UMichigan filled out interview slots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paco

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been scheduled for an interview at UMichigan recently? Did you get stuck with a March slot?

Members don't see this ad.

March 4. The letter gave me two dates in Feb as well, but when I called (almost immediately after recieving the letter), those were gone.

Does this mean I'm wasting my money if I haven't submitted my UMICH secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think that there are less than two months of spots left. If you submit you will be after all the aug mcaters being reviewed who submitted before results came out. I have had mine submittted since late september and now I am hold. The secondary is easy, so if you got money to burn and time left in the week, you may as wells submit and see. You never know.

GOBUCKY!

i have a march slot as well. i had the same experience- called right away when i got home and got the mail and the feb slots were gone. i think that those kids must have either checked their status page or lived close by because i jumped right on the phone. so.... do you think that all march interviews will be at best waitlisted since they are rolling and have filled all of their positions by then?????????????

mumpers said:
i have a march slot as well. i had the same experience- called right away when i got home and got the mail and the feb slots were gone. i think that those kids must have either checked their status page or lived close by because i jumped right on the phone. so.... do you think that all march interviews will be at best waitlisted since they are rolling and have filled all of their positions by then?????????????
that sucks. so basically if you're an august mcater, you got no chance of getting a regular acceptance?

oh geez...i checked my status page and it hasn't been updated since 9/27. I'm going to take this as a bad sign, especially with slots filled up to March already. BLEH! This process sucks!

When I interviewed at umich, they said that students they liked would be accepted no matter when they interviewed, so I don't think that a late interview means you won't be accepted (or simply waitlisted by default)

DrYo12 said:
oh geez...i checked my status page and it hasn't been updated since 9/27. I'm going to take this as a bad sign, especially with slots filled up to March already. BLEH! This process sucks!

I've been on hold since 9/2. UCLAStudent has been on hold even longer.

I can feel my chances slipping through my fingers.

They wait for folks to cancel interviews before filling out their roster more fully.

So you can expect to hear from them after a significant number of people get acceptances and drop later interview dates.

oh...you mean once they get rejected by the people they want more than us. great. i'm trying to stay positive, but there's something about the rejections starting to roll in that makes the rose coloured lenses not so rosy

Sounds like you understand what's going on. Michigan considers itself the best public shool. Maybe correctly. They want absolute top-tier applicants.

Of course, absolute top-tier applicants are also more likely to get accepted at the best private schools. So they get to choose between, say, Hopkins, Wash U and Michigan. The student will only matriculate to one of the three.

That leaves them with some spots for the (almost) absolute top-tier applicants. Rinse, repeat.

DrThom said:
I've been on hold since 9/2. UCLAStudent has been on hold even longer.

I can feel my chances slipping through my fingers.

Yep, since 8/4. And the sad thing is that I still check my status page nearly every day. I am so pathetic. :p

UCLAstudent said:
Yep, since 8/4. And the sad thing is that I still check my status page nearly every day. I am so pathetic. :p

Same here, too. I am even more pathetic considering my sup went in around 7/30 and they haven't even requested LORs from me since then. Something to pass time, I guess. :laugh:

Dr. Chiquita said:
Same here, too. I am even more pathetic considering my sup went in around 7/30 and they haven't even requested LORs from me since then. Something to pass time, I guess. :laugh:

maybe you should contact them and ask if they want lors or a picture or whatever else you still need to have a complete file. 7/30 seems like it was a long, long time ago. you shoudl hear something from them by now.

UseUrHeadFred said:
They wait for folks to cancel interviews before filling out their roster more fully.QUOTE]

I am cancelling my november interview at UM.

hehehe I believe I currently hold the record for no status change since 7/23...and the kicker? I am a michigan resident, with early interviews at other places including my top choice (Duke)...

any one else feel like this auto-interview period based on stats isn't really the most effective and efficient way of procuring a well balanced and diverse class?

sorry, i am a bit disgruntled... +pissed+

LauraMac said:
maybe you should contact them and ask if they want lors or a picture or whatever else you still need to have a complete file. 7/30 seems like it was a long, long time ago. you shoudl hear something from them by now.

Yeah, I should probably do that. I guess I am not looking forward to the inevitable rejection. But it's time to close the door on my hopeless daydreaming.