UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got a decision from HBHE , only after contacting them again.
It is an acceptance! Don't really know how I feel about it. I feel I cannot envision myself anywhere but hopkins , but UNC is still a great option.
Also surprized that this time around they replied immediately- it was 7:00 am and the email was sent from her iphone, and was extremely friendly. I guess they were not being deliberately rude before, just had nothing to tell me !

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted at UNC - HPM Department for the MHA Program!
Is there a facebook/any other group for students entering Fall 2013?
Any female graduate students here looking for roommates, we can look for an apartment together! -- PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to know about the job prospects after completing MHA from UNC Chapel Hill as an international graduate. I worked for 5 years in the pharma industry (on the business side) in the US during mid-2000. Currently working in India with another company. I know most people work with health systems after MHA, but I am more inclined to work in healthcare consulting companies. Can you guys tell what are the prospects for someone like me to get H1B visa sponsorship through a healthsystem or how many consulting companies hire out of such programs? If you know any international students in such programs and help me connect with them, that will be great.

Thanks.

I want to know about the job prospects after completing MHA from UNC Chapel Hill as an international graduate. I worked for 5 years in the pharma industry (on the business side) in the US during mid-2000. Currently working in India with another company. I know most people work with health systems after MHA, but I am more inclined to work in healthcare consulting companies. Can you guys tell what are the prospects for someone like me to get H1B visa sponsorship through a healthsystem or how many consulting companies hire out of such programs? If you know any international students in such programs and help me connect with them, that will be great.

Thanks.

Positions in both consulting and hospital administration are common after receiving an MHA degree.

As you mentioned, the biggest hurdle for international students is finding companies that will sponsor your student visa. I would recommend doing your research on consulting companies you're interested in to find out if they sponsor international students before applying/entering the program, then working to gain employment at those target organizations.

Unfortunately, as a domestic student, I do not know which consulting companies are more likely to sponsor graduates.

-waystinthyme

Positions in both consulting and hospital administration are common after receiving an MHA degree.

As you mentioned, the biggest hurdle for international students is finding companies that will sponsor your student visa. I would recommend doing your research on consulting companies you're interested in to find out if they sponsor international students before applying/entering the program, then working to gain employment at those target organizations.

Unfortunately, as a domestic student, I do not know which consulting companies are more likely to sponsor graduates.

-waystinthyme

From your time at UNC, are you aware of the approximate %age of international students that did not acquire a job at all?
I will be an international student at UNC this fall, and all this talk about the placement stats being terrible for international students is beginning to worry me. Though if I don't get placed well after the MHA at UNC, I don't know where else I would be.

From your time at UNC, are you aware of the approximate %age of international students that did not acquire a job at all?
I will be an international student at UNC this fall, and all this talk about the placement stats being terrible for international students is beginning to worry me. Though if I don't get placed well after the MHA at UNC, I don't know where else I would be.

I don't have those stats, but would recommend reaching out to somehow at the school who can put you in touch with the career services department.

-waystinthyme

I'm a current student in the Health Policy and Management Department at Gillings. If anyone has questions about the school, Chapel Hill area or the HPM program feel free to ask me here or via personal message.

Has anyone already been accepted to a program this cycle? Any upcoming interviews? What other programs are you considering? Who will definitely be in the class of 2015?

Look forward to hearing from some future Tar Heels! :)

-waystinthyme
Hi,
I got accepted in Rutgers . But UNC is my #1 option.
I got an invitation for an interview for the HPM program. THE PROBLEM; at the time of the interviews i'll be volunteering half way across the world , do you think its possible to have the interview via skype? phone? or if i want to get accepted i should make the trip and do the interview. Do you know anyone who got accepted after a phone or skype interview?

thank you for the help

Hi,
I got accepted in Rutgers . But UNC is my #1 option.
I got an invitation for an interview for the HPM program. THE PROBLEM; at the time of the interviews i'll be volunteering half way across the world , do you think its possible to have the interview via skype? phone? or if i want to get accepted i should make the trip and do the interview. Do you know anyone who got accepted after a phone or skype interview?

thank you for the help

In person interviews are required for domestic candidates; I would recommend scheduling an alternate interview date before you leave or after you return.

-waystinthyme

Thanks for posting here! UNC is one of my top four choices! I have been admitted in the Health Behavior department. I am a little concerned about it though. I noticed that the MPH does not have a thesis requirement which makes me wonder if the degree at UNC more practice-based than research-oriented. How common would you say is it for the MPH students to research with the professors and potentially publish something before graduation? I plan on eventually pursuing a doctoral degree later on so research experience means a lot to me.

Accepted to the Public Health Leadership Global Health MPH!

I reviewed the instructions for newly admitted students at the Graduate School and it says official transcripts need to be mailed in. Is this accurate for Gillings students since official transcripts were sent to SOPHAS and verified through them? I am hoping to avoid more transcript requests since I've attended several schools including one foreign university and the process is really time-consuming.

Has anyone been accepted to UNC's MPH-RD program? If so, whats the likelihood you are going to UNC? I'm currently on the wait list for this program. Is anyone else? Trying to see what the likelihood of getting off the wait list is…