decided to reject me and they're just sitting on it? Anyone else in a similar situation or get marked as "Ready for preliminary review" around the same time as me?

How did you get "I've been rejected" from "ready for preliminary review???' It means exactly what it says - that you're ready for preliminary review.

Calm down.

All that means is they finally processed everythign you sent them and put it together in a file for the admissions committee to look at. So now its with the admissions committee and they will make a decision on it sometime in the future.

ZOMG my status page says "APPLICATION COMPLETE"

DOES THIS MEAN IM REJECTED??!?!?

AHHHHH my status page says "RECEIVED PAYMENT"

AM I REJECTED OMG LIFE SUX

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering that it's my first choice choice, I've been complete there since the beginning of July, and the number of interviews left are quickly dwindling, I think it's a valid question. Thanks for trolling though eternal.

Just because it's your first choice doesn't make the question valid. And it is not trolling unless the OP's question has not been answered - which yours has, alwaysangel gave the same adequate response we always give these threads.

Now sit back, grab some hot cocoa, and enjoy the flames.

I got the same message at the same time as you mfrenkie. I'm guessing it means a rejection.

I don't think people mean to be mean - but with as active as this forum is questions like this just get old and people start responding more abusively because it distracts us from waiting for our own interviews.

But seriously, just think before you ask next time, you're like the woman who was in my tour group when I went to see the capital in DC. After the 4th time we were told no food would be allowed and it would be thrown away if we tried to take it in, she raised up an OPENED, half eaten bag of potato chips and asked 'so can this go in??' :rolleyes:

Uh, I'm no expert in this area, but from what I read in your post, I'd say, "Ready for preliminary review," means just that. Just because you were technically complete with them a long time ago, doesn't mean they should immediately acknowledge that fact until they have reviewed you for completeness, which it appears that they just have.

Take a few breaths; you're probably reading too much into it.

seeing as how every other thread on this site is like this one, i think its safe to say that SDN is currently :thumbdown:

it means rejection... the best thing to do is to withdraw your application now... and encourage all of your friends with the same message to do so as well, especially those with high stats... no need for anyone to get thier hopes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering that it's my first choice choice, I've been complete there since the beginning of July, and the number of interviews left are quickly dwindling, I think it's a valid question. Thanks for trolling though eternal.

it's a terrible question

I would take their world for it. I will assume that they mean what they say, they might have had the application for a while but now it will be assigned to some one (or several people) to look at.

did we end up deciding that umich only asks for LORs from people who are offered interviews? the language on the FAQ seems to point that way. im just curious because I just submitted mine.

Wow, i can't believe you guys just flameburned the OP. UMich invited me on an interview only based on my amcas which was verified in September. I haven't even touched their secondary and i have no status on their status page. So, it's not unreasonable that the OP did in fact get rejected. Jeez, you guys should chill out a bit.

ps and yeah i think UMich only asks for your LOR after they invite you to an interview.

Wow, i can't believe you guys just flameburned the OP. UMich invited me on an interview only based on my amcas which was verified in September. I haven't even touched their secondary and i have no status on their status page. So, it's not unreasonable that the OP did in fact get rejected. Jeez, you guys should chill out a bit.
Yeah we were kinda rough on him, huh. But alwaysangel is correct, it's not that we're being mean, it's that we have 23901839120 "am I rejected threads" a day. We must all learn to love and cherish one of SDNs oldest and most respected functions:

b49863944.jpg

ZOMG my status page says "APPLICATION COMPLETE"

DOES THIS MEAN IM REJECTED??!?!?

AHHHHH my status page says "RECEIVED PAYMENT"

AM I REJECTED OMG LIFE SUX

I guess schools are going to have to append explanations to status changes.

"APPLICATION COMPLETE. This means your application is complete. We have all the paperwork. You are not rejected. We have not decided about whether to send you an interview. This process takes time. This is not a drive-through. When we know, you'll know. You are not rejected."

If they really wanted to be ambiguous, they'd change your status to

"'You are a brave, strong stallion. You graze in infinite green fields. The river runneth over with your glory."

or maybe just

"Your file is missing the following items: the cha-cha-cha. Do not call the office regarding this matter. We have programmed our phones to block your number. Find us a cha-cha-cha or else!!!!!!!

P.S. Thank you for your interest in our school of medicine."

If it says "On Hold" its most likely a rejection. If it says you are going to be screened, it means you are goin to be screened (IE ready for review). The process takes a long time people, be patient and please understand that everythign is not a rejection.

"Your file is missing the following items: the cha-cha-cha. Do not call the office regarding this matter. We have programmed our phones to block your number. Find us a cha-cha-cha or else!!!!!!!

P.S. Thank you for your interest in our school of medicine."

I like this one - all schools should have this message on their status page at some point in the process.

ps and yeah i think UMich only asks for your LOR after they invite you to an interview.

well considering this is your first post im pretty sure you ARE the OP. But even if you aren't how does the fact that michigan give auto interviews for high numbers make it ok to think that a "review" means "rejection"

p.s. asking for letters means they are considering you for interview

Please be patient. I my application at UMICH went from complete, to ready for preliminary review, to hold, to INTERVIEW!!! It's just a matter of time!

hmm, so PuertoRicanDiva, your application was officially 'on hold' on the status page, and then you got an interview now?

That's good news.

I can't believe how many of you guys are such dinguses. If you're so concerned about people "wasting your time," perhaps you can just stop spending so much time on SDN?

