UMich, UPenn, CWRU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocobo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know anything about UMich, UPenn, or CWRU? Good things, bad things, I would be interested in hearing them all. Research/clinical oriented? Classes with med students? Reputation? Grads going on to specialty? Etc etc. If any of you want some info on BU, I might be able to provide you with some (I went to their interview).
thx!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I am going to BU for interview. How you think anout it, just like you said, good thing or bad thing? Thanks for the input

Emily

The definite negative is the high cost. The financial lady will explain to you all about financing the cost, but BU is extremely expensive. Tuition, living expenses, etc (everything) totals to about $60k a year.
Campus is located in downtown, not the safest place in the world. Winters are really cold and snowy. The dental school building is not new, but I felt it was ok. Operatories seemed old. Only 4 weeks of break per year. Housing is tight around the area.

The positive is their APEX program. Very impressive stuff. It's this program that places you in already established practices so that you get exposure (early on) to real dentistry. They have a new simulation lab
that just opened this fall (very nice!), and they are increasing the number of operatories dramatically. They have good student support
services, if you are struggling. Seems like there are lots of research opportunities, if you want to get involved in those things. Huge patient base (u don't have to go looking for patients - school gets them all for you). If your patient ends up not paying you the fee, the school will still give you credit for the work you did (some schools make you pay).

They have some joint classes with med students, but seemed minimal. I'm not sure of the reputation.

Interview is laid back, so not to worry.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to undergrad at CWRU, and yes, I didn't go to, or show any interest for the dental school. However, I did have several classes in the medical school building, and intermingled with the dentistry students somewhat. I would say that as with everything CWRU does, the dental school is top notch. At CWRU there are 4 libraries located within 3 blocks of each other (health sciences, medical, law, and HUGE Kelvin-Smith). The dental school is on the edge of Little Italy which is very unique, you know brick streets, little shops, and excellent food. Everything at CWRU is cutting edge. Their internet was fiber optic megaband technology three years ago went I went, I shutter at what it is now. The University Hospital they're affiliated with is by far one of the premiere hospitals in Ohio, and the Cleveland Clinic is also a few streets over which is famous worldwide. As for the social life, CWRU undergrads complain. What I heard was that for Professional students it had one of the most social atmospheres of any school. Cleveland has lots to do, with the flats, theatre district, Gund Arena for basketball hockey and concerts, Jacobs field, the rock-n-roll hall of fame (which sucks), and tons of shopping. I don't know, I just had a few spare moments, so I'm letting you know. I graduated in '99 as an undergrad, now I'm in podiatry, hoping to switch to md. I'll just say this, if you can put up with a month of bad weather a year, then you would be very satisfied with CWRU, and its way more prestigious than Upenn and Mich.
wink.gif

CWRU "much more pretiguous" than UMich and UPenn??? That is an absolutely absurd comment. Mich and Penn are MUCH MORE pretigous than Case. Bottom line. Go to Penn if you don't mind Philly, Ann Arbor is nice and UMich is the best overall school.

Thx for the info on CWRU, want2banmd! (Especially since the dental boards are very inactive)

Hello,
I also have a sci gpa of around a 2.7 and overall gpa of 3.01. I received an 18/17 on my DAT and have applied to 15 schools, two which include UOP and Howard. I am a senior in undergrad college, and waiting to hear from the dental schools. I feel like it's out of my reach now, is there anything else I can
do...also, do you think I have a shot at all? My applications just got to the dental schools, so how long did you guys have to wait to get interviews? I haven't been asked to interview yet and I'm terribly worried.
Would it help to go visit the school myself? Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Seema