UNC Dental- Applying 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know approx. how many they called in Dec? The PreDents stats of almost everyone accepted are insane. It's crazy that no one here heard yesterday morning. I guess there aren't a lot of other qualified UNC applicants on SDN. (Although, my friend knows 6-7 in-state people who interviewed at UNC and hadn't heard a peep but got into OOS schools.)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know approx. how many they called in Dec? The PreDents stats of almost everyone accepted are insane. It's crazy that no one here heard yesterday morning. I guess there aren't a lot of other qualified UNC applicants on SDN. (Although, my friend knows 6-7 in-state people who interviewed at UNC and hadn't heard a peep but got into OOS schools.)
That's always the case with UNC. My friend last year went to Duke and was from Charlotte, got into 5 schools (Michigan, Columbia, Tufts, Maryland, and VCU). Did not get accepted into UNC... They definitely do things differently, but are one of the best schools in the country, so it works. When it comes to UNC, expect the worst, hope for the best.
I do have a question for you all to think about.. How much focus does UNC put on serving the less fortunate areas like in Eastern Carolina? Some schools like ASDOH harp on these matters and let applicants know. I am just curious, cause that could have an effect on their admission decisions.

Last edited:
just talked to Dr. Morano.
yes, they are done for Dec.
if you didn't get in Dec, please don't give up your hope for unc yet! lots of people get in Feb, so you just need wait two more mo! GL!!

thats unfortunate b/c some of us can't wait until february.....i know getting in to UNC OOS is tough but they should help the out of staters by either accepting, waitlisting or rejecting them straight up in december....it doesn't make sense to wait until february while other schools will hand out acceptances in between now and then to out of staters....just my 2 cents tho :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
How much focus does UNC put on serving the less fortunate areas like in Eastern Carolina? Some schools like Midwestern and ASDOH harp on these matters and let applicants know. I am just curious, cause that could have an effect on their admission decisions.

I imagine that it plays some role, but who really knows how to tell when an applicant is serious about working in an under-served area... (unless they grew up there??) It will be interesting to see what changes after ECU opens...

I don't know if anyone else has seen or read this report about the shortages of dentists in NC and the distributions of dentists by county, but it is an interesting read:

http://www.shepscenter.unc.edu/publications.html (located in the bulleted list on the left, 3rd from the last)

I would have attached it, but it is about 2500 Kb

two of my interviewers emphasized serving under-served communities a TON. and the dentists i shadowed speculated that the reason for opening another dental school in eastern NC is in an effort to get more dentists to practice out there. so it def seems to me like a big area of importance for the admissions committee.

i have to think that since it seems like the majority of the applicants just accepted have pretty ridic stats (much higher than UNC's average) - and it doesn't seem like a huge number have been accepted - many more of us "UNC average" students will be accepted in Feb. but then, maybe i'm just being hopelessly optimistic...:shrug:

thats unfortunate b/c some of us can't wait until february.....i know getting in to UNC OOS is tough but they should help the out of staters by either accepting, waitlisting or rejecting them straight up in december....it doesn't make sense to wait until february while other schools will hand out acceptances in between now and then to out of staters....just my 2 cents tho :rolleyes:
I know it's your first choice and their system is not the easiest to grasp. But multiple schools have already expressed their utmost interest in you. They think you will be a great fit and really want you. What I am saying is out of frustration for people like you, not me. I realized I wouldn't be accepted off the bat with UNC (just with my stats and overall application). As you can see, few are. If you think UNC is where you will be the happiest then wait it out. But you will receive just as good as an education at schools like Michigan, Stony Brook, Pitt. etc. Congrats and try and brush UNC off to the side. Celebrate what you have accomplished.

two of my interviewers emphasized serving under-served communities a TON. and the dentists i shadowed speculated that the reason for opening another dental school in eastern NC is in an effort to get more dentists to practice out there. so it def seems to me like a big area of importance for the admissions committee.

i have to think that since it seems like the majority of the applicants just accepted have pretty ridic stats (much higher than UNC's average) - and it doesn't seem like a huge number have been accepted - many more of us "UNC average" students will be accepted in Feb. but then, maybe i'm just being hopelessly optimistic...:shrug:
Yea, just some of the questions I got were:
Do you plan on practicing in Charlotte?
Why do you think there are a lack of Dentists in Eastern Carolina?
What can we do about it?
What do you like about Charlotte?
Would you practice in an Eastern Carolina small town?

