UNA Caribbean Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi.. im new on here and googled onto this forum..

do you guys really think this is a scam? because i get a letter from una in the mail like 2 wks ago telling me i've been accepted.... i've been excited but now i'm kinda scared....???? hmmm... xavier university has a campus in bonaire: http://www.xusombonaire.net/accreditations.html but it doesnt say anywhere that they are in 'partnership' with una...

is anyone else planning to go down there for pharmacy school? please let me know so we can talk!

nadia

You might get kidnapped if you go over there. Funny thing is it could actually happen. lol

Honestly, I have no idea if it is a real school. But when it comes down to it, is there anybody in the U.S. that can confirm the existence of this Pharmacy school????? There is no contact information about the St. Xavier University that they are referring too. Why wouldn't they put up any Xavier contact information? The only University i could find that comes close to St. Xavier University is, "SAINT" Xavier University and they claim no relation.

My advice, find someone who can confirm the existance of this school. If you can't then do not go over there. You will probably lose tuition money, get mugged, or even kidnapped for ransom. Seriously.

Because you probably gave them your Social Security Number and other valuable information then you should contact some law enforcement agency for a formal investigation in case of identity theft. Again, im not saying this school is 100 percent fake but I am saying is for you to find some institution to confirm UNA's existence.

If you find something, please share.:D

Members don't see this ad.

ok so i called xavier univ. today (the one that has a campus on bonaire) and they confirmed that this is a real school!!!!!!!!! yaaaaay!!!!!! thank the frreakin lord cuz i need to go to ****ing pharmacy school like NOW, im 24 and im getting older by the minute!!! so anyway, its real,,,,supposedly. this lady diana at xavier told me so- i called their like 1866 or 1877 number, i dont remember.. . anyway so yeah what do u guys thnk?/ /

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so i called xavier univ. today (the one that has a campus on bonaire) and they confirmed that this is a real school!!!!!!!!! yaaaaay!!!!!! thank the frreakin lord cuz i need to go to ****ing pharmacy school like NOW, im 24 and im getting older by the minute!!! so anyway, its real,,,,supposedly. this lady diana at xavier told me so- i called their like 1866 or 1877 number, i dont remember.. . anyway so yeah what do u guys thnk?/ /

I think the above posters are correct, avoid this place like the plague. I am 32 and I wouldn't go there if they paid me. Where will you be in 5 years if this thing doesn't work out? What it really comes down to isn't what the collective 'we' of SDN think. What matters is what the collective medical community thinks. I worked for JnJ for 3 years and called on a variety of doctors and pharmacists. The docs from the caribean schools were clowns...period. I wouldn't send a terrorist to one of them to get medical care. If you want to get some vague MBA or a degree in "Situational Leadership" or someother useless junk, go anywhere. I think if you are going to be responsible for providing pharmaceutical patient care in America then at a minimum you should go to an American accredited Pharmacy program. If you want to live your whole life in Grenada or wherever this place is then have at it. Just my two cents...probably only worth a penny.

Wow. Sounds like good news. But why does Xavier of Bonaire have a website address ending in .net and not .edu?

I just wanted to tell you guys to becarefull about going to the una, as I road their web, they even dont have a campus yet!!

yeah they're "campus" pics are the EXACT same, i noticed that too. OH and the address that UNA gives on their site- for their office- is someone's HOUSE (I THINK) in Oakbrook, IL - my fiance's uncle lives down the street from this address!he's going up there to illinois next wk so i told him to go drop by that dudes place and see what the hell is going on- if its an office or a house!

my sister went to dominican republic for med school (Unibe) and she said it was sketch like this as well- like they had a random 800/866 number to call and a wierd address for their home office and stuff. but she's finishing up her 3rd yr. of residency in a normal place in north carolina and stuff.. she just had more exams to take- like that usmle exam and what not.

im thinkin of goin down there mid october to check this place out cuz im not going down there in december with intentions to moving there if i dont know for sure that this is real! anyone else wanna come? i dont wanna be only the damn student there! :scared:

I also got an acceptance letter from UNA-St. Xavier University last month.
I returned the letter checking off that I would like to start May 2007.

