UNC HOUSING - univ. of north carolina at chapel hill

https://medlinkanesthesia.com/
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prem_baba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!!!
for all students that currently reside at UNC or have already started looking for housing...

can you please post the names of the aparments, their cost, proximity to campus, and whether they fall on the bus route?

It seems to me that the school does not allocate "single" rooms to grad/prof students! which kinda stinks!!!

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Good Post prem_baba!

Also, any females looking for a roomate, pm me! I'm hoping to find a 2 bedroom apt somewhere on the bus line :)

Members don't see this ad :)
great link, thanks!:D

MuraRX, i was browsing through the unc website and found this link.. it's like studentdoctor.net for unc housing i guess..

http://housing.unc.edu/get_room/off-campus/posting_board/rental_listing.html

are there any guys from the class looking for a roommate???

I think I'm going to buy a house in Chapel Hill while in Pharm. school and am going to need roommates (male) but am really really really timid in living with classmates. I figure I'll see you guys enough as it is and it wouldn't be healthy to live with ya, too.

This link has some listings for chapel hill apartments and townhomes:
http://chapelhillrent.com/

craigslist is also a good place to look:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/

my apartment is about 3 miles from campus and costs $686 + utilities for a 2BR/2BA. It's not the newest place (there aren't many new places in CH or carrboro), but it works for me. it is on a bus line that goes right to the pharmacy school.
Let me know if you have any questions i can help with!

nme, maybe you can help me with this...when I am looking at apartment websites, they mention that they are on a certain bus line (C, J...etc). What exactly do those mean...which ones go right by campus (mainly to the pharmacy school)?

nme, maybe you can help me with this...when I am looking at apartment websites, they mention that they are on a certain bus line (C, J...etc). What exactly do those mean...which ones go right by campus (mainly to the pharmacy school)?

here's the website for the bus routes in Chapel Hill:

http://www.gotriangle.org/Bus/chtMapsAndSchedules.html

I don't have time to dig through the routes right now and figure out which ones go right by it, but if I find time to do so, I'll let you know. The pharmacy school is off of Columbia Street.

bes686,
A, CL, CM, CPX, CW, D, FCX, G, J, N, S, T, and V all go by the pharmacy school (which is pretty much all the bus routes). it just kinda depends where you are coming from as to which bus you would take, and how long your bus ride would be. some routes are more convenient than others. it's definitely confusing at first, but once you've ridden a few times, it will be simple! :) if you want, i can mail you a bus route schedule with all the routes...sometimes its easier to understand if you have a hard copy. then you can compare it to where apartments are located and see which locations are most convenient to live. hope that helps!

thanks carrol and nme!!!! the links and info you posted are great... they will def come in hand when i go look for apts!!

here is the link to the other UNC related forums on student doctor that has more housing info... this way anyone new to the site can easily access it:

CLASS of 2011:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=367868

All of this information is so helpful! I'm sure glad you guys are familiar with the school! It makes it so much easier for us newbies :D

Ok, so let's think ahead a little bit. We all get settled with our living situations, tuition/loan stuff, and are ready for school. This is of course once they tell us when the first day is! I propose we have some type of social event where we can get to know each other outside of the classroom. I can speak from my own experiences, that I'm a much nicer person when exams aren't on the horizon. How about a cookout or something to that vein? Anyone else interested?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so let's think ahead a little bit. We all get settled with our living situations, tuition/loan stuff, and are ready for school. This is of course once they tell us when the first day is! I propose we have some type of social event where we can get to know each other outside of the classroom. I can speak from my own experiences, that I'm a much nicer person when exams aren't on the horizon. How about a cookout or something to that vein? Anyone else interested?

YES. count me in! :)

i think that sounds great. it would be great to get to know each other outside of school

Count me in, too, this sounds awesome! I'm also interested in finding some people to room with (I'm male).

Hey guys, I'm going to UNC too next semester - totally psyched, I haven't posted anything yet because I've been sooo busy. But I would love to get to meet you guys - oh I'm doing campus grad. housing even though I'm from chapel hill, If you guys need anyone to show you around chapel thrill, let me know how I can help you out.

sounds like a great idea! i can't wait to meet everyone :)

Hey guys, I'm going to UNC too next semester - totally psyched, I haven't posted anything yet because I've been sooo busy. But I would love to get to meet you guys - oh I'm doing campus grad. housing even though I'm from chapel hill, If you guys need anyone to show you around chapel thrill, let me know how I can help you out.