I wanted a lawyer hehe

How much focus does UNC put on serving the less fortunate areas like in Eastern Carolina? Some schools like Midwestern and ASDOH harp on these matters and let applicants know.

You are right, but delete what's in red and your statement is correct.

I imagine that it plays some role, but who really knows how to tell when an applicant is serious about working in an under-served area... (unless they grew up there??) It will be interesting to see what changes after ECU opens...

Practicing in under served communities and areas is easier said than done. Who is to say that graduates of ECU wouldn't just hop back into the big cities and start practicing there. I think they are definitely going to try to take applicants who have experienced living in those under served areas and probably also take applicants who are looking for another career (coming from engineering, real estate, etc.) to whom money is not an issue at their stage in life.

Last edited:
haha...I love it! So many mysterious questions when it comes to UNC, Im glad Im not alone in feeling the way I do..I have been trying to figure them out for four years now and Im still lost! IMO UNC tries to put up an image that they care about getting more dentist to rural areas, but I may be wrong. I know everytime I have gone for an interview that subject has been covered. I also know that initially, UNC fought the building of the new D school at ECU and only gave in once they got something out of the deal...the new addition to the dental school (its gonna be nice). I mean how concerned can you really be about populating the eastern half of the state with more dentist if your gonna fight efforts that could actually better that problem?

You are right, but delete what's in red and your statement is correct.

Practicing in under served communities and areas is easier said than done. Who is to say that graduates of ECU wouldn't just hop back into the big cities and start practicing there. I think they are definitely going to try to take applicants who have experienced living in those under served areas and probably also take applicants who are looking for another career (coming from engineering, real estate, etc.) to whom money is not an issue at their stage in life.
My bad, thought I read that somewhere

thanks for the article, jmt. lots of interesting info.

I actually really think there is a lot of truth in that UNC cares a lot about under-served populations in rural NC. I am an in-state resident from rural western north carolina, and I was accepted to UNC a couple of days ago. My personal statement focused on my experiences growing up in western north carolina, and shadowing my mother to the cherokee reservation as a part of her clinical rotations. I was also asked during the interview what I thought about practicing in rural areas, and my response was that I am seriously considering going back to western north carolina to work upon graduation. I think that might definitely have been a factor in admissions.

I was never asked any of those questions about where I plan to practice in my interview at UNC...honestly I wasn't asked really any questions that I have seen posted here. I did bring it up however when I talked about why I wanted to be a dentist...

It makes me nervous that it seems like my interviews were really different than the ones that people have posted about on here..

Members don't see this ad :)
I was never asked about serving underserved communities.

I was from a part of the state with a surplus of dentists.

I think it's far more important to be honest in your interview than to tell people what you think they'd like to hear.

I agree. I was 100 percent myself that day, which is why I thought I did pretty well...everything went really smoothly! this wait till feb is driving me crazy though :(

I was never asked about serving underserved communities.

I was from a part of the state with a surplus of dentists.

I think it's far more important to be honest in your interview than to tell people what you think they'd like to hear.
Hey, i'm really interested in applying to UNC next cycle so I have been following the thread in order to get a sense of how the process works.

I've highlighted what Sarah Bellum said because i'm not sure where it fits in. It doesn't seem like the previous posters said anything about being dishonest, they were just explaining questions they were asked and were trying to connect the dots. And it also seems like they are trying to figure out the Dec. 1st patterns, and didn't you post you weren't accepted until February? And I know through typing you can't tell how I am coming across (attitude wise). I just want you to know I mean all this as friendly as possible; it's simply an inquiry.

I've highlighted what Sarah Bellum said because i'm not sure where it fits in. It doesn't seem like the previous posters said anything about being dishonest, they were just explaining questions they were asked and were trying to connect the dots.

Some of the previous posters are misinformed. UNC is not all about serving the under served. However, UNC want their graduates to be involved within their community; participating in activities outside of their private practice.

There are schools that emphasize serving the under served and state that as their mission statement, schools such as Meharry.

Some of the previous posters are misinformed. UNC is not all about serving the under served. However, UNC want their graduates to be involved within their community; participating in activities outside of their private practice.

There are schools that emphasize serving the under served and state that as their mission statement, schools such as Meharry.
I didn't think it was. I mean, I am sure they make an attempt to bring in applicants who will do so, but like you said, it's not in their mission statement.

The wait is on... any1 knows when in Jan/Feb is the second selection meeting?

The wait is on... any1 knows when in Jan/Feb is the second selection meeting?

