UMichigan interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SketchLazy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the University of Michigan offer interviews to everyone? I just got verified yesterday and I haven't even submitted my secondary yet. I logged on to their secondary application page and it says that they are offering me an interview. I'm psyched but I live in California and don't want to burn much needed money unless I know that this isn't an automatic invitation. Anyone experience the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes UMich offers automatic interviews, but certainly not to everyone, only people from certain schools with certain score cutoffs.

It's an auto interview. But that's a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it an auto interview only for people from certain schools w/ particular cutoff scores, or can a person from any school with those scores get it?

Is it an auto interview only for people from certain schools w/ particular cutoff scores, or can a person from any school with those scores get it?

As I said in my earlier post, it's for people from certain schools that meet the cutoff scores.

Only certain schools. In my opinion, they're fairly liberal with the schools (maybe any school in the US News Top 50 or so). However, the kids who were at my interview day were almost all from Ivy Leagues, Berkeley, WashU, or Hopkins or a top LAC.

I dunno about the certain school thing, I know a couple kids from my "no name" university who have gotten auto invites at UMich. They are in-state though, that might come into play.

Who else is tired of this passive-aggressive bragging?

Michigan's director of admissions said in an interview transcript posted on SDN that the school plays a role in getting an auto-invite. Do a search and you can find it.

ok. that was just dumb and immature of me...my apologies

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, then I guess other Michigan schools might be on the list for auto-invite. Not that I would eeeeever get an auto-invite, or a regular invite from Michigan for that matter.

I'm not too sure how extensive the list is, but I know a lot of people didn't get auto-invites with grades that surpassed the cutoff. I wouldn't have gotten one anyway, since my GPA is too low for out of state invites I think.

I'm not too sure how extensive the list is, but I know a lot of people didn't get auto-invites with grades that surpassed the cutoff. I wouldn't have gotten one anyway, since my GPA is too low for out of state invites I think.

Jesus! What the hell is the cutoff?

Michigan likes UC undergrads. You have a very good chance there.

Seriously, what's the difference between your GPA and mine?

I was complete 9/11 (bad omen?) and no auto invite. 3.91/37 from top 5 LAC. I thought that UMich ran out of auto invite spots, but in the end it seems like it's just lack of respect for small schools ;)

congrats to OP for not having to go through the annoying wait.

Jesus! What the hell is the cutoff?

From one year's transcript

54321 (Jun 13, 2007 7:09:37 PM)
Will there be automatic interview invites again this year and what are the cutoffs for in-state and out of state?

RobertRuizMichigan (Jun 13, 2007 7:11:04 PM)
54321-yes, Not sure on the numbers-so don't quote me as they are going up since our applicant pool was up 20% last year and we anticipate another 20% jump this year. ...so I'm thinking 3.8/ 38 for non-residents and 3.75/36 for Michigan Residents. While the auto interview is nice it only applies to about 15% of all our interview offers

Michigan likes UC undergrads. You have a very good chance there.

*crosses fingers*

Seriously, what's the difference between your GPA and mine?

Not too sure what their criteria for the auto-invite is. It may be a 3.80 overall and a 36+ MCAT, but you need both.

I was complete 9/11 (bad omen?) and no auto invite. 3.91/37 from top 5 LAC. I thought that UMich ran out of auto invite spots, but in the end it seems like it's just lack of respect for small schools ;)

congrats to OP for not having to go through the annoying wait.

Thanks! Good luck to you.

From one year's transcript

54321 (Jun 13, 2007 7:09:37 PM)
Will there be automatic interview invites again this year and what are the cutoffs for in-state and out of state?

RobertRuizMichigan (Jun 13, 2007 7:11:04 PM)
54321-yes, Not sure on the numbers-so don't quote me as they are going up since our applicant pool was up 20% last year and we anticipate another 20% jump this year. ...so I'm thinking 3.8/ 38 for non-residents and 3.75/36 for Michigan Residents. While the auto interview is nice it only applies to about 15% of all our interview offers

*crosses fingers*

Hey, maybe I still have a shot at an interview :laugh:

In this application cycle, his quote of 15% seems inaccurate, since over 50% of the interviews have already been granted.

Oh, then I guess other Michigan schools might be on the list for auto-invite. Not that I would eeeeever get an auto-invite, or a regular invite from Michigan for that matter.

WTF are you talking about?

He has 302 posts, he KNOWS about the auto interview, everyone knows, know reason for a post like this again, except to say, hello world, I got a michigan interview.

He has 302 posts, he KNOWS about the auto interview, everyone knows, know reason for a post like this again, except to say, hello world, I got a michigan interview.

Obviously, I didn't know. That's why I asked. What the hell would post count have to do with me knowing about that? Jack .hit. But thanks to the helpful ones out there, I am not so worried about blowing ~$500 to get there now. That's like at least 5 secondaries that I can fill out at schools I might have a better chance at. That's why I wanted to know if it was automatic. If someone is looking over your application and offers you an interview, there would be no surprises like there would be if you just got the interview automatically.