UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey All:

Did any of you apply to the Masters to Doctorate program? I have not heard from either committee and am very anxious. I congratulate you all on your acceptances. As it is March 1st, I can only guess that I have probably not been accepted......I am at a loss as I really though I was a good fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Was your friend accepted to a Nutrition Master's or PhD program at UNC? I applied for the Nutrition Epi PhD program and still haven't heard back. I'm trying to find other UNC nutrition PhD applicants but so far haven't found any...:confused:
Hey, I was accepted to the PhD Nutrition Epi program in early January. Maybe we met if you were also at the interviews in December(?) In any case, if you haven't heard yet then maybe they're waiting for those who are officially admitted to accept/reject their offers before letting you know.

Anyone have any questions about the UNC HBHE program let me know! I am a current HBHE

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the deadline to commit to the maternal and child health MPH program? I'm freaking out because my friend who was accepted to the nutrition program says her deadline is tomorrow and I can't find anything online. :confused:

Oh dear. I went back to the Apply Yourself/ Decision page and Newly Admitted Students page and realized that I have misread something. I was under the impression that the deadline to indicate your intent to enroll is April 15 because of this line:

UNC-Chapel Hill supports the Council of Graduate Schools' Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants, which states that you are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15.

But that's for offers of financial support. Strangely there's no other date indicating the deadline to commit to the MCH program. Then again, the Admitted Graduate Students Day is on March 23. So it's safe to say we still have time from now till at least March 23 to make a decision? I might just drop the Program Coordinator an email tomorrow morning if that helps anyone.

startofthedream, congrats on your acceptance!!! Will you be going to the Admitted Day?

Oh dear. I went back to the Apply Yourself/ Decision page and Newly Admitted Students page and realized that I have misread something. I was under the impression that the deadline to indicate your intent to enroll is April 15 because of this line:

UNC-Chapel Hill supports the Council of Graduate Schools' Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants, which states that you are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15.

But that's for offers of financial support. Strangely there's no other date indicating the deadline to commit to the MCH program. Then again, the Admitted Graduate Students Day is on March 23. So it's safe to say we still have time from now till at least March 23 to make a decision? I might just drop the Program Coordinator an email tomorrow morning if that helps anyone.

startofthedream, congrats on your acceptance!!! Will you be going to the Admitted Day?

No worries! I e-mailed the MCH student services coordinator and she said the deadline to commit is April 16th because April 15th is a Sunday (not sure if that really makes a difference haha).

I'm not going to the Admitted Day because I already visited when I interviewed, but have fun! Are you considering anywhere else or are you for sure going to UNC? I'm having such a hard time deciding between UNC and Hopkins.

It should be April 15 for all schools!

Hey All:

Did any of you apply to the Masters to Doctorate program? I have not heard from either committee and am very anxious. I congratulate you all on your acceptances. As it is March 1st, I can only guess that I have probably not been accepted......I am at a loss as I really though I was a good fit.

I applied for that program in HBHE. I heard back in early Feb. Best of luck.

Hello people, anyone applied to or heard from the unc public health leadership program?

Applied: unc, ucla,hopkins,columbia,michigan,yale
Accepted: hopkins,columbia,michigan,yale
Attending: CONFUSED!!!, :confused:

Hello people, anyone applied to or heard from the unc public health leadership program?

UNC was the first for me to hear back from - I was accepted into their online public health leadership program at the end of January (I submitted my application the start of January, so it took 4 weeks to hear back). Good luck!

I've been waiting and waiting to hear back from the MPH/RD program. I finally emailed them today and they said I've been waitlisted. I was surprised to hear that I'm waitlisted and am wondering if they'll then interview me? Kinda confused by the whole process and that they never let me know. Guess it will be a stressful end of March....

I've been waiting and waiting to hear back from the MPH/RD program. I finally emailed them today and they said I've been waitlisted. I was surprised to hear that I'm waitlisted and am wondering if they'll then interview me? Kinda confused by the whole process and that they never let me know. Guess it will be a stressful end of March....
I just found out the same thing today! From what I understand the MPH/RD program doesn't interview. They also told me that the students who have been accepted have to make their decision by March 15th and that they will be calling people over the next two weeks to find out if they have made up their mind. So I think we should know soon if we will get in. Good luck!

