Unbalanced MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cclewis

Perpetual Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not the most ideal situation but I doubt that it will be a deal breaker. My score break down was 10 10 7ps and it didn't cause any problems for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since the 6 is on PS...which schools usually care least about. I would expect most to over look it with your BS and VR scores. However, I believe there are a few schools that have a minimum section score requirement so you may want to contact them directly in case they automatically filter you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about it since the 6 is on PS...which schools usually care least about. I would expect most to over look it with your BS and VR scores. However, I believe there are a few schools that have a minimum section score requirement so you may want to contact them directly in case they automatically filter you out.

I don't mean to be negative here, just factual. I believe PS and and BS correlate with Step 1 scores (USMLE) strongly, followed by VR. But VR is usually considered the toughest section by students (I know I did). I don't think the writing correlates at all.

Being said, as long as your strong elsewhere, you're fine. Not everyone is good with Physical Science. Your VR is great.

I don't mean to be negative here, just factual. I believe PS and and BS correlate with Step 1 scores (USMLE) strongly, followed by VR. But VR is usually considered the toughest section by students (I know I did). I don't think the writing correlates at all.

Being said, as long as your strong elsewhere, you're fine. Not everyone is good with Physical Science. Your VR is great.

I don't believe MCAT correlates with the USMLE at all ( or the COMLEX). Do you have anything to back up your claim? Just wondering.

Recently, I got my MCAT results back. While I'm happy with my BS and VR scores, my PS score is so far off that I'm concerned about going ahead an applying with it. Here's the breakdown (12 VR, 10 BS, 6 PS, 28S composite).

So...how much of a hinderance will this be at DO schools? Is there some listing somewhere of subsection score cut-offs? I'm heavily considering studying physical sciences for the next month and retaking at the end of July.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nah... your MCAT is fine. If you want to add MD schools to your list you'll need to retake though

I don't believe MCAT correlates with the USMLE at all ( or the COMLEX). Do you have anything to back up your claim? Just wondering.

Here are some sources I found:

From wiki, under the The MCAT Today tab: The Biological Sciences section most directly correlates to success on the USMLE Step 1 exam, with a correlation coefficient of .553 vs .491 forPhysical Sciences and .397 for Verbal Reasoning. [2]

Predictably, MCAT composite scores also correlate with USMLE Step 1 success. [3]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_College_Admission_Test

For COMLEX:

http://www.jaoa.org/content/107/4/157.long

http://www.jaoa.org/content/104/8/332.full

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMLEX-USA

More can be found on Google, but those are just a few sources to start.

I think you'll be fine. But with a Bio 6 on the other hand, I'd reject you outright.

Recently, I got my MCAT results back. While I'm happy with my BS and VR scores, my PS score is so far off that I'm concerned about going ahead an applying with it. Here's the breakdown (12 VR, 10 BS, 6 PS, 28S composite).

So...how much of a hinderance will this be at DO schools? Is there some listing somewhere of subsection score cut-offs? I'm heavily considering studying physical sciences for the next month and retaking at the end of July.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Is there some centralized listing of cut off scores for DO schools? I've been searching websites, but am having trouble finding anything official.

Also, to everyone else, I have a cGPA of 3.87 and a sGPA of 3.8 - I think that does still make me a strong candidate. Just being overly paranoid, I suppose :-/ .I'm fairly certain I could raise that PS if I retook at the end of July. More or less cost-benefit analysis right now.

Is there some centralized listing of cut off scores for DO schools? I've been searching websites, but am having trouble finding anything official.

Also, to everyone else, I have a cGPA of 3.87 and a sGPA of 3.8 - I think that does still make me a strong candidate. Just being overly paranoid, I suppose :-/ .I'm fairly certain I could raise that PS if I retook at the end of July. More or less cost-benefit analysis right now.

you're fine...

there are a few schools that auto reject below 7. (OSU? I don't remember)

Do a google search for CIB 2013...its the MSAR for DO schools and its free to download. It has info for each school

It doesn't have D.O. numbers though...

Does anyone know where I can find average GPA and MCAT scores of each DO school?

haha, thats all it has.

Try again...google CIB 2013

Its like the MSAR, but its for DO schools.Only DO schools