LTMM

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2018
Hey guys! I just have a question regarding my MCAT score.
I took my third MCAT on 8/1 and received my score (132/124/131/129). As you can see, my CARS section is low compared to the other sections.
While I'm happy with my overall score, I am concerned how negatively the admission committee will look at my CARS score, since I'm in the current application cycle.
I will really appreciate if anyone can tell me how my unbalanced MCAT score will be looked.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
If you’re aiming for top schools, a good rule of thumb is to receive 125+ on all the sections. All Canadian schools will not like that low CARS score. Since I don’t know what your goal is, I’ll need more info.

LTMM

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2018
If you’re aiming for top schools, a good rule of thumb is to receive 125+ on all the sections. All Canadian schools will not like that low CARS score. Since I don’t know what your goal is, I’ll need more info.

most of the schools I applied in this cycle are not top schools. My first two MCAT scores were not high, so I only applied to schools where matriculants have an average MCAT of 512. At first I was not targeting any specific top schools, but my recent MCAT score is making me think whether I should add more top schools.

GoPenguinsGo

2+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
most of the schools I applied in this cycle are not top schools. My first two MCAT scores were not high, so I only applied to schools where matriculants have an average MCAT of 512. At first I was not targeting any specific top schools, but my recent MCAT score is making me think whether I should add more top schools.
Most top schools aren't going to tolerate a sub 127 (and some sub 128 or even sub 129) CARS score let alone a 124. Don't apply to the top schools in the country, you'd be throwing away money.

About the Ads

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think they will look favorably on your improvement and I don’t think your cars score would be any more impactful than the retakes. You should be good to go.

LTMM

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2018
Congrats on the significant improvement. What changes did you make to improve your MCAT?

I actually did post-bacc program, and its biochemistry course helped me a lot with understanding important concepts in MCAT. I also did Kaplan, which helped me organize orgo, biochem and bio concepts. After doing section banks, I did Kaplan FL first and then AAMC FL for the last two weeks before my MCAT date. I personally think Kaplan was very helpful, but I also agree that Kaplan FL and section banks focus more on concepts, while AAMC FL and actual test focus more on interpretation of data or experiments. I'm not sure about other prep, since I only used Kaplan.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.