In the meanwhile, I'm applying to USA schools, but if I don't get accepted to any of those, then I have no choice but to attend UNA @ Bonaire.

Thanks for the updated info. If I get any info, I'll be posting it up there as well~

Call me callous, but I have little sympathy for anyone who wastes their time and money on a school like this. Caveat Emptor.

Nigerian Scammer:thumbdown: :confused:
Eventhough you make a great point, and you did do your research. I really don't think there's a need for stereotypical remarks. Especially when raj kapoor is not a nigerian name. Please lets act professional as we are or trying to get into a professional program.

One day people on this site will be begging UNA/ St. Xavier for acceptance into their school.

Members don't see this ad :)

I started an UNA/ St. Xavier Optimism site. You should go to it.

We don't want any stragglers that will eventually be begging for their acceptance.

I have no doubt there are schools out there that cater to people wanting to be a pharmacist in America. They are normally American schools though. International students can attend American universities. However, typically its because the student attended a university in their home country to a pharmacist in that home country first... Why would you attend UNA (if its even legit?) If your American - why go a route making you take an extra board exam (one that is more difficult than the NAPLEX). If your not American - why not attend a Pharmacy program geared toward accrediting you for a home country? Like England, or France, or any modern country. This has "BAD" idea written all over it.

If you want to get scammed - pick a better one, like miss cleo... leave this one for someone else.

~above~

Oh - I thought this was kind of interesting too...

Only postsecondary institutions that are institutionally accredited by an agency on the U.S. Department of Education's list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies (see recognized accrediting bodies) may obtain an Internet name in the .edu domain. These include both "Regional Institutional Accrediting Agencies" and "National Institutional and Specialized Accrediting Bodies" recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Note that institutional accreditation is required for .edu eligibility; program accreditation is not sufficient. Not all agencies accredit institutions. Some accredit only institutions, some accredit only programs, and others accredit both institutions and programs.

It is also important to note that, while every effort is made to keep the EDUCAUSE list up-to-date, the U.S. Department of Education's list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies and State Agencies are the only official comprehensive lists of agencies.

It may be the University of North America - but the biggest country occupying North America does not recognize this school as being an eductational institution. Kind of scary

~above~

Guys! Tired of the pessimism about this as-of-yet non-existant "pharmacy school"?

This this is the thread for you! Don't worry, be happy, money grows on trees, yippee!

ha ha, on the website it says "Join Now!"
anybody else find that funny. you'd think a pharmacy school would have something more along the lines of "Apply Here".

Scam written all over it.

Well, IMO I got reeled in by their flyers in the mail. So I made a call to their office in Illinois, and all I got was an answering machine. So okay, I left my phone number for them to call me back, and I get this lady on the phone, and it sounds like she's calling from home (how unprofessional) because I hear her dog barking in the background, and tells me how great the president of UNA is. I almost got pulled in, until I started researching about how there are "schools" out there to just take your money, making you believe that the school actually exists. I don't know, but that school seems awfully fake to me. If you even check out the resumes of their professors, by trying to google each of the professors names, you get these unorganized resumes that look like some kid put them together. I never managed to call the numbers. But after that, I felt like UNA didn't exist. I feel like I have better luck going to Canada or somewhere more reliabe than that "new school".

For those who are really sincere in going to this university, and would like to see it thrive I suggest that we work together in some form of matter. If not to help support the school. Then to reveal the scam (if a scam) so that we can prevent people from being harmed. Here is some phone numbers, that you can call and question its validity. I am going to call and ask several questions and get back with some answers.

