UNC Dental- Applying 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey DeckofCards, when did you tell UNC that you didn't want your spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! This is a question for any current students or anyone who is familiar with the Chapel Hill area! My husband and I are heading down next weekend from Ohio to look for places to live. We are going to look at both apartments to rent and townhouses to buy becuase we haven't decided which we are going to do yet! We have only been to Chapel Hill once, for the interview, so we aren't really familiar with the area. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places for us to look at? Are there apartment complexes around that are popular for graduate students? Any information or recommendations would be great! Thanks!

^ Kate, PM'ed you!

Also, if anyone is still looking for a roommate, please let me know. Would love to share a place with another fellow D1.

Hey all! This is a question for any current students or anyone who is familiar with the Chapel Hill area! My husband and I are heading down next weekend from Ohio to look for places to live. We are going to look at both apartments to rent and townhouses to buy becuase we haven't decided which we are going to do yet! We have only been to Chapel Hill once, for the interview, so we aren't really familiar with the area. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places for us to look at? Are there apartment complexes around that are popular for graduate students? Any information or recommendations would be great! Thanks!

Join the facebook group. I posted this there:

1 - Expect to take the bus. To that end, use chtransit.org to help locate a bus line with good service to the Health Sciences Library, UNC hospitals, or the Pittsboro St. Credit Union. Routes marked with an "X" (i.e. FCX, JFX, CPX, etc.) are express routes and thus have fewer stops. Many of us take advantage of free park-and-ride lots at Jones Ferry, Carrboro Plaza, and the Friday Center. Parking on campus is EXTREMELY limited. I know of only one of my classmates that managed to swing a parking permit.

2 - On-campus housing is an option, if an unpopular one. It's comparatively expensive (at least in my opinion), but it is within walking distance to school. Something to consider.

3 - Carrboro and Chapel Hill are, for all intents and purposes, the same city. It's within reason to live in the Carrboro town limits and walk to school in 15 minutes.

4 - It's possible to live in Durham, Orange County, Pittsboro, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or even in Alamance county. Make sure to expand your search to these areas to help cut costs, if that's a requirement.

5 - Regarding rental agencies, I have NO experience with them.

6 - Regarding rental costs, I know that I lived in a 3 bed/ 2 bath apt, 1 mile from campus, in 1998. It was $730/month. I have no idea if that's even relevant. Maybe some of my classmates will chime in.

^ Kate, PM'ed you!

Also, if anyone is still looking for a roommate, please let me know. Would love to share a place with another fellow D1.

I may be lookin for a roomate...wont know for sure until a month or two though! Do you live in Chapel Hill head2heel?

Has anyone who is on the wait list heard anything from UNC?

I was called thursday and offered a spot. I'm settled in elsewhere so I declined. Someone else should be hearing soon, they only gave me 24 hours to think it over.

I was called thursday and offered a spot. I'm settled in elsewhere so I declined. Someone else should be hearing soon, they only gave me 24 hours to think it over.

wow..you turned down UNC??..:rolleyes:
where do you plan to attend over one of the best? hehe..

JK, I'm pretty sure you made a right decision and I sincerely wish you the best in your future! congrats!

Good luck to you guys, I hope you all get in!

wow..you turned down UNC??..:rolleyes:
where do you plan to attend over one of the best? hehe..

JK, I'm pretty sure you made a right decision and I sincerely wish you the best in your future! congrats!

Trust me, one of the hardest things I've done. It was my top choice and I have been waiting since Dec 1 for the call. It just didnt end up working for my wife. We are all settled in elsewhere.

I agree its the best. Good luck,

Trust me, one of the hardest things I've done. It was my top choice and I have been waiting since Dec 1 for the call. It just didnt end up working for my wife. We are all settled in elsewhere.

I agree its the best. Good luck,

Moabmad - Seems like you came to the decision that was best for you. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Moabmad - Seems like you came to the decision that was best for you. Best of luck!

Actually, I just reversed it. Called them today to see if my acceptance was still open, they said yes, so I committed. Worst weekend of my life realizing I just turned down my No. 1 school. But it worked out for the best. Terry said they would mail out the acceptance packet. Bellum, thanks for the information..... it helped me make the correct decision.

Hey, does anyone have a link to the UNC C/O 2014 facebook page? I can't locate the one specific to dental.

Actually, I just reversed it. Called them today to see if my acceptance was still open, they said yes, so I committed. Worst weekend of my life realizing I just turned down my No. 1 school. But it worked out for the best. Terry said they would mail out the acceptance packet. Bellum, thanks for the information..... it helped me make the correct decision.

Hey, does anyone have a link to the UNC C/O 2014 facebook page? I can't locate the one specific to dental.

Awesome! Get in the UNC victory truck!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=335285905047

There you go!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Welcome aboard!! You will love Chapel Hill! See you around in the fall~:D

Is there any close parking for D1 students? If so, how much is a parking permit and what are the name of the areas where we can park?

Does anyone know when applicants are interviewed, or when the decision is made for the Board of Governor's Scholarship? Thanks!