Any thoughts/ insights/ advice on the following?

Department size:
I'm in for MCH. Department size is the smallest - 39 Masters students for Fall 2011. Do you see it as a big pro (close-knitted group, supportive environment), or a con (lesser people = lesser connections)?

Practicum & job opportunities:
Would it be much harder to clinch a field placement/ job after graduation in NYC (for example, since it's home to many NGO headquarters), compared to another student who's already based in NYC? I'm an international student, if that matters.

I'm from a very urban city, so I'm not too sure if I'll like Chapel Hill (small town feel) as much?

Housing:
Where will you be staying? On-campus/ off campus?

For all those who have committed to UNC, can you share with us why did you choose UNC?

Last edited:
I'm interested, too, especially in everyone's thoughts on practicum and job opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me how much out-of-state tuition is for HPM students? Has anyone started looking for housing and have suggestions? I'll be a first year MHA student and will probably be looking for a roommate. PM me if interested!

Go Tarheels! :soexcited:

Any thoughts/ insights/ advice on the following?

Department size:
I'm in for MCH. Department size is the smallest - 39 Masters students for Fall 2011. Do you see it as a big pro (close-knitted group, supportive environment), or a con (lesser people = lesser connections)?

Practicum & job opportunities:
Would it be much harder to clinch a field placement/ job after graduation in NYC (for example, since it's home to many NGO headquarters), compared to another student who's already based in NYC? I'm an international student, if that matters.

I'm from a very urban city, so I'm not too sure if I'll like Chapel Hill (small town feel) as much?

Housing:
Where will you be staying? On-campus/ off campus?

For all those who have committed to UNC, can you share with us why did you choose UNC?

I'm 100% in at UNC (deposit paid!) for MCH - if you search my old posts I wrote a long post about why it was the best choice for me.

But I'll add to that: :)

As far as job opportunities go, I do think that UNC has such a great reputation you will definitely not have trouble finding things in NYC/DC/where ever in public health. This link might be helpful: http://www.sph.unc.edu/student_affairs/careers_in_public_health_324_7817.html I really appreciate that they are so transparent about where their students end up after graduation.

For the small town part - CH is definitely small size and population wise (about 50,000), but it does have many of the benefits of a larger city, especially when you count Raleigh and Durham in too. With all the universities in the area comes a lot of culture - museums, plays, lectures, etc. The food scene is pretty good around the Triangle too. I love Ethiopian food and was super happy to find a few between CH and Durham. And there are free buses all over town! You will be able to drive literally 5 minutes out of town and be in farmland if you want, so if that's not your deal, CH might not be either. I am personally super psyched to be getting away from the congestion of DC!

As far as housing goes, we're looking off campus - if you look at the CH transit website, they list many of the bigger complexes and which buses run to them. It was really helpful in starting the search process.

Also, I definitely suggest calling your department and asking to speak to a current student, I think they would be happy to help and would give you a lot of good insight.

Good luck everyone with your decisions!

As far as housing goes, we're looking off campus - if you look at the CH transit website, they list many of the bigger complexes and which buses run to them. It was really helpful in starting the search process.

Also, I definitely suggest calling your department and asking to speak to a current student, I think they would be happy to help and would give you a lot of good insight.

Thanks spring6723 for sharing!

For housing, are you looking at Carrboro? I heard that many MCH students live in Carrboro. Yes, I've been keeping in touch with a current MCH student and some students from other Departments/ Schools and they've all been really helpful!

Did anyone go for the Admitted Students Day on Friday? Would really love to hear about your experience!

Hey,
I'm an international student and I have been offered admission to the MSPH program in HPM. I was wondering if anyone could advise me how i can go about speaking to the current MSPH students.

Did anyone go for the Admitted Students Day on Friday? Would really love to hear about your experience!

