UMMC vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anatrat2100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

As you can see from the title, trying to make a decision between attending UMMC and Tulane for med school. 2nd I've applied to both schools, got waitlisted at UMMC last year and didn't make the cut at Tulane. But really lucky enough to get into both this year. However, now I've reached an impasse. Although UMMC is my home school and would offer substantially reduced tuition, I don't know how the actual schooling compares to Tulane, a school with an amazing reputation, so high in fact that thousands apply here every year. I just don't know if the price tag is worth an M.D. from there (90K per year, and sure to go up in 4 years). Price isn't the only factor, but it is a huge one. And I know the ultimate decision will be my own, but I want it to be a well-thought and informed one (which is why I'm posting here). Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would always go cheaper over anything. Tulane is a great school. However, a state school with state tuition is nothing to pass up.

Congratulations on being a future doctor. Good luck on your travels.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in this same situation. I LOVED Tulane, and I LOVED New Orleans. But at the end of the day, neither school will hold you back. I just couldn't justify the extra 30k/year compared to my IS option. I picked the cheaper school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)