Lomikhay... campus housing, eh? I was thinking of it also.. are you going for the odum village apartments or the whitehead dorm? i am soo confused as to what would be a good option!!!! i am going to go look at off campus housing in the next month or so...

Does anyone know what the cost is of campus housing?

^^Nevermind, I found the answer on UNC's website :)

Lomikhay... campus housing, eh? I was thinking of it also.. are you going for the odum village apartments or the whitehead dorm? i am soo confused as to what would be a good option!!!! i am going to go look at off campus housing in the next month or so...

Hey I was thinking Odum village b/c they are apartments (used to be family housing for the university now its undergrad and grad apartments) more so then whitehead which are dorms. Here are some floor plans:

http://housing.unc.edu/communities/tour/floorplans.html

But whitehead is closer to the pharm school (like across the street) Odum is more towards the hospital area. But whitehead was built in like '39. i think this information is correct - its all on the unc housing website.

So I think i want to make an appointment to visit or something in the near future (don't know if that will make a difference or not) if anyone is interested in joining me, let me know- but I'm pretty sure I'm doing on-campus housing. I'm from chapel thrill so if you have any questions about off-campus housing let me know too.

hey lomikhay, good post... the distance and direction that you posted for the campus housing is great! you can't really get that from the website. I did more research into the housing situation and I am also leaning a bit more towards odum village.. however, i still want to take a look at off-campus housing.. i think the rates for odum village are very reasonable, but i feel a little paranoid about living with someone that i really dont know.. i have been rooming with a friend from high school for the past 4 years and as much as i am excited about moving to a new place and meet new friends, i still am not at ease about living with strangers... i feel soooooo spoiled and i feel like a 'girly man'... :confused: keep on posting everyone.... i look forward to seeing what everyone ends up doing...

hey everyone! for those of you thinking about odum village, it would be very convenient. you could walk to the pharmacy school (maybe about a 15 min walk, i'm not sure exactly) or hop on a bus and be there in no time. one thing tho, i had some friends who lived there in undergrad, and they weren't the best living conditions. the apts are pretty old and not all are in the best shape. i know you are all planning on looking at them before u commit, but just thought i'd mention that! also, they were doing a lot of construction in that area, so my friends said it was pretty noisy. i'm not sure if thats all finished now, but i can let you know..
another thing, i know there is some newer family housing on campus, called baity hill. i think you have to be married, not sure if you have to have children...but if anyone was interested in that, they look very nice and are also close to the pharmacy school.

good luck searching everyone! :)

Hey everyone! For those of you that are familiar with Chapel Hill, can you tell me where is a good place to take my mom to eat lunch? She's flying in on Sunday (into RDU) and I wanted to take the opportunity to drive to Chapel Hill and show her the school. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ps--we like all types of food :)

Anyone have any opinions on Stratford Hills/Sharon Heights or Glen Lennox Cottages?? I plan on checking them out tomorrow...

What are some other good (cheap!) places to look at close to campus?

MuraRX, there's a bunch of places on Franklin street you could always try...that would probably give her (and you!) the best "chapel hill experience." Top of the Hill is one of the fancier places..i've heard the food's pretty good, but i've never been. there's always bunch of quick italian places..franklin st pizza and pasta and n.y. pizza are popular. carolina coffee shop is nice too..i guess it depends on what you're in the mood for, but if you stroll down franklin, i'm sure you'll find something :) have fun!!

bes, sorry if this is too late and you've already left, but i'll post anyway..i don't know anything about stratford hills but i do know some people who live in glen lennox..they are very close to campus and convenient to a lot of things..i think they were recently renovated too so that's always nice :)

good luck apartment hunting today!!

Anyone have any opinions on Stratford Hills/Sharon Heights or Glen Lennox Cottages?? I plan on checking them out tomorrow...

What are some other good (cheap!) places to look at close to campus?

Bes, did you find anything good? let us know.. thanks!!!

I looked at Glen Lennox Cottages, and they were really really nice -- but the bedrooms were tiny.

I found these places called Carolina Apartments in Carrboro (but really close to campus). They were cheaper and they are being rennovated currently. I think I might go with them. You guys should check them out!!

I looked at Glen Lennox Cottages, and they were really really nice -- but the bedrooms were tiny.

I found these places called Carolina Apartments in Carrboro (but really close to campus). They were cheaper and they are being rennovated currently. I think I might go with them. You guys should check them out!!

bes, were you looking at single bedroom apts? what was the cost and is there a busline that runs by it?