They really emphasized how UNC SPH is a place of incredible opportunity . Students from each department talked about their experiences. The campus-wide theme for the next 2 years is going to be water, which is obviously relevant to public health, and the SPH is coming up on its 75th anniversary. The faculty went on and on about how great the students are, describing them as "practical idealists" and "passionate".

I spent from 10am to 3pm with my department (Public Health Leadership Program). They fed us a great lunch and gave us a tour of the campus. I feel like I really got to know my class, and I felt very welcomed, like I belonged there.

After departmental sessions, we returned to the auditorium for a session about financial aid. There was a lot about residency status and student loans.

I did not attend the social event at the end of the day, opting instead to get a head start on the drive home.

I will be returning on Monday to sort out housing. I plan to move to the area in May.

So far I am very happy with the school and can't wait to start!

UNC begins water theme on World Water Day: http://globalhealth.unc.edu/2012/03/unc-begins-water-theme-on-world-water-day/

i'm glad some of you were able to make it to admitted students day and enjoyed all of the festivities! only a few more weeks until april 15th, is anyone still on the fence?

-waystinthyme

I'm 100% in at UNC (deposit paid!) for MCH - if you search my old posts I wrote a long post about why it was the best choice for me.

But I'll add to that: :)

As far as job opportunities go, I do think that UNC has such a great reputation you will definitely not have trouble finding things in NYC/DC/where ever in public health. This link might be helpful: http://www.sph.unc.edu/student_affairs/careers_in_public_health_324_7817.html I really appreciate that they are so transparent about where their students end up after graduation.

For the small town part - CH is definitely small size and population wise (about 50,000), but it does have many of the benefits of a larger city, especially when you count Raleigh and Durham in too. With all the universities in the area comes a lot of culture - museums, plays, lectures, etc. The food scene is pretty good around the Triangle too. I love Ethiopian food and was super happy to find a few between CH and Durham. And there are free buses all over town! You will be able to drive literally 5 minutes out of town and be in farmland if you want, so if that's not your deal, CH might not be either. I am personally super psyched to be getting away from the congestion of DC!

Good luck everyone with your decisions!

Did anyone else pay their desposit?! I paid mine last week! Any other MHA or similar students out there?

I'm still deciding between UNC and Emory. At this point, much of the decision may come down to cost and potential scholarship opportunities during year two of the program.

I know that the total cost of attendance for 2012-2013 out-of-state students is $51,950.00. Does anyone here know the total cost of attendance for 2012-2013 in-state students? (I'm trying to estimate how much I would pay for the second year if I were able to establish North Carolina residency.)

I'm still deciding between UNC and Emory. At this point, much of the decision may come down to cost and potential scholarship opportunities during year two of the program.

I know that the total cost of attendance for 2012-2013 out-of-state students is $51,950.00. Does anyone here know the total cost of attendance for 2012-2013 in-state students? (I'm trying to estimate how much I would pay for the second year if I were able to establish North Carolina residency.)

This http://studentaid.unc.edu/cost-of-attendance/gradprofessional/ might be helpful - I do think their estimates are a little high for room - you could definitely get an apartment for less than the $1000/month they're estimating, probably half that if you had a roommate.

Thank you! That was very helpful. I had looked around the OSSA site before, but hadn't seen that page.

I am in the same dilemma... what have you decided???? lemme knw..
I am still confused...:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Not sure if this is going to reach you but, I was wondering when you ended up hearing the final decision from UNC? I am on the waitlist for MPH/RD this round and it would ease my stress a bit to know when to expect an answer one way or the other...
thanks!

Has anyone heard about getting any scholarship or grant information? I was accepted around early February and the department (Health Behavior) expressed that I probably won't hear about it until late March/early April. This really worries me since it'll only give me about 2 weeks to decide. Does anyone know historically what percent of students get scholarships and about how much?

Also, are we supposed to get an adviser? From some of the posts above, some of you were assigned one. I don't think I did. The only piece of correspondence I got from UNC that they initiated was an email letting me know I should be getting a letter of acceptance. I eventually got it, but because of the lack of info, I was even worried if I even got in at all.