Umich vs. Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0Element0

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a choice to make, and I know its gotta come from within, but any wisdom from you guys?

For residency im interested in surgery, probably neuro, any school have a slight edge?

Also, interested in md/jd options, how easy is it to pursue at each respective school as this could weigh in, thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how easy it is to get the joint MD/JD at Pritzker/UChicago, but they did boast on several occasions the ease with which Pritzker students can take classes in other parts of the University when I was on my interview.

FWIW, U of C law school is top 5 in the country, last time I checked...don't know if this makes it easier or hard for med students to get in, though I'd imagine that it is the latter.

I interviewed at both. It's really a tossup of lifestyle and other choices.

If you need a city, go to Chicago. If you loved undergrad and being around young people all the time, go to Michigan. Personally, I liked Michigan a little more. I thought it was more organized, how they run interviews impress me. The students were the happiest I've ever seen.

Pritzker students seemed happy they were in the school, but they didn't seem like their quality of life was so good. I think it's also different to be around U Chicago, which is a pretty rigorous school vs. Michigan, which is more of your typical undergrad. Pritzker students just seemed more stressed and don't do as well on the Step 1's.

Both hospital systems are similar caliber. Both are P/F. Both have big names in medicine.

Which school you choose wouldn't change your chances on being a surgeon or not.

Also, not many people want to be neurosurgeon lawyer docs. The path just doesn't make any sense. Sounds like you're in it for prestige. Why not get a MD/PhD/JD while you're at it?