Dr. Subramani-President of UNA College of Pharmacy (573) 270-0825
Xavier University (admissions office) 1-888-928-4378
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (312) 664-3575
Web: http://[email protected]/
National Assoc. Boards of Pharmacy (847) 391-4406
Web: http://www.nabp.net

Some Questions:
Is there an enrollment cap that needs to be met before classes can start?
Is the university part of Venezuela?
How is the financial Aid going to be set up?

--I'll probably come up with more questions before I call, but I think it would be better if some questions that we ask are the same, to see if we get the same answers. Don't be scared, it's your future.

Ok this is what I found out.
---They do not accreditation with the US, but since they are a five-year university they can take the FPGEE and then the NAPLEX. I am not sure on the difficult of both of the exams.
---There is an enrollmenent minimum of 50 students a year and Dr. Subramani told me that there is already about 20 students planning to go for the January semester, and assured me that more will be going to in the following semesters. Even if the minimum is not met, classes can still be held, since they are in joint cooperation with Xavier University.
--- I emailed Xavier University and they told me that they are finishing up on the paperwork for the whole shibang to become effective (Of course that wasn't their exact words). Also Dr. Subramani told me that he will be able to provide us with a chance to view the paperwork, or contract (not sure what its called) but he told me that he will have proof, that UNA is a school-
--- My opinion. If it is a scam, and we go to school for the five years or not at all it is going to be tied to Xavier University, and if it goes sour (Which I am sure the Bonair Government wouldn't allow) the future of Xavier University would be effected as well, which I am sure is great for making the island extra money. Nobody is going to want scam attatched to their bussiness or country. Though I might be wrong. Either way it is going to be a gamble, but what in life isn't. Has anybody recieved more information, other than what I have found?
--Wierd thing, does anybody know why on the UNA website does it say St. Xavier University when it is actually just Xavier University?

Seriously, I find it that all the people who are for this school, all have post counts less than 10 and have recently joined this forum.

People have been on this message board for years and have spent their whole undergrad doing research on new schools. It's just funny that no one else knew of this school except the new members who are so pro-UNA.

Whatever, I am so done with this thread. Why did I even bother to respond?

---They do not accreditation with the US, but since they are a five-year university they can take the FPGEE and then the NAPLEX. I am not sure on the difficult of both of the exams.
---There is an enrollmenent minimum of 50 students a year and Dr. Subramani told me that there is already about 20 students planning to go for the January semester, and assured me that more will be going to in the following semesters. Even if the minimum is not met, classes can still be held, since they are in joint cooperation with Xavier University.
--- I emailed Xavier University and they told me that they are finishing up on the paperwork for the whole shibang to become effective (Of course that wasn't their exact words). Also Dr. Subramani told me that he will be able to provide us with a chance to view the paperwork, or contract (not sure what its called) but he told me that he will have proof, that UNA is a school-
--- My opinion. If it is a scam, and we go to school for the five years or not at all it is going to be tied to Xavier University, and if it goes sour (Which I am sure the Bonair Government wouldn't allow) the future of Xavier University would be effected as well, which I am sure is great for making the island extra money. Nobody is going to want scam attatched to their bussiness or country. Though I might be wrong. Either way it is going to be a gamble, but what in life isn't. Has anybody recieved more information, other than what I have found?
--Wierd thing, does anybody know why on the UNA website does it say St. Xavier University when it is actually just Xavier University?

Thanks RajKapoor (you do realize that you are not fooling anybody, right?), we'll all take this great info into account while we apply to real, accredited schools. Try some late night info-mercials, you may have better luck.

OMG thanks so much, Raj!

I just sent in my full tuition for all five years, the whole shibang! :thumbup:

what the hell happened to this school? its all bullsh*t!!! !!!!!!!!!

i gave up on that ish... md for me .. but just curious tho..... anyone know?

pls, l m very interested...........pls do u have any update

Nadia ,pls can u get back with me...........l m really interested in pharmacy school. l dont know lf u already left for the progam