Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Unaccredited schools...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrewFromVA, Jul 26, 2002.

1. DrewFromVA

DrewFromVA Member

I am considering attending Bob Jones University in the fall, primarily because it would be entirely free for me. However, I am concerned because it is not an accredited school. As far as I have ever heard it has a fairly good academic reputation and track record. However I have heard it stated that it is almost impossible to get into med school from an unaccredited school. If anyone has any info about this, I would be very grateful for your help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

to be honest - when i think of bob jones university - i think of unapologetic racism, they didn't allow interracial dating and kept much of the class segregated until relateively recently (they may still have that interracial dating thing - but go to the source on that one). that is the only context i've heard of the university in --- and beacuse it is unaccredited i'm sure this doesn't help. i believe that your pre-reqs have to come from an accredited college - but it isn't necessary to even get a ba to get in. i'd strongly urge you to look elsewhere -- goodluck
    -jot

4. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

I agree with Jot on this one. There are plenty of other religious schools if you want to go that route. I would not go to one with such a big stigma. Like it or not, I am sure that the adcoms would be biased against you.

On a side note, I have a friend that went to a baptist university in Missouri, and he says that when he graduated, evolution was not discussed at all in his biology classes. All creationism! In spite of this, he got into medical school, though. I guess he didn't tell adcoms that part.

5. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

Definitely go somewhere else. I have yet to encounter a medical school that doesn't require a student's pre-med courses to be taken at an accredited college or university. It's really not worth it... take out some loans and go to a real school.

6. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member

I am really confused with all this - I have seen many posts where people said that they got into med school even after doing their pre-reqs in a CC. I am a non trad student, and I have a Masters in Engg from a 'regular' Univ. I am now doing my prereqs in a CC because its afordable and they have evening classes. Is this going to hurt my chances badly? As I mentioned on another thread, I e-mailed Stanford and UCSF a while back and they said that this wasn't a problem with them. Were they just trying to be 'politically correct'? Someone please help me, so I could plan ahead.

7. none

none 1K Member

A CC, assuming it is accredited, is VERY different than Bob Jones! In fact, they really couldn't be much more different and your situation thus has very little to do with the OP's, don't freak. And as far as the OP is concerned, if you would like to go to med school, do not go to Bob Jones. It really is as simple as that.

8. JMD

JMD Senior Member

Where and what the hell is Bob Jones University? Pardon my ignorance.

9. lola

lola Bovine Member

ha ha... i was thinking the same thing.

10. moo

moo 1K Member

It is a Christian university located in South Carolina. It made news in the 2000 presidential election because Bush decided to speak there. It is a controversial school, not only because of its religious zealousness but also because it has until recently enforced a strict no interracial dating policy. That has since changed but the school is unaccredited. In fact, they even JUSTIFY on their website why they feel that they don't need accreditation because they are a Christian institution.

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

didn't some politician (maybe one of the presidential candidates) get grilled by the media for visiting the campus?

12. Dr/\/\om

Dr/\/\om Senior Member

This is an extremely weak argument since there are Christian accrediting agencies!

13. steiner19er

steiner19er Senior Member

This tread caught my eye, so I checked out the Pre-med/dent website at BJU. Here it is for those who can't google.

http://www.bju.edu/admissions/pops/pops.asp?section=premed

If you scroll to the bottom of the page it says that they have gradautes attending medical school in at "least 30 different states", especially the 2 S.C. medical schools. If I were you I would get on the horn and call these 2 medical schools and ask them if this is the case. If they say that they love BJ's then you should take advantage of the free tuition, if they dislike BJ's, or won;t acept then you should go to a real college.

14. Dr/\/\om

Dr/\/\om Senior Member

:laugh:Wow! I guess you could do that to get into med school!:laugh: Gosh, BJ's for free tuition!:laugh:

15. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

16. riopsedm

riopsedm Member

if you really want to go to med school, going there would be a really bad idea. i remember being at an interview one day and while waiting in the admissions office, i overheard the secretary over the phone telling some poor applicant that they couldn't apply to the school because they went to bju and it was not accredited. i felt absolutely awful for the person on the other side of the line, cause the secretary was trying to explain and she was saying stuff like 'i'm sorry they didnt tell you when you went there, but rules are rules' (to paraphrase).

bottom line, if you're really interested in medicine, go somewhere else.

17. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

I thik that it is a requirements for most of the schools the your undergrad should be an accredited school.

18. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica

Attending Physician
    This school has PIECE OF CRAP written all over it. Don't go there. Don't take any chances and go to an accredited college.

19. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

What the relatioship between accreditation and Christianity. :laugh: Do not go there. What prevents them from getting accredited? You want be able to go to med school afterwards.