It's been always the Wednesday of the first week of Dec/Feb that the committee makes their decisions.

They will make some calls after the meeting, then most of calls next morning.

I got a reply to my email, and they said that they selected only half of the class. They also said they are selecting the rest of the half around Feb 1st.

^ Half the class is still 40 seats gone...makes me very anxious and worried.

this is listed as an item on UNC's website under their "Core Values" section:

6. Advance the health of the people of North Carolina by shaping our teaching, research, and service agendas around the state's needs. We seek to provide oral health to all segments of the public with a special responsibility to educate oral health professionals to meet the needs of underserved communities.

of course it's important to be honest in your interview, but it does seems to me that UNC is looking for people who have shown commitment to serving others through volunteer and community service work. and, like Stu, i was asked questions about how i plan to serve underserved communities as a dentist in my interviews.

1/2 the class was accepted?!?!?!? super depressing....:cry:

^ Half the class is still 40 seats gone...makes me very anxious and worried.

That means they handed out X number of acceptances. Many of those are out of staters, or highly competitive candidates who will likely have a number of acceptances. Getting one from UNC doesn't mean they'll accept the offer.

As for community service, it's absolutely important at UNC. There are dozens of opportunities through the school to help with underserved populations. When you receive your white coat, you sign a pledge where you commit a certain amount of your time towards directly addressing "access to care" issues.

With all that said, don't say you'd like to be a dentist in rural eastern NC unless that's truly your plan. I think the interviewers are more interested in getting a chance to meet the genuine applicant, rather than a front. If you'd consider such a position, I think it's totally fair to say you'd consider it. If it's the kind of thing you'd never consider, I'd try to think of a different way to be a contributing member of society through dentistry.

SDN is a wonderful and flawed resource. Most of the information guiding the predents here comes from other predents, so in a sense it's the blind leading the blind. With that said, I think most of the folks here acquire and disseminate valuable information. In this case, however, I think the direction that this thread has taken is slightly misguided. Does UNC want students who would like to serve their community? Probably so. Does UNC only accept students who are planning on working in public health clinics in the Green Swamp surrounding Whiteville? Probably not. We put a ton of folks into specialties, and most of the students go on to highly profitable work in private practice.

As for tooth pulp - we're totally cool. I just think that there's a misconception that UNC is looking exclusively for people who are planning on a life of monastic self-sacrifice. As for my own admission process, I think you can see by looking at predents (and seeing who was accepted when) that my February admission likely had more to do with my numbers than anything else. Frankly, I was fortunate to be accepted anywhere. Now that I'm in dental school, however, I think it's fair to say I'm performing at a high level.

The bottom line is for folks to try to be patient, because UNC's bifurcated admissions process is different from other schools. If you didn't get in in December at some schools, you may not have a very good chance. If you didn't get a December acceptance at UNC, you still have a decent shot. Best of luck to everyone applying - it's a grueling, miserable process of waiting.

thanks for setting us straight, sarah bellum. well said :) it's really nice to have a dental student on this thread, i definitely appreciate your input.

Last edited:
thanks for setting us straight, sarah bellum. well said :) it's really nice to have a dental student on this thread, i definitely appreciate your input.

As a dental student, I don't have much more info than you. I'm not on the admissions committee. I just want people to understand that admissions can look very different when viewed through the lens of SDN.

If you don't get in, talk to the folks in Academic Affairs. Dr. Morano is an excellent, highly approachable resource. It's important to remember, though, that there are more good candidates than there are seats. In that sense, once you've made yourself the best possible candidate, it's still somewhat of a crapshoot.

someone wrote that they got an email from UNC saying that half of the class is selected. I got an email from the review committee, that I am using, saying that most of the out state students and small number of the in state students have been offered a spot and the bigger pool of acceptances will be in Feb. Not sure which is correct but im gona stick with my review committee...gives me hope:D

Sounds like you both have heard similar things. A question I have concerning in-state applicants is, when they initially reviewed your files, do you think they made a pile of potential February acceptances? I guess no one knows exactly. I just find it weird that they reviewed everyone's file and only made choices on 20-30 in-state applicants.

What I remember Dr Guckes say in the last cycle is that several factors are involved. I'm sure everyone has heard the 40:30:30 ratio interview,DAT,GPA but other factors also matter. The example he gave was that if every thing is equal (the numbers) they will look at the applicants to see which applicant shows leadership experience and they will pick the one with leadership experience.

