UMich Warning - Pick Your Interviewers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this e-mail from UMich MSTP program today.

"since we haven't received your list of faculty whose research is interesting to you, should we assume that you no longer are interested in interviewing at the University of Michigan? We want to make the visit as productive as possible; that means coordinating your schedule with the faculty members'. Please let us know as soon as you can."

The first sentence of that e-mail sound pretty ominous. My interview there is over 3 weeks away! A polite reminder would have sufficed, but I sent my list earlier and I'm sure evertyhing will be cool. If anyone else is interviewing at UMich, you probably want to send them a list of faculty before you get this. That might go for some other schools too.

Members don't see this ad.

their interview acceptance letter said pick 6-8 faculty. The MSTP webpage there is a pretty thorough run through on faculty research. They have some cool people there.

Now they're asking me for a photo and a "technical standards form" before I come to the interview. I don't remember even being asked for them? I don't know what the technical standards form is? In fact, on my MD/PhD invitation letter, it just says to bring a photo, but now the MD office says "we need your photo before you come into interview". Just bringing one with me to give to them is not acceptable.

Did anyone get something from the MD office asking for these things? Somebody here is really disorganized, and I don't think it's me.

yah i did. sent in the technical form but ignored the photo things till i got there. i wouldn't recommend ignoring what they ask for ... though they were ok with it