UMKC (University of Missour-Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patelakshar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...I was just wondering if any of you guys have gone to, are going to, or want to go to the University of Missour-Kansas City's 6-year Med Program.

Do any of you guys know any of the programs statistics? Acceptance %, etc....?
Interview Questions?

What is the athmosphere like?

If you are in the program: What tips do you have for me in High School to do to help get into UMKC?

OVERALL: GOOD | BAD ?

thanks,

~Aki

Members don't see this ad.

My roommate's ex-boyfriend is in his 5th year there. He's pretty happy with it, I think. I don't really know much more about it.

I think the atmosphere is a bit stressful, considering there's a lot more class than normal colleges.

The only advice I could give to get in would be the same stuff you'd do to get into a good college. Get good ACT/SAT scores, get good grades (stay near the top of your class). Participate in extracurricular activities. If you could do some sort of shadowing, or go to a summer medical program that would probably help, too. You need someway to show that you are committed to medicine and taking a hard path to being a doctor.

the basic stuff you must have:

"High school students wishing to enter this program should recognize that many other well-qualified high school students with strong science backgrounds also will be applying.

A student admitted to the combined program at UMKC is expected to meet the following admission requirements (one unit equals one year in class):

four units of English;
four units of mathematics;
three units of science, including one unit of biology and one unit of chemistry;
three units of social studies;
one unit of fine arts;
two units of foreign language.
In addition, one-half unit of computer science is highly recommended. Students whose high school does not offer biology, chemistry, foreign language or computer science are encouraged to contact the Council on Selection at the School of Medicine. "

Go to http://www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medsurveyresults.cfm
and select UMKC. There's some rankings and a few comments from students.