Umkc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFaiyaz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone in hear applying to University of Missouri Kansas City medical school's MD only program. I am and I have an interview there next thursday. It kind of a ****ty school, but I guess a US med school is a US med school. Does any one know of it's reputation?

Members don't see this ad.

Even around the KC area, it is considered a bad school. Remember too that you will be going year round and actually go for 4.5 years instead of 4. They just lump you in with the 19 year old "kids" as if you don't even have a degree. That said, US is better than not US.

iatrosB said:
Even around the KC area, it is considered a bad school. Remember too that you will be going year round and actually go for 4.5 years instead of 4. They just lump you in with the 19 year old "kids" as if you don't even have a degree. That said, US is better than not US.

You're right. I'm from KC and I won't even be applying there...unless it comes to that. BUT - it DOES put out some damn good doctors. There is a surgeon at Research Medical Center in KC that is nationally recognized for helping pioneer AAA stent repairs. And he's a UMKC grad. From what I understand, the biggest problem with it is burnout. So if you really think you can handle going year round then go ahead - but otherwise, try someplace else.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard a few years ago from a very reliable source within the UM system that they were thinking about shutting the school down because students did so poorly on their boards.

take it for what it's worth...i'm sure the school does produce some good doctors, but from talking to their students and seeing how well they do in general, it seems like a shady program to me.

definitely not a very respected program.

sorry if i sound harsh here..

tanx for the incite guys....i really don't look that highly at this school as well either......and the fact it starts in january sux as well....

DrFaiyaz said:
tanx for the incite guys....i really don't look that highly at this school as well either......and the fact it starts in january sux as well....

well, considering the fact that i know u personally, i think it'd b in ur best interest to stay in the US as opposed 2 goin off-shore...(not that their is nething wrong w/ off-shore MD's) but u have so much here that u'll throw away if u end up goin 4 2yrs...and then their's ur hot girlfriend, i can keep her company 4 u :laugh:

newayz
HOLLA