UNC (in-state) vs UVA (out of state)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frayedreams

Reaction score
Hi friends!!

So I've been blessed with these two great options. Let's get into it. One thing to keep in mind is that I've requested a 1-year deferral from both schools, results pending.

UNC

Pros:
  • near family
  • way lower CoA
  • amazing MD/MPH program, started a new MD/masters in education as well, which I'm super interested in
Cons
  • have a sort of "been there done that" feeling towards chapel hill
  • their match rate dropped to 93% this year which I don't know what to make of
  • strong primary care focus, but worried it might be slightly limiting

UVA
Pros
  • Hook scholars program (really cool to me as someone with an arts/humanities background)
  • Excited about maybe living in a new area, Charlotesville seems chill
  • Best friend is going, closer to other friends in the DC area
  • seems like it's lowkey more diverse... as a POC that is important to me

Cons
  • higher CoA
  • a bit lower ranked than UNC but honestly idrk how much that matters
  • further from family

Another thing is that I'm on the waitlist for Columbia (and probably also Washu) - I definitely won't be able to defer if I get in off the waitlist at either place, but I'm not sure how hard to try to get off the WL if that makes sense.. was planning on sending a letter of intent/update to Columbia (about to submit a pub as first author), but again, this is all very speculative. It'll definitely cost a million dollars more, but I feel like I should try and shoot my shot.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose UNC due to proximity to home as well as it being cheaper. You have Research Triangle, so you can still become a strong candidate for more competitive residencies there.

You can send an update/letter of intent to Columbia if you want. Worth a shot. WL movement will occur over the next few months

Reactions: 1 users
I would choose UNC due to proximity to home as well as it being cheaper. You have Research Triangle, so you can still become a strong candidate for more competitive residencies there.

You can send an update/letter of intent to Columbia if you want. Worth a shot. WL movement will occur over the next few months
oooo ty for the advice!! do you think that it's a better career decision to go with Columbia over UNC if I get in off the WL? weighing factors like tuition/CoL against the ~coumbia~ prestige.. but I feel like UNC is also pretty sick so idrk

Members don't see this ad :)
oooo ty for the advice!! do you think that it's a better career decision to go with Columbia over UNC if I get in off the WL? weighing factors like tuition/CoL against the ~coumbia~ prestige.. but I feel like UNC is also pretty sick so idrk
Depends how much more expensive it is and what your goals are. If you plan on practicing in NC for example, I don’t see too much of a purpose for Columbia. Also you mentioned asking for the 1 year deferral and how you won’t be able to do that at coming off a WL. If that’s important or necessary for you, probably better to go to UNC.

Prestige helps but UNC is a known school and residency match is up to how you do as a medical student.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to UNC.
Both are great schools with a variety of strong departments that will set you up for whatever field you desire. Your future self will thank you later for paying significantly less in loans.

Reactions: 1 user