Una pregunta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Martha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for any ideas anyone can give, I'm racking my brain trying to get from a UPitt interview on a Tueday (done by 6??) to Duke the next morning, by 10:15 am. I've never been to either of these areas and will not have my own transportation. Amtrak, flights, anyone in these areas have any advice?

Your ideas are very much appreciated!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

def. via air down to NC
find a hotel close to duke that night
hit up a taxi in the morning

I think that your best bet would definitely be flying. I've been trying to look up options myself as I have an interview at UPitt in December. Amtrak is a poor option, as you wouldn't make it on time (there's no direct train between the two places). There are direct flights from Pittsburgh to RDU via US Air, but it's a bit expensive. Air Tran is another option, connecting through Atlanta.

Karen

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not under any circumstances take the train between those two cities. I've done it twice. Sell your siblings if you have to pay for a flite instead. Do not take that train!!!

If you don't want to (or don't have the cash to) do the plane option rent a car from a national chain (Hertz or Enterprise or the like) and drive to Duke (called a one-way rental). It shouldn't be all that expensive (less than $100) and you don't have to worry about delays. Peace.

Airlines that might be good:

USAir--Pittsburgh is a hub, and you might be able to get a cheaper flight through Charlotte or Philly to RDU (if PIT to RDU is expensive)
AirTran as someone mentioned through ATL
Delta also through ATL

RDU to Duke is reasonably far, so you'd probably want to look into shuttles or a rental probably. Driving from Pittsburgh to Durham is an option, but it's rather far (about 7-8 hours if you're leadfooted, more if your not).