1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Umm....are these things I'm hearing for real?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Luminox, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Luminox

Luminox Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys and girls,
    i too received my scores today. I made a 35R - 9VR, 14PS and 12BS (R on the writing). Now what's the deal with all this "verbal is most important"? I'm not gonna make any excuses for the score - that's what I got - but is this going to be a large point of contention in the admissions game?

thanks and take care!

lumi

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't worry about your scores. Good luck in med school.

4. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Luminox,

those look like dang nice scores to me. Verbal schmerbal, you kicked butt. Good luck in med school

5. MRF1366

MRF1366 Been Here Long Time
    10+ Year Member

Unfortunately, that 9 may keep you out of the top programs. But you should get plenty of interviews qith a 35 no matter what.

Yes the Verbal is the most important. There have been studies linking verbal success to USMLE and med school success. Schools know that. I'd give you the links, but I lost them. Maybe others have them???

6. spacecadet22

spacecadet22 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

give me a break...a 9 will NOT keep you out of the top 10. You did excellent and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. my question would be does your GPA match your great scores?

7. Luminox

Luminox Member
    7+ Year Member

What's up chief? My gpa is decent also - 3.83 ivy with double major. The more i read this, the more i feel myself sound like Joe Anal Premed, but that isn't the case (like you can trust the internet, but still...). I do have a lot of volunteer experience, and my real thrill aside from this stuff is tutoring kids, which i've put 1000s of hours into. hope that helps. And as to the top 5 or 10, that's fine - i'm not interested in H or JHU or anything.

take care!

lumi

8. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should be fine with those scores -- I wouldn't sweat it. Yes, it would be *ideal* if you had a 10+ on VR, but assuming the rest of your application is in good shape, you should be fine. I am guessing that the only way your verbal score could hurt you would be if everything else was equal between you and another applicant, and they had a higher VR, they might have the edge. But somehow I think the odds of that are pretty small. Be happy with your score, apply, and good luck.