I can't believe how many of you guys are such dinguses. If you're so concerned about people "wasting your time," perhaps you can just stop spending so much time on SDN?

Its not about being dinguses, its about teaching people who are 20+ years old to think before they speak. That old mantra "there are no stupid questions" is WRONG. There are stupid questions, and the people who ask them are considered stupid.

How many times have we ALL sat in an O-Chem class and some ******* premed raises their had and LITERALLY repeats the same exact thing the prof just said only in question form. FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Or they ask some stupid BASIC question that if they had thought about it for 2 seconds they could have known the answer themselves. Or hell even looked it up in the book. God, especially in Office hours - the number of stupid questions people come up with in office hours is ABSOLUTELY astounding.

Honestly, I sometimes think the premed lifestyle where premeds are working to suck up to professors to get letters of rec. is why this happens. They get so used to asking stupid questions - just so they have something to open their mouth about - that they start thinking stupid questions are ok.

They're not. They make you look stupid. When a question comes to your head, think about it for at least 30 seconds, determine if its not somethign you can google or look up in the book, and ONLY THEN should you ask it. We are all at least 20 years old, we've been in school for ages and we should know better than asking a question that could have been solved with a dictionary.

/rant

There's something called forum etiquette and it takes a while for noobies to learn it but the best way is to get flamed otherwise we are going to have a hell of alot of forum abuse and wasted bandwidth. The less junk people have to surf through to get their answers the better - threads like these clog up the search engine and make it hard to use.

And I'd like to point out that the OP's question was adequately answered by the second post, so any flaming afterwards isn't really trolling.

Its not about being dinguses, its about teaching people who are 20+ years old to think before they speak. That old mantra "there are no stupid questions" is WRONG. There are stupid questions, and the people who ask them are considered stupid.

How many times have we ALL sat in an O-Chem class and some ******* premed raises their had and LITERALLY repeats the same exact thing the prof just said only in question form. FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Or they ask some stupid BASIC question that if they had thought about it for 2 seconds they could have known the answer themselves. Or hell even looked it up in the book. God, especially in Office hours - the number of stupid questions people come up with in office hours is ABSOLUTELY astounding.

Honestly, I sometimes think the premed lifestyle where premeds are working to suck up to professors to get letters of rec. is why this happens. They get so used to asking stupid questions - just so they have something to open their mouth about - that they start thinking stupid questions are ok.

They're not. They make you look stupid. When a question comes to your head, think about it for at least 30 seconds, determine if its not somethign you can google or look up in the book, and ONLY THEN should you ask it. We are all at least 20 years old, we've been in school for ages and we should know better than asking a question that could have been solved with a dictionary.

/rant
Hear hear!

One less stressed SDNer means one less gunner in med school we have to refrain from pile driving into the sidewalk.

well considering this is your first post im pretty sure you ARE the OP. But even if you aren't how does the fact that michigan give auto interviews for high numbers make it ok to think that a "review" means "rejection"

p.s. asking for letters means they are considering you for interview

Well, if i can figure out how to post a screenshot of my umich status page in my post then you'll see that i'm not the OP. I've been reading the SND forums for a long time but i never really had an urge to post anything until i saw the barrage of criticism in this thread. I'm not supporting the OP's actions but you guys should be a little more considerate. He (she) is probably flipping out just like most everyone else that is applying this year. Instead of making all the smart ass comments you could have just answered the question and this thread would have dissapeared in no time.

And next time, he won't flip out. He will think through it carefully, and then if he still thinks its a question, great, do a search, and then post if you can't find anything.

It's just forum etiquette, it helps keep things sane.

It isn't about this one thread going away. Any given day at least two of these threads are started and they are nearly identical. I posted up a nice friendly general status help thing for people to refer to this morning to try and be considerate but it has since dissappeared into page 2.

No worries. They're finally getting around to reviewing your app. To give some perspective, there's only been 2 interview days so far at U of M, and these were all auto-interviews, so I'm sure they've been busy with those. Sit tight.

Guys,
Come on. If it bugs you don't read it. Leave the poor kid alone. He's stressed. He's complete and not rejected, but he's stressed. Look at the picture of my puppy. He will make you will better. In fact thats my advice for all of you bordering on insanity and depression from this process, GET A PUPPY, I did....;)

P.S. If someone starts a thread on how insane it is to have a dog during medical school I'm gonna flip out, so don't even try it!!!:mad:

No all it means is they are reviewing it. If they choose to interview they will offer you an interview after. If they do not want to interview you will be put on hold. This would still mean they may interview you. I was reviewed then put on hold then interviewed (took until Feb 2007) and was accepted one week later.

It is early and they will be offering interviews all the way until January and even a few in Feb. If you do get an interview you will have a chance to get in. They do not interview for the waitlist only. Last year even people who interviewed on the last day (early march) were offered admissions.

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions about UMich feel free to PM me

GO BLUE!

And next time, he won't flip out. He will think through it carefully, and then if he still thinks its a question, great, do a search, and then post if you can't find anything.

It's just forum etiquette, it helps keep things sane.

I agree. But, based on my experience on this and other boards no matter how hard you try there are still going to be people making OMG threads every day. I feel that making overly critical comments (even if warranted) negatively affect the overall mood of the boards, so you might as well just answer the person's question and move on. The whole point of your criticism is that there shouldn't be useless threads like this one crowding the first page. I feel that the most effective strategy to achieve that is to just answer the OP's question and ignore the thread until it dies (which probably means that i should stop posting in this thread so that we can let it go down).