UMich v. Hopkins -- how to maximize my residency opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summervacation

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently deciding between attending either UMich and Hopkins for medical school. In terms of residency competitiveness, will my education out of Hopkins make me significantly more attractive to residency directors (assuming that my grades/Step1 scores/LOR's are comparable)? This is especially important to me because I would like to enter one of the more competitive specialties (particularly on the West coast) and would like to pursue a career in academic medicine.

The other major factor is financial. I would be paying only for living expenses at UMich, but I would pay some tuition (my EFC according to FAFSA is zero) for Hopkins plus living expenses.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you all have given your knowledge of how residency placements work.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats a tough one. Most people would probably say Hopkins would carry more weight and therefore base everything on it...especially if you want a career in academics.

but then again, even osteopathic medical students are competitive if they blow away the USMLE and are published.

Either one of those two options plus good rank and good board scores will put you in a very favorable position. I say congrats because many would wish to be in your shoes.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by summervacation

The other major factor is financial. I would be paying only for living expenses at UMich, but I would pay some tuition (my EFC according to FAFSA is zero) for Hopkins plus living expenses.

My 2-cent input. First, as S-fresh states, factors like board scores, clinical scores (3rd year) and research/publish history are arguably the three biggest factors for residency placement (plus connections). This being said, I don't think that there is any real or significant difference between the two programs for residency placement.

I don't think that you'd have any regrets going to UMich. If you can attend for free, I wouldn't hesitate to sign the papers.

Congratulations on what seems like two great choices. Hopkins and UMich are both great programs. At this point, I would encourage you to go where you think you would do best socially, personally, and academically. By getting into each of this you will surely do fine in medical school . Don't worry about what will look best for residency. I go to a top tier public school and none of my classmates who did well are hurting for any interviews. We have an excellent match and our top 40% usually go wherever they'd like. If you do well, it doesn't matter where you go. Have fun, learn alot, and try to get out without being too much in debt. I have never for one second regretted going the public school rout.

MS 4

Go to Hopkins.

if you really want to get into a competitive field, the name matters.

Let's say an applicant from both schools with the same scores applys for the same spot....who's going to get it? The name matters!!

Will going to Hopkins make you a better doctor? No, but that's not what you're asking, because if that's the case then go where ever you can, because becoming a good doctor has nothing to do with what medical school you went to.

Yup, I agree, Hopkins does have the better academic rep. Remember that your school won't get you into a competetive residency like derm (hopkins had a few unmatched students last year in derm) or neurosurgery though, it will ultimately depend on how well you do at the school. And Mich has an excellent rep as well, so if there is a significant difference between the financial aid packages, or if you'd just rather live one place vs the other, I'd be comfortable going to either.

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but truthfully this is a silly question. You maximize your chances of succeeding in life by actually doing well, studying, furthering your knowledge, etc. The name on the diploma is really not that important to anyone except you and perhaps those who are rankings obsessed. Any good academic program chairman looks past the school you attended (or at least considers it as a lesser factor). WHen looking for a job after residency, the location you do your residency completely trumps where you went to school, aside perhaps for providing conversation fodder during interviews, and possible connections with people. If you have certain individuals in mind that you think you can do projects with during med school, it might also be advantageous to go there. But truthfully, clinical training is pretty good at most US med schools, and a lot of this comes from what kind of student you are and how you pursue it. You can get poor clinical training at even the "best" med school if you are unmotivated and just looking to get your degree. You can get wonderful clinical training at "bad" med schools if you apply yourself and act as a good advocate for yourself.

Someone commented that, if two applicants with the same scores apply, the person from the "better" school will get it. Not true. The person who interviews better will get it, or perhaps other factors in the application will be important.

I also second the person who went to the state school and is getting lots of love from residency programs, as I also am.

That being said, if your ultimate goal is to train and practice at a certain location, you do have an advantage coming from that institution's med school. Hopkins in particular is notorious for hiring out of their own residency programs - this is part of the reason that the programs are so well known and difficult to attain.

I know it's tough to turn down a place with a high name recognition, because of the perceived benefits a name like this can carry. But honestly, go where you will be happy. Paying less tuition is a HUGE benefit to med school, ask anyone who has loans.

The people are saying it doesn't matter are basically right. We're talking about a very well-respected institution versus an ultra well-respected institution. Here in the midwest, where everyone is very well acquainted with how great UMich is, it is probably an honest-to-goodness toss-up. On the east coast, Hopkins probably has the advantage. Who knows about the west coast. Basically, there is no wrong choice here that would hurt your future career.

If it were up to me, I would go to UMich and say "show me the money!" (and this is coming from a Buckeye!)

bpkurtz

There's no question that Hopkins' name may more easily open a few doors to you that UMich may not, granted everything else is equal. This is an unfortunate truth. The differences are very small, but present. If other factors do not overweigh this small difference or if location doesn't matter to you, go to Hopkins without hesitation.