UNC Finally... and a question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by j99, Oct 8, 2001.

1. j99

j99 Member

For those waiting on UNC--last week I did finally get their secondary. The cover letter also said that once my secondary is complete and in-state status is confirmed, I will be granted an interview. (Does everyone's letter say this? Will you automatically get an interview if you are in state?)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member

i'm an out of stater, so I'm not even sure I'll get a secondary. I really hope i get a chance to interview though, really really good school. I didn't know they hadn't been sendign out secondaries though, but if they said if your'e instate and fill out the secondary, they must screen pretty heavily before giving the secondary out.

4. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    j99: Have you been verified? I called and they said that secondaries are only going out to those who have been verified by AMCAS, which means a lot of people are still waiting.

5. j99

j99 Member

Nope, I have not been verified (submitted 7/25). No red x's, no marks beside the grade. My letter said that they "have had trouble verifying people's MCAT scores" so they wanted me to send in my scores along with my secondary. So it looks like they are taking unverified apps...

6. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just called them today and they basically confirmed what you said. They are taking unverified apps, but it's got to be complete. I am having the exact same problem as you (submitted early July.) Everything has been in for weeks, but no MCATs. Since they have the preliminary app, they think it's complete and tell me that it's complete. So now I think the file is complete, but when they go to look at it, there aren't any MCAT scores on the AMCAS app, so it just sits there for another couple of weeks until I got worried enough to check on it. I was not notified that my MCATs were missing either.

Anyway, I am having to fax/mail copies of my MCAT scores to individual schools now. Unfortunately, there are some that just don't take unofficial ones, so I just have to wait some more for those to come in.

Since you had problems with this school, I would recommend checking on the other schools you've applied to and find out if they have your MCAT scores, even if you've been told your app is complete.

7. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PS: I hear they screen pretty heavily even for the secondary-- so Congrats! :)

8. brentunc

brentunc Member

I went to undergrad last year at UNC and went through the wonderful process of applying to Carolina. With regards to getting a secondary, every North Carolina resident gets a secondary. Once you interview, don't believe their "We'll get back to you within a month" story. I interviewed in August and it was December before they told me that I was accepted.

9. beached whale

beached whale Member

I just met with the dean of admissions at UNC today and he gave me the impression that every in state applicant with an MCAT above 20 gets a secondary - furthermore, everyone who recieves a secondary gets an interview. Of course, this is different for out of state students. Lets see... what else, oh yes, they just now are ready to start interviewing for regular (non-EDP) applicants. I am not sure about them using unverified applications - it was only when I mentioned that I was one of the lucky few who had been verified that he went to get my file. They also wait on MCAT scores to send out secondaries, and he said they are expecting the August scores any day now. (P.S. this was not a real interview - I just happened to bump into him and he invited me to talk with him a while). Hope this is helpful. Funny, when I asked him what the schools were doing about AMCAS he smiled and suggested a march on Washington :)

10. j99

j99 Member

Beached whale: if everyone who is in state gets a secondary, and also an interview, why do the US News stats say that 790 applied in state but only 438 were granted interviews? (Although I was kind of suspicious about my letter with the "as soon as you are confirmed in state you get an interview" statement.)

11. gower

gower 1K Member

Of AMCAS applicants, approximately 70% of NC residents and less than 10% of others are asked to submit secondaries.

Information on 2000-2001 First Year Class (from 2002-2003 MSAR):

# in state applicants applied 644, out-of-state, 4800.

# in state applicants interviewed 211, out- of-state 299

New Entrants* 51 NC, 57 not NC

*These are not the total accepts, which are unknown to me.

12. beached whale

beached whale Member

I don't know if it is a special policy this year to move things along or not, but as long as you are an in-state student and your scores are minimally acceptable, you get a secondary and interview... Just what I was told :)

13. j99

j99 Member

So whale...have you heard that they are interviewing more students than usual this year?

14. beached whale

beached whale Member

He didn't say that exactly... but I do know that the dean of admissions is also consulting with the Dean over at Duke to try to find a reasonable way to handle the process this year. I think that the idea is (for UNC at any rate) that by making an interview pretty much go hand in hand with getting a secondary that that saves them time in screening the secondaries(?). But at this point, they may only be doing that with verified applications, I have no idea. BTW, Duke is considering sending an email out to everyone who has applied saying that they should go ahead and fill out Duke's application and have transcripts directly forwarded to them. So much for paying AMCAS to do its job. Sorry I can't be of more help...

15. RainaNoelle

RainaNoelle Member

I just got off the phone with someone in UNC admissions and she said they are not looking at unverified applications, and at least for non-residents, they aren't sending out secondaries until they get your MCAT scores. :( I hope they get them quickly!

Raina