What I remember Dr Guckes say in the last cycle is that several factors are involved. I'm sure everyone has heard the 40:30:30 ratio interview,DAT,GPA but other factors also matter. The example he gave was that if every thing is equal (the numbers) they will look at the applicants to see which applicant shows leadership experience and they will pick the one with leadership experience.
I thought EC's and leadership were calculated into the 40% interview. Like the 40% was your overall picture not counting grades and DAT scores.

**By the way two of my friends from JHU have interviewed there and this is where I get my information. They also did not get accepted, but got in elsewhere**

I thought EC's and leadership were calculated into the 40% interview. Like the 40% was your overall picture not counting grades and DAT scores.

**By the way two of my friends from JHU have interviewed there and this is where I get my information. They also did not get accepted, but got in elsewhere**
Actually Tooth Pulp may be right. At my interview, I remember the dean or a student mentioning that the P.S., LOE, and EC's play a part in the 40%. It's not just how you act in the interview. It's meshing your personality with the things mentioned above.

Actually Tooth Pulp may be right. At my interview, I remember the dean or a student mentioning that the P.S., LOE, and EC's play a part in the 40%. It's not just how you act in the interview. It's meshing your personality with the things mentioned above.

I'm glad I don't have their job.

To other in-state folks, have you heard from other schools? Can you wait to let other schools know until you potentially hear from UNC?

I was wondering the samething. Alot of people on this thread have been accepted to other schools. How much time do you guys have to accept or deny their offer?

From what I've heard, 45 days. So no, you can't wait to let other schools know. Only thing is to put down and lose the deposit if you get into UNC later.

I'm going to wait and not write off UNC until February because it was (before this fiasco) my top choice. I was accepted by the other 4 schools I interviewed at so I'm going to make multiple deposits to hold my spots at those schools as I wait to hear from UNC and to see where my fiance is accepted to law school...I just wish I knew where I was going already. I hate this limbo. I almost would rather have been rejected by UNC so I could just move on than this waiting with who knows how much chance of even getting in.. sigh..

Just received reply to my inquiry. 10 out of the 16 out of state slots have been extened offers of admission. The remaining 6 will be extended in february.:(

Just thought i'd pass along the info.

Just received reply to my inquiry. 10 out of the 16 out of state slots have been extened offers of admission. The remaining 6 will be extended in february.:(

Just thought i'd pass along the info.

From info I've gotten from UNC, there are only 13 of the 81 spots reserved for OOS.

will UNC interview any more out of staters at their final interview? and i know you guys may not know this, but how many more OOS students are expected to receive acceptances in feb.??

I just wish I knew where I was going already. I hate this limbo. I almost would rather have been rejected by UNC so I could just move on than this waiting with who knows how much chance of even getting in.. sigh..

I agree, being in limbo makes you think about every last detail a billion times. Things will work out!:thumbup:

In my last cycle in was interviewed in Jan and there were quite a few OOS in that group so yea they will continue to interview OOS students....

Does UNC even send rejection letters in Dec to the people who have interviewed already or they torture for 2 additional months?

Does UNC even send rejection letters in Dec to the people who have interviewed already or they torture for 2 additional months?
No rejection letters until they meet again in early Feb. You will be considered again at that meeting, so they are not intending to torture you for 2 additional months.

Those with acceptances elsewhere - be happy! You have been given the opportunity to be a dentist!!! Isn't that the goal?? If UNC calls you in Feb, it'll be icing on the cake.

Keep your hopes up, you are an in-stater and have solid stats...:thumbup:

I just stopped by and asked the academic affairs office when the last round of interview invites (January) are going out for you guys: The end of next week!

Hope this helps. :xf:Good luck!:luck:

I just stopped by and asked the academic affairs office when the last round of interview invites (January) are going out for you guys: The end of next week!

Hope this helps. :xf:Good luck!:luck:

Thanks, that is good to know. Anyone else waiting for a Jan interview?

my UNC status changed from invited to interview back to received/under review. Everyone else showing that also?

mine says that too - it just changed this morning

Mine stayed as " Received/Under Review " all through out the time even though I did go to the interview.

Ah..are they not even admitting that they invited me for an interview? lol..
I was probably the worst interviewee of this cycle. I did so bad..

Mine stayed as " Received/Under Review " all through out the time even though I did go to the interview.

Ah..are they not even admitting that they invited me for an interview? lol..
I was probably the worst interviewee of this cycle. I did so bad..

Keep your hopes up. Maybe you'll hear something in Feb:thumbup: