Unbalanced MCAT with a low verbal reasoning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fingerscrossedpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in July and made a 29. I made an 11 in the biological section, a 10 in the physical sciences, and an 8 in the verbal reasoning. Is my MCAT too unbalanced? I'm really worried about my verbal reasoning score. My gpa is solid, 3.9 cumlative and a 3.9 science gpa. I've applied to five schools with 29-31 MCAT score averages and three long shot places with averages from 32-33. I'm in the process of doing my AACOMAS application as well and I think I'm going to apply to two osteopathic schools as well. Any thoughts? I'm worried my verbal score is a red flag.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took the MCAT in July and made a 29. I made an 11 in the biological section, a 10 in the physical sciences, and an 8 in the verbal reasoning. Is my MCAT too unbalanced? I'm really worried about my verbal reasoning score. My gpa is solid, 3.93 cumlative and a 3.89 science gpa. I've applied to five schools with 29-31 MCAT score averages and three long shot places with averages from 32-33. I'm in the process of doing my AACOMAS application as well and I think I'm going to apply to two osteopathic schools as well. Any thoughts? I'm worried my verbal score is a red flag.
Your outcome will be determined by your state of residence and the quality of your list of schools (as well as your personal and nonacademic accomplishments).

Reactions: 1 users
My learned colleague is spot on. You can always add some DO schools; you're fine for any of them, including mine.

Your outcome will be determined by your state of residence and the quality of your list of schools (as well as your personal and nonacademic accomplishments).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
8 MD schools is not enough, if you really want to get into an MD school with your stats. If it doesn't matter, I would say apply to at least 5 DO school in addition to the 8 MD.

8 MD schools is not enough, if you really want to get into an MD school with your stats. If it doesn't matter, I would say apply to at least 5 DO school in addition to the 8 MD.
Is it not too late to apply to more? And where would you suggest applying? I live in the state of Tennessee.

It depends, there may be a few more schools you can apply to with your stats at this time. What is your current list?

St. Louis, University of Tennessee, Louisville, Tulane, VCU, South Carolina Greenville, Drexel, and Wake Forest.

Wake Forest, St. Louis, and Tulane are my reaches, the rest were more realistic schools. I'm considering LMU and the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine at Georgia for osteopathic schools. I just feel like I've applied to all the realistic schools for my stats and state of residence. I can't imagine where else I would apply.

St. Louis, University of Tennessee, Louisville, Tulane, VCU, South Carolina Greenville, Drexel, and Wake Forest.

Wake Forest, St. Louis, and Tulane are my reaches, the rest were more realistic schools. I'm considering LMU and the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine at Georgia for osteopathic schools. I just feel like I've applied to all the realistic schools for my stats and state of residence. I can't imagine where else I would apply.

There are several more REASONABLE MD schools you can apply to. Rush and Rosalind Franklin are a couple. Both in Chicago. You need to buy an MSAR and check out the median stats for schools and their missions, then choose some to add to your list.

I don't know much about DO schools, maybe @Goro can guide you as far as specific schools go. Though he did say you're good for any of them...

Fingers, you can start with U TN, ETMS, and the following:
Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
VCU
All new MD programs except Va Tech and Hofstra
For DO schools, LMU-DeBusk is in your backyard, and nearby are the three VCOMs, ACOM, KYCOM, AT Still, NYIT-AR, PCOM-GA, the two FL schools, and Wm Carey. Basically, there's a DO school in every state in the old Confederacy, except LA. Then just expand outward.