Umm what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Is the group being accused of academic dishonesty or just the one guy? By whom? On what grounds? Did all the information belong to the group, or was some of it someone else's? Who had access to this "shared" drive? How long was the information up? Do you have any indication that anyone looked at this information before you removed it? Was this "publishable" work just a bunch of ideas, or was there actual data/experiments?

Your post makes very little sense. From what I gather, it's some sort of graded group project done by students. If that's the case, I doubt anyone but the group cares very much about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ultimately it's up to you school to decide what is an isn't academic dishonesty. They have tremendous latitude here. No one here can advise you on your schools policies.

What you need to do is find someone who CAN advise you. Does your school have someone that you can consult with anonamously? Someone who isnt obligated to report back to the school? If yes, go to him/her. If not, start reading your schools policies.

The priority here is obviously to make sure you don't jepordize you medical career for something as stupid as volunteer work for a research group.

Your post makes very little sense. From what I gather, it's some sort of graded group project done by students. If that's the case, I doubt anyone but the group cares very much about it.

It could also be that they're being graded for doing the scutwork for a much larger project, and then did something like cause a HIPPA violation by leaking data about a bunch of patients. In that case it could be serious.

Last edited:

Last edited:
In that case, I don't think academic dishonesty applies here. There's no academic principle against sharing your work with anyone you like, as long as you're not sharing personally identifiable information on people. Dumb thing to do, but there's no reason to punish someone who, after all, did more harm to themselves than to anyone else.

It's easy to avoid this (and many other research-related) issue(s) by encrypting. Behold, an awesome application for just that purpose:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

If you're worried about holding people responsible for accidental (or purposeful) disclosure, try digitally signing everyone's copy of the work.