unanswered questions about HPSP/USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked out the other posts on this topic and couldn't find the answers to some of my questions so I'm just going to post them here:
1. I am currently a 1st LT in the army medical service corps in the IRR. If I accept the HPSP scholarship, can I simultaneously remain in the IRR while on scholarship?
2. Since I have already completed OBC, would I be able to conduct med research in a military facility the summer between MSI and MSII years, when everyone else will be in OBC? (I completed the 10-week OBC course last spring). both USUHS and HPSP
3. Will time spent as a student at USUHS be counted towards time in according to the pay scale. I currently have close to four years in (post-completing ROTC) and I was wondering if after med school it would still be considered 4 years or will it be 8?
4. In terms of rank, I have been a 1LT since May 2000. Since you are automatically made a captain
when you complete med school, will the time I spent as a 2nd and 1st LT be added to my time in rank so that I will make major before my classmates that have no prior service, or am I back to square 1?

Your help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I had several of the same questions since I am a Captain in the IRR.

1. If you accept a health professions scholarship or attend USUHS, you will be placed in different components of the reserves and will no longer be in the IRR.

2. When I asked about having to attend OBC, I was told that I would not since I had already successfully completed an OBC. However, I was also told that since I had served on active duty for five years that I would be given credit for commissioned time served and would not be required to "relearn" the info at OBC.

3. I don't think that time at USUHS counts towards the pay scale because it does not count towards retirement. However, if you do retire after 20 years, you will be given credit for 24 years, which increases the percentage of pay received as a retiree.

4. My understanding is that your date of rank for Captain will be adjusted one-half year for each year commissioned service completed. Thus, you should make Major prior to your classmates who do not have prior service.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, I'd be willing to give them a shot.

Barb,
When it comes to the Army's HPSP program I have no clue, however I am a prior service AF med student at USUHS so I'll tackle a couple of your questions.

"2. Since I have already completed OBC, would I be able to conduct med research in a military facility the summer between MSI and MSII years, when everyone else will be in OBC? (I completed the 10-week OBC course last spring). both USUHS and HPSP"

USUHS students do their OBC's prior to matriculation, the summer after the first year is spent doing military operational clerkships, or prior service can choose to do research if thats what you want to do.

"3. Will time spent as a student at USUHS be counted towards time in according to the pay scale. I currently have close to four years in (post-completing ROTC) and I was wondering if after med school it would still be considered 4 years or will it be 8?"

Time spent at USUHS does not count for pay purposes. If you come here with 4 years of prior service you leave here with 4 years. The 4 years aren't totally lost though, once you retire you do get credit for those 4 years...but you can't use them toward retirement. In other words you can't go to USU then 16 years later retire, you have to serve the full 20 years after USU to be eligible for retirement, but after you retire you will get credit for 24 years of service toward your retirement pay.

"4. In terms of rank, I have been a 1LT since May 2000. Since you are automatically made a captain when you complete med school, will the time I spent as a 2nd and 1st LT be added to my time in rank so that I will make major before my classmates that have no prior service, or am I back to square 1?"

Currently, a maximum of 1/2 year is creditable for each year of prior commissioned service in determining medical corps promotion eligibility at graduation by the regulations of the service concerned.

Hope this helped, if you have any other questions feel free to email me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I see Tec and I were answering simultaneously, he hit "add reply" before I did I guess...I could have saved a few keystrokes and said ditto...
;)

Thank you so much Tec and Tman! You were incredibly helpful.